This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

I Am Now Treated For Low Thyroid

Ursa Major

Ursa Major Collaborator

Well, I saw my naturopathic doctor on Thursday. I showed him my temperature chart. And even though with the adrenal medicine I have been taking my temps have very slowly started to come up, they are still way, way too low (average still about 35.6, which is 96.08 degree Fahrenheit). And THAT is a significant improvement over my temps just two weeks ago. :ph34r: Also, my temps were jumping all over the place all through the day.

Anyway, now he has put me on a medicine called Thyroid Px, which is a powerful herbal thyroid medication. Open Original Shared Link. I am still taking the adrenal medicine, as well as a good multivitamin (a hypoallergic one from Open Original Shared Link, a vitamin B complex, and calcium/magnesium with vitamin D.

He wanted to do the iodine test, where you paint a two-inch square on your skin to find out if you're iodine deficient. But he laughed when I told him I already did that, and it was completely gone within 15 hours, indicating a deficiency (he claimed I spoil all his fun, he enjoys painting iodine on patient's arms :blink: ).

It is absolutely amazing how many health problems can be caused by Wilson's Temperature Syndrome (meaning, you have consistently temperatures below normal, which slows down your whole metabolism and can devastate your health, while your traditional thyroid tests all come back as fine).

Here is a partial list of possible symptoms of low body temps (which are usually brought on by stress, accident, really, any very stressful event, just like celiac disease). Open Original Shared Link Click on the link for a more complete checklist for more info.

Here is the link to the home page of the site. It is amazing, anybody who has low body temperature ought to read him/herself through this site. Then click on the link to find a doctor in your area. First you put in your country, then your state/province to find a doctor who knows how to treat this, and understand, and who will be able to administer the treatment. Open Original Shared Link

Luckily for me, my doctor just attended a seminar last weekend and learned about all that, and had brought the medication back with him. You can buy other, less powerful meds from the site, but the one I am taking now is only sold to health professionals, as they can be dangerous if not monitored and administered by a doctor.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Corkdarrr Enthusiast

Thanks for the update, Ursula! I am still in the midst of my hypothyroid battle, and I'm devouring any info I can get my hands on.

Looking at the symptom list I was just reminded...During my last drs appointment I told my dr about celiac and how I thought my thyroid was still low. He looked at my skin, hair and nails, which are all in fine, healthy shape and immediately ruled it out. Grrr.

Courtney

CarlaB Enthusiast

I'm glad you're getting some answers, Ursula. Keep us posted on your progress. Are you feeling any better yet?

liljules5 Rookie

That is a great site. I have been on Cytomel since Feb 21 06 and I feel so much better. Those are all the same symptoms I presented my doctor with. Although she didnt call it Wilson's Temp Syndrome, luckily I was able to convince her that there was a problem that needed to be addressed. My thyroid tests all came back "normal" but since being on the meds I have improved greatly.... Thanks for the links!

jerseyangel Proficient

This is very interesting, Ursula. How are you feeling now--any change?

I have always had a lower than normal temperature.

Ursa Major Collaborator

I don't really feel any different yet. I've only started the pills on Thursday, and I'm only taking one a day at this point. Tomorrow I'll start taking two a day for three days, and after that three a day. I think by then I should REALLY notice a difference.

But I found that when I took my temperatures yesterday that they have started to really go up already (I still have to chart temps three times a day for at least another month). So, the medicine is having an effect.

Courtney, why don't you check if there is a doctor in your area who would administer those meds from the site I linked to? They say you can do the WT3 one on your own if you had to, but I believe it is better done under the care of a doctor.

Patti, I have always been told that for some people a lower than normal temperature is normal for them. Apparently that is nonsense. If our temperature is lower than the normal temperature is supposed to be, it slows down our whole system, including the bowels! Which will lead to things like Crohn's for instance. This doctor says even diverticulites went away with his treatments.

Corkdarrr Enthusiast

Ursula, I checked. :( My state isn't even listed! The closest doctor is in Asheville in North Carolina.

