2 replies to this topic

#1 lauriel234

lauriel234

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 13 August 2004 - 06:55 AM

My daughter, 15, had a celiac reaction to something (we're really not sure to what, she's been so careful) two days ago. This is the first one in a long time, so we're lucky, but... her stomach always seems to hurt her for 1-2 days after she gets sick (throws up). Does anyone know why it hurts, or anything that works to settle it down faster (her doctor doesn't seem to have any answers about this). Any tips or ideas would be much appreciated.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 rattaway

rattaway

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 13 August 2004 - 07:25 AM

I don't have the answers, but a friend suggests peppermint tea. I don't have gluten reactions that cause me to throw up, but I do get migraines and take Motrin, it is a pain reliever and anti inflammatory so maybe that could help too?
Sorry your daughter is hurting. We moms hurt when they hurt don't we?

Best Wishes, Rian

#3 burdee

burdee

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,400 posts

Posted 13 August 2004 - 10:13 AM

Lauriel: This is my unmedical, but very personal interpretation from reading everything about celiac disease and painful reactions:

When we celiacs ingest gluten, our bodies create antibodies to that gluten. However our small intestinal villi also try to ingest that gluten protein like other nutrients. So the antibodies attack both the gluten and our own intestinal villi. That causes bloating, gas, cramping and either diarrhea or constipation, albeit somewhat delayed, because of time for digestion (my reactions start 3-5 hours after ingesting gluten). So even after all the antibody attack and reactions, our intestines may be sore for DAYS afterwards. With gluten I tend to have one day of bloating and gas, one day of dull cramping pain, one day of EXCRUCIATING pain, and then another day of cramps and another day of bloating and gas (5 days of HELL :o ). Thereafter I just feel sore for a while.

However, those undigested gluten proteins (called peptides or gluten digests after combining with digestive enzymes) can also leak from the intestines into the blood stream and affect ANY part of the body. That's why there are many other symptoms and diseases associated with celiac.

If your daughter has diarrhea, there are non drug or supplement remedies like coconut (does she like coconut macaroons?) and taking Calcium Citrate. In another topic on this board, many have found 'drug' diarrhea remedies often contain gluten. For constipation, more gluten free fiber and liquids work. (I've learned many laxatives contain either sorbitol which can cause cramping or forms of gluten). However, I've found that peppermint or chamomile tea (very strong and LOTS of it) as well as yoga or pilates positions emphasizing the stomach/abdomen help with bloating, gas and cramping. Also just getting out and walking around helps. ;)
BURDEE

Gluten, dairy, soy, egg, cane sugar, vanilla and nutmeg free. Enterolab diagnosed gluten/casein intolerant 7/04; soy intolerant 8/07. ELISA test diagnosed egg/cane sugar IgG allergies 8/06; vanilla/nutmeg 8/06. 2006-10 diagnosed by DNA Microbial stool tests and successfully treated: Klebsiella, Enterobacter Cloaecae, Cryptosporidia, Candida, C-diff, Achromobacter, H. Pylori and Dientamoeba Fragilis. 6/10 Heidelberg capsule test diagnosed hypochloridia. Vitamin D deficiency, hypothyroiditis, hypochloridia and low white blood cells caused vulnerability to infections. I now take Betaine HCl, probiotics, Vitamin D and T3 thyroid supplement to maintain immunity.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: