This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Gluten Free Stuffing

pinkpei77

pinkpei77 Contributor

are there any pre-made ones?

or does anyone know of a good recipe?

im completly at a loss on this one.

thanks!@

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

tarnalberry Community Regular

I make mine with rice (part short grain brown, part wild rice blend, part risotto) and everything else pretty much the same (onions, mushrooms, carrots, spices). You can also make it just like any other stuffing, from 'scratch', using gluten-free bread.

Green12 Enthusiast

thanks!@

I am not aware of any premade stuffings/dressings or mixes, maybe someone else will know on that?

As far as making it yourself I have read many accounts of members taking a regular stuffing/dressing recipes and modifying it by substituting gluten-free breads. I know Carla uses the EnerG bread and says it tastes great (hard to believe :lol: but she swears by it!).

I usually make corn bread dressing (I don't stuff the turkey just make it as a side dish dressing) and it is so very simple.

Any corn bread recipe will do, I just use a gluten-free flour. In my experience corn bread is really forgiving, I have used all different types of gluten-free flours and flour blends, and even have used soy milk and rice milk as a dairy substitute, and it still comes out great. You can even get a gluten-free corn bread mix.

I make it a day or so ahead and let it cool, cut it in to bite size cubes (it does crumble a bit but I try not to get too fussy about it) then I throw the cubes, and crumbs, on a cookie sheet and loosely cover it and let it set out to dry all day and over night.

The recipe I use serves 10 generously-

10 cups of cubed corn bread (I make a double batch of corn bred to get the 10 cups)

1 stick butter

3 medium onions diced

4 celery stalks diced

1 tsp dried thyme

1/2 tsp dried sage

2 cups chicken broth

salt and pepper to taste

If the bread is not dried you can warm in the oven for about 30 minutes at 325.

Melt butter in large skillet and cook the onions and celery until soft (10-15 minutes) then mix in the herbs, salt and pepper. In a large bowl toss the bread with the onion celery mixture and chicken broth to coat. Put the bread mixture into a large baking pan (I butter it) and cover with foil. Bake at 375 for about 20 minutes, or until warmed through. (I also take the foil off for about 5 minutes, or even put under the broiler for a few minutes at the end to brown it up a little.

This recipe can alse be used with regular gluten-free bread if you didn't want to make the corn bread as an extra step.

Hope this helps :)

lonewolf Collaborator

I make stuffing almost the same way as Juliem, but I use Ener-G bread, along with the corn bread, cubed and dried in the oven (250 degrees for about 20-30 minutes). I use a whole loaf of Ener-G Brown Rice Loaf and a whole recipe of cornbread. I use olive oil (about 1/3 C) instead of butter, but pretty much follow the same directions as juliem. I add raisins and chopped apples to mine and stuff it in the turkey.

Note: Ener-G Bread is yucky normally, but it really does work well in the stuffing. You have to make sure it's dried out thoroughly before making the stuffing.

bklynceliac Apprentice

i know that gillian's foods makes a Gluten-free Casein-free mix, and I believe Gluten-Free Bakehouse does as well. I'm trying Gillian's for the first time this year, so can't vouch for their quality. Both are available on internet only though...

pinkpei77 Contributor

thanks alot everyone!!

i think ill try making it !!

i love cooking and it doesnt look to hard!!

cant wait!!!

TinkerbellSwt Collaborator

Everybody Eats makes one premade too. My mother ordered it from a store that carries Everybody Eats products around here. I would really rather her make her usual stuffing for me just using gluten free bread.. but I think she is convinced this stuffing will be good. It may very well be.. I just want moms stuffing.. phooey!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Guest spruette

juliem's recipe sounds delish.

question: where can I find gluten free chicken broth? I know many contain wheat. So I want to make sure this Thanksgiving, if I use a recipe, that I am no more sick than everyone else from overeating rather than a gluten attack.

GREAT IDEAS!

In fact, I have been trying to figure out just how to do a stuffing this year. Last year, I omitted the stuffing completely.