Either way, I am in the midst of doing a massive thyroid dr. search because something needs to be done! I am having a lot of trouble finding a doctor in my area that I don't have to drive several hours to get to, although I am willing to do just that if that's how it's going to be.

Please continue to keep us posted on all your happenings!

Courtney

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Ursa Major Collaborator

Courtney, if I was you, I'd email Dr. Wilson to ask him if he knows of a doctor who could help you. Or if you could be treated by him long distance, or something like that. There must be a way to do this. Most doctors know nothing about this yet, I hope that medical schools catch up one of these days and teach doctors about low temps being a thyroid problem.

jerseyangel Proficient

Ursula,

Thanks! I most likely do have a problem in this area, but I know my doctor would just give me that blank look--and we all know what she's thinking!

I need to find someone here that understands this stuff. Ugh--why are these things so hard????

I had her do the full (as "full" as she saw fit to do) thyroid panel a couple of months ago--she said it was normal--although I did not see the results for myself. I know she did the TSH, T3 and T4.

My maternal grandmother had thyroid problems--and ended up having a large goiter removed when I was little. This is the side of the family that also has autoimmune problems--two women have MS, and there are various other conditions.

CarlaB Enthusiast

For those of you who cannot find a doc to work with, you can buy over-the-counter glandular thyroid without a prescription. I take it. Start with a small amount, take your temp. and keep adding to it until your temps. are at least 97.6 when you wake up.

Ursa Major Collaborator
Ursula,

Thanks! I most likely do have a problem in this area, but I know my doctor would just give me that blank look--and we all know what she's thinking!

I need to find someone here that understands this stuff. Ugh--why are these things so hard????

I had her do the full (as "full" as she saw fit to do) thyroid panel a couple of months ago--she said it was normal--although I did not see the results for myself. I know she did the TSH, T3 and T4.

My maternal grandmother had thyroid problems--and ended up having a large goiter removed when I was little. This is the side of the family that also has autoimmune problems--two women have MS, and there are various other conditions.

Patti, always demand to know the exact numbers, or to be given a copy of the results. I got a copy for the naturopath (who asked me if I kept one for myself, because I should, he's a good doctor), but not all the results were in. So, I called to get those a few days later. The nurse told me that 'everything is fine'. I asked her to give me the numbers, and to give me the numbers of what is considered normal for comparison. Because different labs might use different scales for their normals.

I found that our lab hasn't got the message about the new TSH levels yet. They declare TSH levels to be normal if they're in between 0.35 to 5.00 mU/L. The new guidelines say that anybody who's level is above 3.00 is hypothyroid. Mine is 3.76, and obviously NOT normal, and indicates low thyroid function. Of course, they told me I am fine, which isn't true.

So, you need to call your doctor's office and ask to get a copy of those lab results. Don't let them tell you that you can't have them, because it is your right to get a copy. If you have a copy, you can also photocopy that and take it to a naturopath. That way your doctor won't know you're seeing somebody else as well. Some doctors resent you for doing that, and might not treat you very well as a result.

jerseyangel Proficient

I have an appointment on Thursday for a blood pressure check. I will ask then for a copy of those tests.

I may be back to bother you for your opinion of the results!! :D

Ursa Major Collaborator
For those of you who cannot find a doc to work with, you can buy over-the-counter glandular thyroid without a prescription. I take it. Start with a small amount, take your temp. and keep adding to it until your temps. are at least 97.6 when you wake up.

Carla, it's true, you can do that, and it's certainly better than nothing. But it would likely mean that you have to always keep taking it to stay feeling well.

If you would read through Dr. Wilson's website, you'd find that his treatment will restore normal thyroid function. After being done with his treatment (which may last a year, often less), people stop the medicine and their thyroid actually keeps functioning properly on it's own. He calls it 'restorative medicine', because people actually get completely healed, rather than having to take thyroid meds for the rest of their lives. In fact, he says that once people are through with the treatment, they will then feel even better off the meds than they did on them.

