This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Fast Food Restrants

aaron

aaron Newbie

hey i was wondering if you guys knew of any goos fast food restrants that have a good seletion of gluten-free stuff

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

beaglemania Rookie

If you live in Flordia or there's one restauratn in New Jersey(I think) you could try a Pollo Tropical. Tons of selections of gluten-free foods. www.pollotropical.com

flagbabyds Collaborator

In-n-Out is good, you just get it protein style and it works out great! very yummy, oh yeah also don't get the sauce that is iffy on weather it is gluten-free or not.

Lisa Mentor

Wendy's chilli and baked potato are gluten free

CarlaB Enthusiast

Also, Wendy's Frosties, and Chick-fil-a grilled chicken salad (no sunflower seeds or croutons, but you can get the tortilla strips instead), and waffle fries.

• 2 weeks later...
celiac3270 Collaborator

McDonald's is pretty much everywhere:

Open Original Shared Link

There was an outrage about the oil the fries were cooked in. I really feel it was much ado about nothing, but make your own decision on that.

whitney728 Newbie

The Chick-Fil-A waffle fries are gluten free (with no cross-contamination) and they're quite addictive.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

tbs19 Newbie

i just found out from my nutritionist that mcdonalds, burger king, and wendys fries are ok, but make sure that they're made in a designated fryer without the breaded food.

• 2 months later...
Liz92 Rookie

Wendys is awesome, so is Tacanos if you've heard of that. most thai restaraunts are cool, but those and tacanos aren't fast food :lol:

I go to wendys with my friends, and i'm just a bit younger then you.

~LIZZIE~ :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...
Guest lorlyn

does any1 know for sure that mcdaonals is gluten-free plzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz telllllll meeeeee :(

Wendys is awesome, so is Tacanos if you've heard of that. most thai restaraunts are cool, but those and tacanos aren't fast food
:lol:

I go to wendys with my friends, and i'm just a bit younger then you.

~LIZZIE~
:rolleyes:

Guhlia Rising Star
does any1 know for sure that mcdaonals is gluten-free plzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz telllllll meeeeee :(

Eating out is always risky, especially at a fast food restaurant. Don't expect the workers to have any clue what gluten is, not even the managers. If you're careful and only order things that are gluten free you have a decent chance of not getting sick. Use this link Open Original Shared Link to determine which foods are gluten free.

• 1 year later...
B R I A N A Apprentice
The Chick-Fil-A waffle fries are gluten free (with no cross-contamination) and they're quite addictive.

Dude those things are delicious!

digmom1014 Enthusiast

Never had a problem getting a Taco Bell Bean Tostada and rice side.

Bucsfan11 Rookie

I have had good luck at carl's jr. They have the low-carb six dollar burger. They use lettuce instead of a bun. I really like it!

• 1 month later...
ATC-BS-MS Apprentice

I have some ideas that might help anyone.

Taco Bell- has Fresco crunchy tacos (lettuce, meat, and tomatos)

has Fresco chicken bowl

Cinnamon Twists (rice noodles with cinnamon)

Applebee's- Has a great Oriental Stir Fry (Just change the breaded chicken for grilled chicken, but I am not sure about the sauce..I usually don't get it on there.)

Has a great Weight watcher's Steak and Portabello mushroom dish, potatoes and veggies

Outback Steakhouse- I have heard rumors there is a chocolate dessert that is gluten free!!!

I would suggest not getting the hashbrowns at any fast food, they are contaminated.

I have eaten the breakfast sandwich at McDonald's which has the egg not scrambled, with canadian bacon. Just ask for no mcmuffin/bun. (they always look at your weird)

My last suggestion would be Subway-

I get the Gluten free wraps at Meijer, or local grocery store. I take the wrap into the subway and they will make you a wrap, along with decreasing the price. ;) I usually keep a wrap with me when I know I might be stopping to eat somewhere, it's always a great backup.

Hope this might help anyone. I know I will keep looking.

