This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Headaches Related To Celiac?

mac3

mac3 Apprentice

My daughter was diagnosed in April this year with celiac disease. The last month she's been complaining about fairly consistent headaches. Ibuprofen and tylenol seem to work but I would like to find out what the underlying cause is...if I can. Does anyone out there have any information as to whether her headaches are related to the celiac disease or not?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

trents Grand Master

Have you had her checked for other food allergies/sensitivities? They can often cause headaches and celiacs tend to develop sensitivities to other foods that don't contain gluten. It comes with the territory. The damage to the intestinal mucosa allows incompletely digested food molecules into the bloodstream where they ae interpreted by the body's immune system as invaders. How old is your daughter?

Steve

Guest cassidy

What were her symptoms before going gluten-free?

mac3 Apprentice

My daughter is 10. Before her diagnosis she would get pale and complain of a stomach ache pretty much every time we ate...then she'd spend 20 minutes in the bathroom and not eat anymore even though she wasn't full. She has only complained of a stomachache once...maybe twice...since we've gone gluten free. It's just been the past month that the headaches have become an issue. The other culprit is that it might be her glasses...I just tend to question the celiac disease first! She is also slightly allergic to milk.

Guest cassidy

I had headaches before going gluten-free and I still get them now when I'm glutened. If she has always had stomach symptoms when she is glutened then I would think the headaches would only be tied to gluten if she got them at the same time as the stomach aches. If you have been very careful with her diet, then I would look for other answers. Hopefully it is the glasses becauses that is an easy fix.

mike007 Newbie
My daughter was diagnosed in April this year with celiac disease. The last month she's been complaining about fairly consistent headaches. Ibuprofen and tylenol seem to work but I would like to find out what the underlying cause is...if I can. Does anyone out there have any information as to whether her headaches are related to the celiac disease or not?

I don't know if this will help her or not but I was diagnosed with celiac disease a few years ago and I suffer from chemical sensitivities and get severe headaches when I am around fresh paint, solvents, people wearing

perfume, etc. These substances are classified as contianing volitile organic compounds or voc's. Even new computers or computer monitors can give off low levels of voc's. I hope that that is not her problem but if it is then keeping away from the offending chemical substances should help.

• 2 weeks later...
mac3 Apprentice

Time has gotten away from me and I failed to check the messages here 'til today! Whoops. Thanks for your input - my mind doesn't get as carried away when there's input coming from another source!! She's still getting headaches. I can't think of any perfumes, paints, in the house...her whiteboard markers might be bothering her but that wouldn't explain the outdoor-headaches. I've been working hard at going totally gluten-free but I've unknowingly slipped up a couple of times so I wouldn't say that I've been 100% perfect there. We'll check-out the glasses too. Again, thank you all!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

tarnalberry Community Regular

Dairy gave me headaches, before I discovered I was intolerant to it (through an elimination diet) and removed it from my diet.

DEE BAERTSCH Newbie

Before I found out I had celiac disease I had headaches every day. Now that I'm gluten free they are gone. If I do get gluttened I will get a headache; I no longer get diarrhea. Your reaction to gluten can change as you have less in your diet. The important thing is to get good at finding where the gluten is. It is very easy to inadvertently ingest gluten. Your daughter will have to be the most vigilant; it must be impossible for you to always prevent it. To be a celiac has to be the hardest on children. Good Luck!

Dee

azmom3 Contributor

Does she have any allergies (other than milk), seasonal or environmental? Any sinus problems? (sinus pain, drainage, coughing from post-nasal drip, sore throat, etc.)? Have you had a change in weather in the last month? Did she start any new medications that might have this as a side effect?

Archived