Thanks for all these great threads to help out on Thanksgiving. :D

wonkabar Contributor

thanks!@

My girlfriend lives in NY state only a few minutes away from a place called the Gluten Free Bread Basket. You can find them on the web. She's "imported" chocolate chip cookies (awesome and big! :D ), snickerdoodles, unseasoned breadcrumbs (My meatloaf came out fine....I just added the same seasonings/cheese as the Progresso Italian BC) and country bread (as always, it must be toasted but is good...not nearly as nasty as many of the others!).

This week, she grabbed me gluten-free bread stuffing mix. I haven't tried it, but it sounds good. It's crunchy, brown rice bread cubes seasoned with butter, salt/pepper, parsley, rosemary and thyme. The recipe on the bag is a non-descript, traditional recipe. I do know there's a deadline for Thanksgiving orders if you were interested. Good Luck!!

jerseyangel Proficient

question: where can I find gluten free chicken broth? I know many contain wheat. So I want to make sure this Thanksgiving, if I use a recipe, that I am no more sick than everyone else from overeating rather than a gluten attack.

mamaw Community Regular

I know celiac specialities & El Petro carry gluten-free stuffing mix. Also Annalise Roberts has told me that Whole Foods gluten-free sandwich bread makes a fine bread for stuffing. I usually save all my bread ends,mock rye,challah & so on & freeze them until I get enough for use for stuffing.

mamaw

lpellegr Collaborator

Swanson chicken broth should be okay. Stay away from College Inn. You can also use Herb-Ox chicken boullion cubes.

new to LI Newbie

Gluten free pantry also makes a pre made gluten-free stuffing. (they also supply leagal seafood their crutons)

it is okay, i hve also had eveybody eats aslo ok.. just make your own it will be better.

Guest spruette

Wow, you all are the best!!

Can't wait to try out the gluten free chicken broth in my gluten free stuffing. What a great group you all are. You always have the best ideas.

Thanks so much! :D

TriticusToxicum Explorer

This is a great alternative stuffing, and delicious as well!

Quinoa Stuffing with Smoked Surry Sausage

Chef Ross Martin of Allred’s Restaurant at Telluride Ski Resort – Telluride, CO

Adapted by StarChefs

Yield: 4-6 Servings

Ingredients:

Quinoa:

2 Tablespoons minced onion

2 Tablespoons butter

1 ½ cups quinoa

About 4 cups roasted turkey stock, warmed

Stuffing:

2 cloves garlic

1 large onion, medium dice

2 carrots, medium dice

2 celery stalks, medium dice

2 cups smoked surry sausage, quartered

2 sticks butter

¼ cup dried cranberries

2 granny smith apples, medium dice

3 cups cooked quinoa (recipe follows)

4 cups dried bread, large dice

¼ cup fresh thyme, picked

Method:

For quinoa:

Melt butter in a pot over medium heat. Gently sweat onions until translucent. Add quinoa and toast slightly for about a minute. Add ½ cup seasoned turkey stock and simmer until quinoa absorbs the liquid. Keep adding turkey stock a little at a time until the quinoa grain opens. When it opens, a small tail-like pistol will pop out. It should be tender to the bite. Remove quinoa from pot and cool on sheet tray. Check seasonings and adjust if necessary. If the stock was well seasoned, the quinoa should not need any further seasoning.

For stuffing:

Preheat oven to 375°F. Melt 3 Tablespoons butter in large pot over medium heat. Sweat garlic, onions, carrots, celery and sausage until tender. Season with a pinch of salt. Add remaining butter and melt. Add cranberries, apples, cooked quinoa, bread cubes, and thyme; toss to bind. Add turkey stock to moisten to liking. Transfer to baking dish and bake, uncovered for 45 minutes.

coronalime Rookie

gluten free.com sells pre-made stuffing.

ebrbetty Rising Star

I'm making my italian sausage stffing I've made for ten years, just switching to gluten-free bread and gluten-free italian garlic and cheese sausage from whole foods,, hopefully it will taste almost the same

kb8ogn Rookie
I'm making my italian sausage stffing I've made for ten years, just switching to gluten-free bread and gluten-free italian garlic and cheese sausage from whole foods,, hopefully it will taste almost the same

You have to share your recipe with us, it sounds delicious.

Let us know how it tastes too! :)

• 11 months later...
KristenM Newbie

Hi everyone,

I'm new here. I just went gluten-free a few weeks ago at the suggestion of my naturopath until I get tested in a few weeks and I'm beyond overwhelmed.

I've been perusing looking for a stuffing recipe for my first gluten-free Thanksgiving.

I'm looking for something that is as close to StoveTop as you can get. As gross as it is to many, I have always had a StoveTop addiction, never really enjoying homemade stuffings, and the thought of a Thanksgiving without it makes me want to cry. Ok perhaps not that bad but I would love to find something similar. :)

Does anyone know of a recipe that sort of tastes like StoveTop?

Thanks!

Kristen

Emily Elizabeth Enthusiast

Sadly enough, Stovetop has always been my favorite as well! I have never really liked other peoples homemade stuffing either. I'm going to try Juliem's recipe with regular bread from Bette Hageman's book Gluten-free Gourmet and just pray for the best! I looked at the ingredients on a box of stovetop and sadly there are a lot of unpronounceable things. :) Nothing really to go from as far as copying it. I would love to find a copy though too! That will have to be our mission. If I ever come close to duplicating, I will definitely post it!

Hi everyone,

I'm new here. I just went gluten-free a few weeks ago at the suggestion of my naturopath until I get tested in a few weeks and I'm beyond overwhelmed.

I've been perusing looking for a stuffing recipe for my first gluten-free Thanksgiving.

I'm looking for something that is as close to StoveTop as you can get. As gross as it is to many, I have always had a StoveTop addiction, never really enjoying homemade stuffings, and the thought of a Thanksgiving without it makes me want to cry. Ok perhaps not that bad but I would love to find something similar. :)

Thanks!

Kristen

Green12 Enthusiast
Hi everyone,

Thanks!

Kristen

I had a thought and did a quick search for "Stovetop Stuffing Copycat Recipes", copycat recipes are recipes that people have created in attempts to taste like the real thing (something from a restaurant, or a brand name product, and etc.).

This is one that came up:

Open Original Shared Link

And another (I don't personally know of a gluten-free bouillon, so that needs to be verified):

Just make sure your ingredients are all gluten-free, the spices, broth, and of course bread.

With gluten-free bread the result won't be exactly the same, but it might be close enough in flavor.

KristenM Newbie
I had a thought and did a quick search for "Stovetop Stuffing Copycat Recipes", copycat recipes are recipes that people have created in attempts to taste like the real thing (something from a restaurant, or a brand name product, and etc.).

And another (I don't personally know of a gluten-free bouillon, so that needs to be verified):

Just make sure your ingredients are all gluten-free, the spices, broth, and of course bread.

With gluten-free bread the result won't be exactly the same, but it might be close enough in flavor.

Thanks so much!! I'll give the first one a try. I never thought of that search phrase and have been scouring the internet with no luck.

Oh and this may be a dumb question, I never thought about spices having gluten in them. Do they typically? Or do they sell ones that specifically say gluten-free?

happygirl Collaborator

If a spice is just one spice, say, thyme or basil, etc., then nothing else is allowed to be in it. So yes, it would be gluten free.

For spices that are comprised of a few things, the ingredients are required to be listed.

McCormick's is a company that will list all gluten and not hide it.

Emily Elizabeth Enthusiast

Thanks for posting! Now I don't know which stuffing recipe to use (yours or this one)! Is yours similar to stovetop's flavor when made with regular bread instead of corn bread? :)

For the bouillon, I use Herb Ox. It says gluten free right on the container. Yay!

Green12 Enthusiast
Thanks for posting! Now I don't know which stuffing recipe to use (yours or this one)! Is yours similar to stovetop's flavor when made with regular bread instead of corn bread? :)

For the bouillon, I use Herb Ox. It says gluten free right on the container. Yay!

Thanks for the tip on the bouillon!

I don't have any idea what Stovetop stuffing tastes like, I've never had it, so I can't help you there. If you want Stovetop then maybe you should go with the copycat recipe.

Archived