Juliebove Rising Star

Taco Del Mar Baja Bowls or tacos with corn tortillas. All meat is safe except for the pork.

Burger King has burger patties with no bun, side salads, apple fries and maybe the French fries. They are safe at ours.

Lisa Mentor

I have some ideas that might help anyone.

Taco Bell- has Fresco crunchy tacos (lettuce, meat, and tomatos)

Applebee's- Has a great Oriental Stir Fry ee!!!

quote]

I woudl be wary of Taco Bell and Applebee's -

The Applebee's stir fry would have soy sauce, wich I suspect is NOT glutenfree. Taco Bell, only the tostatos are considered gluten free, not sure about the taco shells.

I never go to Applebee's, because it's a stuggle to find ANYTHING suitable and the staff is uninformed. Taco Bell is very limited, it's not worth it to me.

ALWAYS used extreme caution when eating at fast food, ig the food won't get cha, the cross contamination might. :o

lovegrov Collaborator

"Taco Bell- has Fresco crunchy tacos (lettuce, meat, and tomatos)

has Fresco chicken bowl

Cinnamon Twists (rice noodles with cinnamon)"

Unless TB has suddenly changed ingredients, there are NOT gluten-free. TB meat seasoning contains wheat. The TB website lists allergens and there's only three things we can have there.

Its a sure bet you cannot have the Applebee's stir fry with the sauce.

And, of course, the Outback gluten-free menu is readily available online.

richard

mamaw Community Regular

Hi

I want to clarify on Taco Bell, go to the site but the hard tacos contain wheat in the meat so that is out!

Applebee's chicken last time I checked at beginning of the year ( grilled chicken) was not gluten-free. It has gluten in the flash frozen glaze. This is the case for many bar/sport bar type places. I found this out while vacationing in Florida a year ago. We always loved Applebees & when we were seated I asked for the manager & she would not serve us because of this fact. She said many places never look at the flash frozen part only the chicken . SHe even brought out the big box to prove it - stated directly on the big box of grilled chicken. She also said that most sports bars get their foods from the same place. She was very nice & helpful. I never knew this before about the flash frozen part so I learned alot from her. We were thankful she was honest & not passed it off on us as many other places do......

hth

ATC-BS-MS Apprentice

I will have to check on the grilled chicken at Applebee's. I do not get the sauce on the stir fry because it has gluten in it.

Thanks for the advice about TB.

mamaw Community Regular

You are welcome. I know I was totally amazed that plain grilled chicken had a glaze that contained gluten. It put the stoppers on many places we loved to eat at! No other place including the Applebees close to our home ever mentioned this........

k3llyk00laid Newbie

I usually stick with Chick-fil-A waffle fries, and the grilled chicken salads there. They're always helpful and they take the bag of croutons off the top, and give me a dressing that's gluten free. The french fry cooker [here, anyway[ is dedicated to JUST the french fries, which is awesome.

McDonald's, on the other hand... almost nothing's gluten free, and the french fries are dipped in the same oil as the nuggets.

Lisa Mentor

McDonald's, on the other hand... almost nothing's gluten free, and the french fries are dipped in the same oil as the nuggets.

McDonalds has dedicated fryers just for the fries. Nuggets are not allowed. ;) You can find McD's gluten free menu in the earlier section of this thread.

psawyer Proficient

At McDonalds, there are dedicated fryers at the front of the store for potatoes (fries and hash browns). These fryers are operated by the front crew--the same ones who take your order and present it. Nuggets and everything else is cooked in the back by a different crew--the grill crew. Those items arrive at the front already wrapped.

There is some risk of cross-contamination. The grill crew member who wraps the burger has touched the bun. The front crew member who puts it into the bag touches the wrapper. That same front crew member touches the packaging for the fries (but not the fries themselves). You then touch the package of fries. If you eat them by hand, and use the same hand...

I eat fries and hash browns at McDonalds. It is a personal choice which each of us must make for ourselves.

Archived