This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Amstel Light

WayneB

WayneB Rookie

:ph34r:

Has anyone tried Amstel Light ? Any problems?

I have noticed that Heineken USA has taken their "gluten-free" claim in the FAQ section off their website.

Wayne

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Kim Explorer

Amstel Light is not gluten free, neither is Heineken.

celiacfreeman Contributor

I had some brain fog from it, that's about all. It still has 15 chains of barley left in it, but no wheat. It's probably okay in moderation. I drink it on specail occasions, since beer is my favorite bev of all time.

anyone find a distributor for Bard pale ail. Tehy won't ship direct.

Guest gillian502

I thought all beer was permenantly off limits to us. There's beer out there (mainstream beer, I mean) that is gluten-free?

lovegrov Collaborator

There's mainstream beer out there that CLAIMS to be gluten-free. It might indeed be very low gluten but I personally don't believe it's gluten-free. And if somebody's getting gluten-induced brain fog (as opposed to too-much-alcohol-induced brain fog, then the gluten is obviously doing some damage.

richard

• 2 months later...
stef-the-kicking-cuty Enthusiast

I tried Amstel light yesterday evening and this morning i'm so bad. It's definitely not gluten-free :angry: And i didn't even drink the entire bottle. I left a rest in it. I already posted it somewhere else twice in here. I've had diarrhea really bad and i think i'm throwing up every moment and i have real bad stomach ache. So after i posted it everywhere to warn you real quick i will spent the rest of the day in bed.

Don't drink it, it's not worth it :(

Stef

lilliexx Contributor

are your gluten symptoms always that bad?? it actually sounds to me like you may have the stomach flue. I have never in my life had symptoms like that from gluten. i know everyone is different, but that sounds a little extreme for a gluten reaction.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Harpo Newbie

You people that complain of diarrea, believe me i feel for you. i have messed up clothes and bedding many times. It teas me off when the Dr. ignores it. i found the fix. I got my info from my Diabetic Magazine. Drink a cup of hot Peppermint tea

a day. you will be pleasantly surprise. Now i drink iot only every other day, i know it sounds crazy but it works. Harpo :) AlsoAmstillight beer is good i drink it all the timeand is gluten-free.

celiacfreeman Contributor

I still drink the amstel , but supplement with the following ciders:

Cider Jack and Woodchuck, that way when you hand everyone a beer, you have somehting in a bottle as well.

Dark and dry by Woodchuck and Cider Jack is the best!!

• 2 weeks later...
stef-the-kicking-cuty Enthusiast

I don't think it was the stomache flue. Not when that what comes out smells exactly like the beer you drank before.

christtheking Contributor

When did BEER which is brewed from wheat become gluten-free?!?! Am I missing something here? Furthermore many of the Ciders contain Gluten too. I used to drink K cider because it is so good, but I hate twist off caps. Any one know of a truely gluten-free Cider?

Cheers...

gfmelissa Apprentice

I have some gluten-free honey beer from Ramapo valley brewery in new york. Its pretty good. Much better than getting sick off cheap beer. They have a website too.

melissa

tom Contributor

christtheking - It's not just beer from wheat. Budweiser doesn't use wheat, they're rice. BUT they all still use barley. Same for all the japanese rice beers. It's the barley.

I'm hoping to try one (ok both) of the truly gluten-free beers that came out this yr. I think they may technically be mead since there is no barley. But i've heard only good things about the beery flavor and look fwd to either being distributed on the west coast.

My local Whole Foods looked into Bard's Tale and said there was not yet a distributor.

christtheking Contributor

Tom,

You seem to know alot about beer. Can you tell me if beer can be brewed without brewers yeast? York labs came up positive on this yeast for me. :(

Now there really is a tear in my beer. .. parting is such sweet sorrow!

O well at least there is French wine. :)

pturse Apprentice

I spoke with a rep from Amstel Light and they say it is gluten free. If you email them, they will explain the process to you. It is allowed and used by Celiacs in Europe. I drink it on occassion w/o any problems and I am fairly sensitive. The Ramapo Beer tastes awful. And sometimes I am so tired of wine.

kvogt Rookie

Regarding yeast... yeast is in the production of any alcoholic product. Only distilled spirits are without yeast as the yeast does not survive the distillation process. All beer, wine, cider, perry and mead contain some amount of yeast. Filtering does not remove all of it and only large commercially brewed beers are generally filtered (e.g. Bud).

astyanax Rookie

the only cider i know of that is not gluten-free is hornsby's, what ciders aren't gluten-free, christheking?

Archived