3 replies to this topic

#1 AmandaD

AmandaD

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 414 posts

Posted 07 November 2006 - 09:21 AM

Hi - I think I may be having a lactose intolerance issue (I was tested for dairy allergy and do not have one). The doc told me to try different dairy and see how I react...

Last night we had tacos and I had some cheese on my tacos...I tried to take a lactaid pill as well...I had some mostly normal bowel movement today but slightly loose at end.

It seems that I have a bit of a reaction the morning after I get the lactose in my system...is this common?

And I've noticed all of my bread recipes have dairy or milk powder in them...is there a recipe anywhere for dairy free/gluten-free bread that I could make?

Many thanks. a
Amanda
Positive TTG 9/05
Positive endoscopy 9/05
Doing well with "Sprue"

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Budew

Budew

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 07 November 2006 - 10:42 AM

I struggle with whether I am lactose intolerant. For me I can do small amounts of some dairy without a problem. The harder the cheese the better. The higher the fat content the better.

So I use real cream in my coffee, and stick to parm, cheddar, swiss and mozz. Rich ice cream seems to work but ice milk is not okay.

I found some great mixes from Namaste Foods that are gluten, wheat, potato, soy, corn, dairy and casein free.

I found sliced bread that is so good you don't even need to toast it. samisbakery.com It is made in a non gluten free bakery but is made with Millet flour, brown rice flour, water, AL free Baking powder, seasalt, and flax seed.
I tried millet flax bread. I made my mom eat it to see if she would react, I never do, she does with just a trace. She did not have a problem.

Hope this helps.
Good Luck!

#3 jayhawkmom

jayhawkmom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 727 posts

Posted 07 November 2006 - 11:53 AM

I am lactose intolerant, and it's one of the biggest problems (with regards to foods) that I have in my life. I love cheese. I love ice cream, and custard. I hate having lactose issues.

I buy our bread from a gluten free bakery, and they make our (special ordered) bread with rice milk. My husband tried to bake some for me at home, but it didn't go over very well. :huh:

I do my best to stay away from all lactose, but if I ever heard of anyone having real success with dairy-ease and the likes... I would be willing to try.
Jayhawkmom -
Mom of three....
Jay - 11
Bean - 8
Ian - 3

#4 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 07 November 2006 - 07:43 PM

Even if your allergy test was negative, you might be intolerant to casein. if lactaid isn't making a difference, that could be the problem.
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: