17 replies to this topic

#1 lilliexx

lilliexx

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 12 August 2004 - 05:23 PM

smirnof vodka is on a lot of the gluten free lists i have looked at, but when i went to buy it today the bottle said it was from grain alchohol. i ended up getting monopolowa, but it was a bit pricier then smirnof. I also love that smirnoff makes different flavors!
Gluten free since July 2004

I have made it one year and feel much much better!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 lovegrov

lovegrov

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,537 posts

Posted 13 August 2004 - 05:48 AM

ALL Smirnoff vodka (except the malt drink Smirnoff Ice) is gluten-free. The grain it's made from is corn.

In reality, ALL distilling alcohol is gluten-free unless gluten is added after the distilling. Distliing takes out the harmful proteins. I know several extremely sensitive people who drink wheat- or rye-based liquors.

richard

#3 astyanax

astyanax

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 13 August 2004 - 05:52 AM

drink whisky! i found out right before i started going to this site that it was gXf. also drink cider - all US brands i've seen except for hornsby's are ok.

for whisky i recomend bushmill's.
gXf since november 1998

#4 j9n

j9n

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 13 August 2004 - 06:07 AM

I emailed Smirnoff and they said their Vodkas are gluten-free (but they did not tell me what grains). Smirnoff Ice is not gluten-free. I thought I kept the email but I can not find it.

#5 LBear

LBear

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 13 August 2004 - 12:11 PM

I just had two mixed drinks this week using Smirnoff and OJ. I got really sick the next morning. I was in and out of the bathroom probably 20 times. I'm going to stay away from hard alcohol;my stomach can't take it. Has anyone else gotten really sick after drinking a small quanity of alcohol? Just wandering if I'm the only one this has happened to.

Thanks

LBear

#6 Nadtorious

Nadtorious

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 13 August 2004 - 05:19 PM

I used to drink all my buddies under the table pre-diagnosis days (all 100 lbs. of me back then). Now, 30 lbs. later and with a healed gut, I'll have two drinks and feel drunk as a skunk. I've had lots of problems with wine lately (perhaps the sulfites?) but I'm also EXTREMELY sensitive-I haven't found a juice yet that I can tolerate-but I did have Smirnoff Triple Distilled 2 days ago-straight-and had no problems with it. Smirnoff is distilled from corn-I saw the grain thing on the back of the bottle and freaked after I bought it-but my boyfriend checked their website.
As for getting drunk easier, I've read that we absorb lots more alcohol now that we're healed (hence the getting drunk quicker thing).
Also-Ramapo Valley gluten-free beer is GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Good luck-
Nadia
Eat, drink, and be merry!

#7 Guest_gillian502_*

Guest_gillian502_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 August 2004 - 04:08 PM

could someone suggest a good red wine that they haven't had any problems with? I bought one bottle recently, and the company told me they use regular flour in the processing of their wine, which turned me off to trying it. any suggestions?

#8 lovegrov

lovegrov

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,537 posts

Posted 15 August 2004 - 09:20 AM

Flour in the processing of wine? Somebody there doesn't know what they're talking about. I've never, ever heard of a wine that wasn't gluten-free.

richard

#9 Guest_gillian502_*

Guest_gillian502_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 August 2004 - 01:57 PM

The lady I spoke to said they use flour to "hold together the barrels that they then pour the wine into, and some of the flour could have seeped into the wine in the barrel." I know it probably isn't a big deal anyway, but I'm so sensitive to even traces of gluten I got freaked out by her answer. Everything I've been reading says wines are ok, though, so I guess I should relax! Now if only I could get a straight answer on whether cigarettes are, in fact, gluten-free! :)

#10 astyanax

astyanax

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 15 August 2004 - 02:25 PM

shiraz is a good red wine, about $12 a bottle, and it's served in outback, everyone's fave restaurant!
gXf since november 1998

#11 armarti2

armarti2

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 16 August 2004 - 03:42 AM

Falesco Vitiano
Umbria (Italy) 2000 - about $10-$15 a bottle

(I think the last post was recommending Rosemount Estate Shiraz - also very good for the $$, but the other is my favorite!)

#12 debmidge

debmidge

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,566 posts

Posted 17 August 2004 - 02:20 AM

Gillian, Which winery said they use flour? Husband is very gluten senstitive and we would have to avoid them.

Thanks, Debbie
Husband has Celiac Disease and
Husband misdiagnosed for 27 yrs -
The misdiagnosis was: IBS or colitis
Mis-diagnosed from 1977 to 2003 by various gastros including one of the largest,
most prestigious medical groups in northern NJ which constantly advertises themselves as
being the "best." This GI told him it was "all in his head."
Serious Depressive state ensued
Finally Diagnosed with celiac disease in 2003
Other food sensitivities: almost all fruits, vegetables, spices, eggs, nuts, yeast, fried foods, roughage, soy.
Needs to gain back at least 25 lbs. of the 40 lbs pounds he lost - lost a great amout of body fat and muscle
Developed neuropathy in 2005
Now has lymphadema 2006
It is my opinion that his subsequent disorders could have been avoided had he been diagnosed sooner by any of the dozen or so doctors he saw between 1977 to 2003

#13 Guest_gillian502_*

Guest_gillian502_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 August 2004 - 10:45 AM

The wine I'd stay away from is Woodbridge by Robert Mondavi, since they told me about the flour used in the barrels.

#14 coxy

coxy

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 10 September 2004 - 07:32 AM

My family owns a vineyard in tuscany and I've never heard of flour being used at any point of any process. if that helps.

#15 Fatbobco

Fatbobco

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 09:07 PM

I stumbled upon your site by accident, as I was trying to find out about Smirnoff.
Good to know that it is G,F.
If anyone is coming to New Zealand on vacation, there is G,F beer here too (only found 1 so far)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: