This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Might Someone Find This Useful?

eKatherine

eKatherine Rookie

It's a little educational flash movie about celiac with a sort of a diagnostic flowchart based on what people may experience in their health explorations. Tell me if you find any broken links in it.

Open Original Shared Link

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

gf4life Enthusiast

It is a nice little flowchart, but it should say that gluten is in wheat, rye, barley and sometimes oats. It is misleading to say it is only in wheat.

I did not find any broken links.

Ursa Major Collaborator

Katherine, I love it, and it works perfectly. The only problem is, that you say at the very beginning that gluten is the protein from wheat. You don't mention rye or barley, and so people that use your fabulous flow-chart may not understand that rye and barley contain gluten, too.

If you fix that, I think it will truly be excellent.

tarnalberry Community Regular

hehe... pardon the list, but it's a logic diagram, and me... a bad combination...

I think the flow is incorrect. You can say "I'm sick", then "Research on the internet", then "Try the gluten-free diet", then say "I'm still sick", then "Look into other medical issues", then "Yes, I feel better", and yet you still say that the result is to follow a gluten-free diet for life. The responses didn't actually indicate the gluten-free diet making any difference, and did indicate finding a different problem that, when addressed resolved the issue. In a situation like this, it actually could be something that is not celiac disease, and the diet is not necessary at all.

Additionally, the text after "not feeling better on the diet" and "find hidden gluten" and "yes I feel better" says something about 'congrats on finding hidden gluten and other intolerances'. The responses don't indicate that any other intolerances have been found.

If you select "I'm sick", "internet research", "do nothing", and "die from it", you get something referencing 'even if you were following doctors orders', which doesn't apply to the answers.

You don't seem to have an option for a doctor thinking that you are celiac and suggesting testing for it. I may have missed that in the flow.

And the response, after the positive test result, that the doctor tells you the diet is hard and expensive, seems very very negative. While I've had doctors say the diet is tough, I don't know that I've heard one - on a doctor agreed upon positive - advise a patient to forgo the gluten-free diet, at least in the past five or ten years. Ambiguous tests are different.

I like the point you're trying to make about paying attention to your body, but almost every possibility turns up "go gluten free forever", and for 132 out of 133 people, that's not necessarily the answer. Covering the issue of ambiguous tests or ambiguous health (being either sick or not isn't always binary) would be nice too.

But, all criticism aside, as a start, it's nice. It's presented well, and though the format can leave out nuances, that just aids the simplicity. The flash work was very nice - it's very readable, aesthetically pleasing, and I never found any broken links. The ideas in each frame that you're trying to speak to are a fabulous start, and definitely something worth highlighting.

2Boys4Me Enthusiast

I followed the chart and encountered a problem. I said "I appear healthy".

My son has celiac so "I have known risk factors".

Did the doctor screen me? "Yes".

Doctor says the diet is too hard and since I appear healthy I do NOT start the diet.

Then the last two pages of text are stuck in between the dissolve from one page to the next.

Ditto what the others said about mentioning rye, barley and malt in addition to wheat.

(and you spelled susceptible wrong :ph34r: )

eKatherine Rookie
hehe... pardon the list, but it's a logic diagram, and me... a bad combination...

I think the flow is incorrect. You can say "I'm sick", then "Research on the internet", then "Try the gluten-free diet", then say "I'm still sick", then "Look into other medical issues", then "Yes, I feel better", and yet you still say that the result is to follow a gluten-free diet for life. The responses didn't actually indicate the gluten-free diet making any difference, and did indicate finding a different problem that, when addressed resolved the issue. In a situation like this, it actually could be something that is not celiac disease, and the diet is not necessary at all.

When you get down to the three remaining issues, there's a loop - you are asked if you're all better. If you answer no, you may stay in that loop indefinitely, looking for answers. Dr. Fine's studies show that 60% of people who go gluten free find their health improves, even though they may have tested negative on the Enterolab, and also that most people who think they are gluten-intolerant are. This assumes that if you think you've got celiac, you will improve at least somewhat on the gluten free diet.

Additionally, the text after "not feeling better on the diet" and "find hidden gluten" and "yes I feel better" says something about 'congrats on finding hidden gluten and other intolerances'. The responses don't indicate that any other intolerances have been found.

Added 'and/or'.

If you select "I'm sick", "internet research", "do nothing", and "die from it", you get something referencing 'even if you were following doctors orders', which doesn't apply to the answers.

The wording is intended to cover death from celiac complications whether you were following a doctor's advice or not. That's what it means to me.

You don't seem to have an option for a doctor thinking that you are celiac and suggesting testing for it. I may have missed that in the flow.

georgie Enthusiast

I love it ! But you only mention Americans. What about us in the rest of the world ? :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

eKatherine Rookie
I love it ! But you only mention Americans. What about us in the rest of the world ? :)

What you're looking at is about 20 hours of unpaid work. The rest of the world is going to have to do their own.

2Boys4Me Enthusiast
I fixed the broken dissolve a while ago. Are you just pointing that out as a point of reference to find that scene, or are you saying you don't like the logic of giving the choice to stay gluten-free or not?

Just pointing it out as a frame of reference to find the scene. I don't have the vaguest idea how your software works and I couldn't figure out how else to tell you where to find it. You must have been fixing it while I was looking at it, or right after.

Fiddle-Faddle Community Regular

Wow, nice work!

One thing really jumped out at me: You wrote, "You appear healthy." This seems to imply that there is no chance that somebody might actually BE healthy. That's kind of a turn-off--you've left no room for the possibility that somebody reading your flow chart might NOT have celiac.

I also thought you might like to add it takes an average of 11 years for a celiac to be correctly diagnosed.

Archived