Here is actually a doctor who tells patients that he will make them so well they won't need him and his medicines any more. There aren't many doctors like that these days (pharmaceutical companies will likely hate him :ph34r: ).

jerseyangel Proficient
Here is actually a doctor who tells patients that he will make them so well they won't need him and his medicines any more. There aren't many doctors like that these days (pharmaceutical companies will likely hate him :ph34r: ).

Not many at all--he is a vanishing breed!

Ursa Major Collaborator
I have an appointment on Thursday for a blood pressure check. I will ask then for a copy of those tests.

I may be back to bother you for your opinion of the results!! :D

Patti, you need to call and ask them to have the copy ready for you. Otherwise they might not give it to you on Thursday, because they may not have time to do it then.

My naturopath took my blood pressure on Thursday, too, because I found it was too high when I checked it myself (at the pharmacy) the week before. It was normal (120 over 80). He told me that in order to get a valid blood pressure reading, you need to take it several times a day over the course of a few days, if you think that there is a concern. Because your blood pressure varies with your circumstances. If you're anxious, if you've had a fright, if you've been in a rush etc., it could be too high. You need to be very relaxed to get a valid reading. Most people's blood pressure goes up when going to the doctor's office, because doctors make them anxious. Also, a lot of doctors are too ignorant to understand that TALKING to somebody will inevitably make your BP go up, and ask the patient questions while taking their BP!

jerseyangel Proficient
Patti, you need to call and ask them to have the copy ready for you. Otherwise they might not give it to you on Thursday, because they may not have time to do it then.

My naturopath took my blood pressure on Thursday, too, because I found it was too high when I checked it myself (at the pharmacy) the week before. It was normal (120 over 80). He told me that in order to get a valid blood pressure reading, you need to take it several times a day over the course of a few days, if you think that there is a concern. Because your blood pressure varies with your circumstances. If you're anxious, if you've had a fright, if you've been in a rush etc., it could be too high. You need to be very relaxed to get a valid reading. Most people's blood pressure goes up when going to the doctor's office, because doctors make them anxious. Also, a lot of doctors are too ignorant to understand that TALKING to somebody will inevitably make your BP go up, and ask the patient questions while taking their BP!

Oh--good point. I'll call Monday morning so they have plenty of time (and no excuses ;) )

I always have a high BP reading in the doctor's office. Intrestingly, it's just in her office--it's always normal at the GYN's office :unsure:

I bought my own BP cuff to use at home, and I do monitor it here. I always take it the morning that I go to her, because I know it'll be high, and I tell her--this morning it was such and such. It seems like such a waste of time, really.

CarlaB Enthusiast

Ursula, I'll have to check that out ... definately sounds like a winner. I'm so happy you have found someone who can help you. I've been worried about you! I think my problems go beyond adrenal/thyroid. My temps. are about 98 in the morning, I've been supporting my adrenals for three months, and no change. I think there's something else at work in me, but it sounds like you've found your underlying issue!

Ursa Major Collaborator
Ursula, I'll have to check that out ... definately sounds like a winner. I'm so happy you have found someone who can help you. I've been worried about you! I think my problems go beyond adrenal/thyroid. My temps. are about 98 in the morning, I've been supporting my adrenals for three months, and no change. I think there's something else at work in me, but it sounds like you've found your underlying issue!

Carla, maybe the over the counter thyroid pills you're taking are just not right for you, and possibly, you need to switch to something better, for your adrenals as well.

Can't you ask your doctor to get the meds from Dr. Wilson in, so you can try them? They sell the powerful ones only to doctors. On the other hand, there are other supplements they sell to anybody, and even those might be enough for you. It's worth a try.

But weren't you saying that you were slowly having more energy? Have you stopped improving? I am sorry to hear that. Keep searching, never give up! I am glad I didn't, even though I sure felt like giving up many times.

What are the symptoms you're still having? Have you ruled out all possible food intolerances?

Oh, I hate having to go back to the drawing board, I've had to do that SO many times! Over the years, I thought often I had found the answer, only to find out it was only a fraction of it, or it was something else altogether. Nobody would listen to me anymore, because they thought I was a hypochondriac and wanted attention. If I told them I thought I figured it out, they'd just say, 'yeah, sure' and go on with what they were doing. But they perked up when suddenly I started REALLY getting better after going off gluten!

I hope you figure it out before you're my age, in fact, I'll pray that you will find your answers REALLY soon!

georgie Enthusiast

Good news Ursula :) Keep me posted. Wilsons works for some folks but most still need Armour. If your temps don't improve remember that. And T3 only for some folks may work for awhile , then they plateau out at an unwell state with a few Hypo symptoms still remaining. stopthethyroidmadness has treated 1000s and generally find that Armour works much better. Its a supplement as well, and natural. Wilsons didn't work for me or my husband. Most of the top Thyroid Drs around the world are using Armour and consider Wilsons to not be the best. There has just been a huge conference in Paris for Hertoghe trained Drs. It was his great grandfather that pioneered Armour therapy back in 1880s. It was used for 100 years then Big Pharma decided to step in and make synthetic Thyroid meds :( . More money for Big Pharma is they don't actually 'cure' people :lol:

CarlaB Enthusiast

Thank you, Ursula. :) I don't think it's the thryoid since my temps are so good. I thought I was doing better, but I think the feeling better was just my natural cycle of good then bad. Overall, I'm just the same. We're starting to look at other things. I get tested for Lyme in about a week. After that, I don't know. I almost feel like the gluten intolerance is a result of another underlying problem. I got a little better gluten-free, but not completely.

Ursa Major Collaborator

Georgie, Dr. Wilson says that Armour isn't nearly as good, and that HIS patients are doing better than the people on Armour. My opinion is that they're both right, as in, that some people need Armour, and others do better on Dr. Wilson's supplements. As in so many things, there might not be just one solution that works for everybody.

Plus, I am NOT taking what you and your husband were likely taking that didn't work, but a supplement that you can only get through a doctor. This is the list of ingredients: Iodine (from iodine, iodide, and Diiodotyrosine): 11.34 mg; Selenium, 200 mcg; Zinc (from 10 mg Zinc Citrate), 3.3 mg; Guggul Gum resin (2.5% guggulsterones), 550 mg; Blue Flag root, 550 mg; Fucus herb (Kelp), 200 mg; and Diiodotyrosine, 400 mg.

My doctor was originally considering Armour, but when it became obvious that I am iodine deficient, decided that this medicine was the right one for me. Now, if it won't work the way we're hoping, he will look at alternatives. This is the first try of fixing my thyroid problem. We're going to give it a fair chance before changing anything.

My first temperature reading of the day today was 36.1 (something pretty much unheard of for me), meaning, my temperature is definitely going up. So, something good is happening.

Carla, since two of your kids are gluten intolerant as well, I am sure it is ONE of your problems. What brought on what is obviously always debatable, and you'll never figure it out.

But getting tested for Lyme disease is a good idea. You never know what could be 'it', and you do have the symptoms. I wished I had some ideas for you! But if I come across something that sounds like it could be your problem, I'll let you know.

georgie Enthusiast

CarlaB, Have you been tested for b12? Pernicious Anaemia is autoimmune as well as Celiac. I have that and also Thyroid - so bad luck comes in 3s for me :(

georgie Enthusiast

Ursula, Just be aware that Wilsons is still considered alternate and that Armour is a stronger and proven med. So if you don't get where you want to go with your Wilson meds - then there are other options available. Most people I know seem to think that Wilson has just put a label to HypoThyroidism which is a general complaint and can be treated by any Dr - not just himself. How many tablets are you taking a day? We take some of those ingredients, but much more Iodine. I take 25mg Iodine and am deciding whether to go to 50mg which is recommended by Iodine list and Dr. I tried Kelp when a teenager and it was far too mild for me.We take Selenium but its concentrated and a drop a day , and the bottle has lasted us 6 months- also from our Dr.. Zinc. Do you take Magnesium ? Our Dr tested us, and hubbie needed that and it also helps pain.

