This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

How Long For Your Kids React To Gluten?

kimber

kimber Enthusiast

Hi everyone

I'm not sure Zach is celiac but believe he is gluten intolerant

I can't think of anything new he had but today he woke lethargic, cranky, DARK eyes and I am just wondering, what is the norm as far as your child eating something, then having a reaction

Thanks for any insight

Kim

Zach and Ava's mom

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

grapegrace Newbie

my son was diagnosed as "gluten sensitive" in sept and we stared the gluten free diet right away. If he eats something he isnt supposed to at daycare, i can usually tell by the middle of the night, he wakes himself (and me) up screaming b/c his stomach hurts. He is much less energetic and very clingy the next day (im assuming its b/c he doesnt feel good) and as we all know 2 year olds are some of the most energetic creatures on the planet. I do not have celiac disease or a gluten sensitivity so i don know what it feels like to "get glutened" but several people have told me that it feels like having the flu and a hangover all at the same time.

brandonsmom Newbie

My son (7) will show symptoms anywhere from a couple hours, to a day. It really depends on the amount of gluten he has consumed. He was diagnosed almost 2 years ago...and a few months ago he decided to try a couple bites of a donut at a function he went to for school (we had provided him with an alternative, but I guess the donut was just too tempting!) A couple hours later after the function he became very pale, clingy, stomach pain, diarrhea, then began to vomit. He will also have a low grade fever (99.5-100.2) when he has been glutened. He was sick for weeks...not vomiting sick, but tired, cranky, pale, weird aches and pain, and stomach aches. I think it is kind of individual for each person.

jayhawkmom Enthusiast

My daughter gets "the big D" and horrible tummy troubles within a few hours, from what I've noticed thus far. I'm doing my BEST to keep her as gluten free as I humanly possibly can. I made a huge error in judgment a few weeks ago at a restaurant that I assumed would be safe, since it has a gluten-free menu. Only... the mistake was due to an error on MY part, not the restaurant. By the time we arrived home... it had started. That's how I found out about MY error. And, it cost my poor little girl dearly. =(

kimber Enthusiast

Thanks everyone

IF u check back in...how long does this behavior usually last

I'm thinking back and zach may have had something questionable late Saturday night...he started acting yuckey late yesterday but it really hit today

I know yesterday he didn't have anything new/different

Thanks, Kim

My daughter gets "the big D" and horrible tummy troubles within a few hours, from what I've noticed thus far. I'm doing my BEST to keep her as gluten free as I humanly possibly can. I made a huge error in judgment a few weeks ago at a restaurant that I assumed would be safe, since it has a gluten-free menu. Only... the mistake was due to an error on MY part, not the restaurant. By the time we arrived home... it had started. That's how I found out about MY error. And, it cost my poor little girl dearly. =(
vampella Contributor

My DD hasn't been "medically" Dx'ed she was Dx'ed with diet, it's been a month now.

We saw HUGE improvments right away after changing her to gluten-free.

She got I guess trace amounts of gluten or got something at the halloween party other than what I sent (the teacher said well I can't watch her 100% :(, then get more people or let me be there. which is what will happen from now on ) that night she was cranky, wouldn't eat and had the big D.

char

mom-to-claire Apprentice

my daughter doesn't have a dx yet either but I know she is gluten intolerant/sensitive for sure. She is only 10 months old so can't tell me how she feels but within about 2 hours she vomits and continues to vomit for about 1/2 - 1 hour and then becomes very lethargic and clingy. It only lasts a couple hours.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Tori's Dad Apprentice

That depends really....if he has been eating gluten all along he will likely have less drastic "reaction" to gluten but his overall health will be poor.

For example, my daughter was very sick in terms of lack of energy, failure to grow, etc. but she never threw up prior to diagnosis, she just felt lousey all the time. Since diagnosis and going gluten free for months she is doing fantastic in overall health but when she does accidentally get glutened she has a violent reaction and is throwing up within 20 minutes.

zachsmom Enthusiast
My son (7) will show symptoms anywhere from a couple hours, to a day. It really depends on the amount of gluten he has consumed. He was diagnosed almost 2 years ago...and a few months ago he decided to try a couple bites of a donut at a function he went to for school (we had provided him with an alternative, but I guess the donut was just too tempting!) A couple hours later after the function he became very pale, clingy, stomach pain, diarrhea, then began to vomit. He will also have a low grade fever (99.5-100.2) when he has been glutened. He was sick for weeks...not vomiting sick, but tired, cranky, pale, weird aches and pain, and stomach aches. I think it is kind of individual for each person.

See my son ran a low grade fever also when he ate gluten and he was just under a year old.... the doctors swore that running a fever was impossible... My heart told me that this was something at the time .. I just had no idea what. But I fought and fought with my doctor and finally left. BUt my baby turns pale and just looks weird .. then vomits.

my daughter doesn't have a dx yet either but I know she is gluten intolerant/sensitive for sure. She is only 10 months old so can't tell me how she feels but within about 2 hours she vomits and continues to vomit for about 1/2 - 1 hour and then becomes very lethargic and clingy. It only lasts a couple hours.

see I feel like crying .. this sounds like my son. he is a year old. the vomiting is exactly 2 to 2 1/2 hours lasts a couple of hours and then is okay but run down. By expirment .. feed her yo baby yougurt. 2 cups inthe morning.. this has actually helped to slow and make the severity less .. I feel so alone and so scared by this disease. I literally only have this web site for information . the doctors are not telling me anything .. Just stay away from Gluten... ????? I understand .. but feel so lost by this . I know what your going through.

My DD hasn't been "medically" Dx'ed she was Dx'ed with diet, it's been a month now.

We saw HUGE improvments right away after changing her to gluten-free.

She got I guess trace amounts of gluten or got something at the halloween party other than what I sent (the teacher said well I can't watch her 100% :(, then get more people or let me be there. which is what will happen from now on ) that night she was cranky, wouldn't eat and had the big D.

char

Okay about what the teacher said,.,, that really makes me mad because what if she had an analphlatic shock reaction... would she still say that. some one said in her someplace.. that celiac disease can also be considered a disability.... not being able to eat the lunch room foods. ... and needing choices... didnt you say you were going to talk to the teacher... I would be kinda mad. what if this was her. ?? Just a comment .

Archived