This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Any Problem With Frozen Chicken?

Aerin328

Aerin328 Apprentice

We purchased a brand of frozen precut chicken filets called Pilgrim's Pride, noticed when I got home it says they are "soaked in chicken broth to add flavor." Fearing the broth could be glutenous (as it often is in canned soups) I went to their website and they specifically list the broth ingredients separately as, "Chicken broth, sodium phosphates." Does this mean it should be safe? (I assume as the broth itself does not list wheat should be OK?) Anyone else ever had an issue with Pilgrim's Pride or frozen chicken at all? Thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Lisa Mentor

I think that it should be ok. Sodium (salt). I would eat it, as it did not list wheat. And I am not familiar with the brand. I would feel better if someone else would click in.

Aerin328 Apprentice

Thanks Momma Goose, hopefully someone else will add their $0.02. Meanwhile I couldn't wait and Had the chicken last night and so far no wreckage- hopefully it's OK! Thanks again!

jaten Enthusiast

We eat Pilgrim's Pride chicken fairly often with no problems. We get it at WalMart here. I'm curious though because while we've never had the specific type you're talking about, the ones we usually buy (boneless breast or tenderloin) say gluten free on the pkg...and really seem to be because I don't react.

I'd be interested in knowing why this one type of Pilgrim's Pride chicken isn't marked gluten free if their policy is to mark other of their chicken products gluten free. (Or maybe it is, and you were wondering if you can trust it)

If it's not marked gluten-free, I'd investigate further. If it is marked gluten-free, based on my experience with this company, I'd say you can trust it.

lovegrov Collaborator

Any plain raw meat product is required to list a grain if it's added in. After more than 5 years, I've still never personally seen a plain raw meat product that has gluten added. I've heard there was some beef at Walmart, but, as required, it was clearly marked.

richard

penguin Community Regular

We buy those chicken filets at Sam's every month, and I've never had a problem.

jaten Enthusiast
Any plain raw meat product is required to list a grain if it's added in. After more than 5 years, I've still never personally seen a plain raw meat product that has gluten added. I've heard there was some beef at Walmart, but, as required, it was clearly marked.

richard

Thank you, Richard. That's excellent information to have!

Question: "Any plain, raw meat product is required to list a grain if it's added...." Would "plain" include a meat product that states it's soaked in chicken broth?

The ones I eat may be the very same as we're talking about here. I don't know and don't have a package in. I'll have to look next time.

Thanks again!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Aerin328 Apprentice

Thanks to all the replies, this is very helpful!!

• 3 weeks later...
white Newbie
Thanks to all the replies, this is very helpful!!

Hi, I've just saw your post. we used "pilgrims pride 100% natural chicken" for the last 2 months. At the back of the package it says "Gluten Free" and also lists natural chicken broth ingredients as: chicken broth, salt, carrageenan".

My husband was not feeling well for the last two weeks - we checked all the food again and again - We dont know what carrageenan is, so to be on the safe side, we eat fish instead of chicken now, he has no stomach/intestine pain.

Lisa Mentor

did you look it up on the internet and researched what it is? I think that perhaps his illness was do to something else. But not being there, I have no clue.

Archived