Our Dr used straight T3( Cytomel) meds on us initially - the synthetic one . T3 is the action T hormone. T4 is the storage. Most Drs use T4( Synthroid) but our Dr refuses to even use that( she has Thyroid herself). When T3 didn't work - we went to Armour and its been like the change from night and day. Its truly amazing. In the 6 months I have been on List - have heard so many similar stories. One lady was near suicidal with pain, and has bounced back. Others lost excess weight, Fibro, CFS, the list goes on and on. It can take a while - 12 - 18 months - but then you feel like a teenager again! ( without the pimples :lol: )

So similar paths but slightly different approaches. My Thyroid has nodules and is partly 'dead' as treatment was not started earlier. Perhaps if you are in early stages of Thyroid failure then your meds may work. However, its probably much more expensive way to treat a simple low Thyroid problem. Its good that Drs like Wilson are aware that blood tests are not accurate. But his exclusive treatment plan rings alarm bells for me.

Many of the people I talk with have had low Thyroid all their lives and Drs have just told them 'its normal' and now find out that Dr never did all the testing or couldn't intepret the results. So they are pretty ill by the time they find STTM and the Thyroid lists. :rolleyes:

Ursa Major Collaborator

Georgie, as I said at the beginning of this thread, I was supposed to take one pill a day for three days, two for three days, and then three a day after that. Meaning, I'll be getting about 35 mg of iodine a day within three days. And yes, I am taking a Calcium, Magnesium and vitamin D supplement, as well as a B complex.

What Dr. Wilson says is not that his is the only treatment that works, and he has also not put a new label on hypothyroidism. What he is saying is, that when all tests come back looking fine, because the thyroid is still sort of working, most doctors don't care about temperatures being low. So, because you're not officially considered hypothyroid until your values go way down, he coined the sub-clinical variation 'Wilson's Temperature Syndrome', so doctors will get it. And so people won't keep saying, 'well, my thyroid tests were normal, how can I be hypothyroid?', rather than seeing that the low temperatures mean that something IS wrong. Because the only obvious symptom is low temperature, that's what he calls it.

And I don't care if Wilson's treatment is still considered alternate. ALL new treatments appear to be considered alternate, especially if the treatment is for something that is not even recognized to be a problem by most doctors.

And as you said, the Cytomel you used at the beginning was synthetic T3, and I don't think that any synthetic hormones are a good thing to use, I wouldn't trust them (or take them). It doesn't surprise me that it didn't work. Dr. Wilson doesn't use synthetic T3.

Anyway, we'll see what happens. I don't believe that what I'm doing will be more expensive than using Armour. To see my naturopath costs me $50.00 a visit (our insurance will give us $300.00 a year for alternative medicine, so the first six visits are paid for). The adrenal med. costs about $45.00, and the thyroid med was $65.00 for 120 caps. So, the treatment costs about $100.00 a month. It is well worth it if I get better.

Fiddle-Faddle Community Regular

Thank you , Ursula, for posting all this information (and you too, Georgie). This is something I ought to look into once my shoulder is fully recovered. I have been feeling very good energy-level wise, but I have been unusually cold recently--and I have always worn socks to bed (much to my DH's amusement)!. I need to get a decent thermometer and start taking temps, and I guess I need to get some iodine and do a skin patch test!

Very, very interesting information. Ursula, by any chancedo you think your naturopath might recommend one in Pittsburgh? Thee are a few here, but one that I took my son to for a simple vision test (he is also an optholmologist) wanted to put the whole family on hundreds of dollars worth of supplements--and none uof us were complaining of health ailments! So that kind of soured me to start with, and then when I received a flyer from a naturopath starting up not far from my home, I noticed that the flyer was really poorly written, which made me wonder about the doctor authorizing its release.

Archived