Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Could Gluten Be Causing Behavior Problems ?

• Please log in to reply

18 replies to this topic

#1 Susan Kelby

Susan Kelby

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 09 November 2006 - 12:46 PM

Hi there. I've been recently diagnosed with Gluten Sensitivity (and casein and soy and yeast and eggs) and it has got me thinking about how alot of problems in my past were caused or aggravated by my diet. Now I'm starting to wonder if gluten could be causing some problems in my daughter - I'm carrying two copies of the gluten sensitivity gene, so she's got at least one copy from me.

My daughter is an extremely bright nine-year-old, and we homeschool. Her work is becoming increasingly sloppy and careless. When we have discussions on literature, she cannot seem to concentrate and can't answer the most simple questions over what we have read. She also gets very angry whenever I insist that she redo her work correctly. I'm inclined to say, "fine - if you won't work for me, you can go back to public school", but I don't think that would really be best for her. But I'm tired of the constant battles.

She has no tummy problems, but does have chronic runny-nose allergies controlled fairly well by Claritin. I would really appreciate hearing from anyone who may have had the same problems with a child.

Susan

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Nic

Nic

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 692 posts

Posted 09 November 2006 - 01:26 PM

My son did have GI issues but his behavior is surely affected by gluten. I can tell right away went he has ingested gluten. He just turned six and when he is glutened he is bouncing off the walls. He becomes extremely hyper active and cannot get anything done. There are plenty of people on here that will tell you that children did not have the classic GI symptoms. With you being a carrier you might want to either get her tested or try a gluten-free diet for a while and see if there is a change.

Nicole

#3 Nantzie

Nantzie

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,667 posts

Posted 09 November 2006 - 01:29 PM

My kids are much younger than your daughter, but really my 2yo son's only symptom before we had him tested (because of me and my 4yo having gluten sensitivity) was his introverted personality. Being shy myself, I didn't think much of it. But after he had positive tests and we put him gluten-free, his personality completely changed. He's now a goofy, rambunctious, average 2yo boy. Even the teachers at the drop-in daycare were amazed at the change. They say he's like a completely different child.

My daughter had the tummy aches and was hyper, and freaked out and cried over every little thing. She's has calmed down considerably and doesn't get upset unless it's something that you'd expect a child to get upset over.

For myself, I started having problems in school around 2nd grade. I couldn't remember anything, couldn't concentrate. It just got worse and worse because what you learn in 3rd grade is built upon what you're supposed to remember from 2nd grade. It doesn't take long for that to effect your self esteem. I really just believed I was stupid. My parents and teachers thought I was just being difficult or lazy or didn't care for some reason. They said I had a high IQ based on some tests that I don't remember doing. I thought they must have mixed up my tests with someone elses. When I graduated from high school I just thanked my lucky stars I got through it, and didn't even bother with applying to even a single college. I figured if regular school was so hard for me, there was no way I was going to embarass myself by attempting anything more.

No tummy problems whatsoever as a child, up until I was 17. I had mono and had a messed up stomach ever since then. I also developed anger issues as an adult, which went away after going gluten-free.

I would really encourage you to put her gluten-free for a few months (my son improved slowly over a couple months) just to see if it helps.

Hope she starts doing better soon.

Nancy
The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it.
~Chinese Proverb

#4 lonewolf

lonewolf

Gluten Free pancakes over the fire!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,877 posts

Posted 09 November 2006 - 01:32 PM

My 11 year old son had similar issues last year. His teacher asked if I would consider having him tested for ADD. He is bright, but couldn't focus, was getting disruptive and his grades were slipping quite a bit.

I had seen the same thing at home, and since I am gluten intolerant, decided to try the diet with him as well. His pediatrician agreed that it would be a good idea to try before ADD testing. Within days his teacher noticed a difference. After a few weeks she said that she couldn't believe the change and said that he was "a completely different child". We've experimented with trying to add gluten back, but his behavior changes. Even his older sisters can tell when he's cheated.

An interesting note though - he did not test positive on the celiac panel from the pediatrician or the stool test from Enterolab. The diet test was the only positive one. (He does have 2 copies of DQ1 though.) Not scientific, but still convincing to me.
Liz

Started Specific Carbohydrate Diet on 8-16-09 because son was diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis and want to give him moral support.

Diagnosed with Minimal Change Nephrotic Syndrome in 2003. Discovered that going completely gluten-free put me in remission.

I would have despaired unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living. Psalms 27:13

#5 kimber

kimber

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 10 November 2006 - 09:50 AM

Hi

My advice would be to TRY the gluten-free diet.....
My ds is 3yr old and is a completely different child when he has gluten
He is hyper, doesn't listen/focus...is plain old FRESH...if u know what I mean :)

good Luck

My 11 year old son had similar issues last year. His teacher asked if I would consider having him tested for ADD. He is bright, but couldn't focus, was getting disruptive and his grades were slipping quite a bit.

I had seen the same thing at home, and since I am gluten intolerant, decided to try the diet with him as well. His pediatrician agreed that it would be a good idea to try before ADD testing. Within days his teacher noticed a difference. After a few weeks she said that she couldn't believe the change and said that he was "a completely different child". We've experimented with trying to add gluten back, but his behavior changes. Even his older sisters can tell when he's cheated.

An interesting note though - he did not test positive on the celiac panel from the pediatrician or the stool test from Enterolab. The diet test was the only positive one. (He does have 2 copies of DQ1 though.) Not scientific, but still convincing to me.

#6 celiacgirls

celiacgirls

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts

Posted 10 November 2006 - 10:25 AM

I agree that you should try the diet with her. My 10 and 8 year old girls both have behaviour issues when they have gluten/casein and one of them soy. My 10 year old used to be defiant, angry, moody, irritable, etc and now is very easy-going and pleasant to be around unless she has some gluten or casein. My 8 year old shows signs of ADHD when she has eaten something she shouldn't. My younger one had tummy issues which is what led to us doing the gluten-free diet but my other daughter and I did not.
Karen

gluten free 4/06
casein free 7/06
DQ1, DQ8

Daughter (11) gluten free 5/06, casein free 6/06

Daughter (9) gluten free 3/06, casein free 7/06, soy free, trying peanut free
vegetarian
gluten lite on and off since 1999

All dx'ed by Enterolab

#7 wolfie

wolfie

Kim

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 752 posts

Posted 10 November 2006 - 11:04 AM

My son was diagnosed with Celiac in July 2006 and we have noticed a huge improvement in behavior & school work since he went gluten-free. That, aside from some vague stomach issues, was really the only symptoms.
Kim

"Life isn't about how to survive the storm
but how to dance in the rain."

Positive bloodwork 1/9/06
gluten-free since 1/12/06
Very positive dietary response

DS (12 years old)
Biopsy 7/7/06 ~ Diagnosed Celiac 7/12/2006
gluten-free since 7/15/2006

DD (almost 6)
HLA-DQ2 positive
Celiac Bloodwork negative 2 different times
Still eating gluten for now.

#8 Susan Kelby

Susan Kelby

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 10 November 2006 - 11:12 AM

We started the diet today - I'm putting her on the same diet I follow: no gluten, casein, soy, yeast or eggs. So now we're in the same boat. Tomorrow she has to sit through a pizza party, poor kid. The bright spot is we'll be sitting at the "weird food table" with other kids who are avoiding gluten and casein also.

Now, what about sugar ? My daughter has been saying "I'm hungry" all day, and I've been feeding her Peanut Butter Panda Puffs. Do y'all avoid sugar too ?

Susan

#9 lonewolf

lonewolf

Gluten Free pancakes over the fire!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,877 posts

Posted 10 November 2006 - 11:34 AM

Now, what about sugar ? My daughter has been saying "I'm hungry" all day, and I've been feeding her Peanut Butter Panda Puffs. Do y'all avoid sugar too ?

When I first started with my son, I gave him more sugar than usual. I think it made him feel less deprived. We've gotten back to a good balance now, which includes a little more sugar than I would like, but WAAAAAY less than the average kid. Instead of Panda Puffs, have you tried popcorn? Still something to snack on, but cheaper (if you pop it yourself) and lower in sugar. The other things all my kids like to snack on are baby carrots, apple slices, bananas, raisins, sometimes cut-up yam slices, rice cakes with peanut butter and celery with peanut butter. (BTW- my kids do snack on Gorilla Munch and Panda Puffs sometimes too. They're pretty yummy.)
Liz

Started Specific Carbohydrate Diet on 8-16-09 because son was diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis and want to give him moral support.

Diagnosed with Minimal Change Nephrotic Syndrome in 2003. Discovered that going completely gluten-free put me in remission.

I would have despaired unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living. Psalms 27:13

#10 celiacgirls

celiacgirls

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts

Posted 10 November 2006 - 12:12 PM

We do not avoid sugar. I figure with all that they have to give up, I am not going to add to it. I even provide more sweet things than I did before, because before, they were getting it every where else and I didn't feel the need to. Now, I think it is important that if the kids at school have cake, my daughters either have cupcakes in the freezer at school that they can have, or they can have an equivalent treat at home.

I really focus on what they can have so, especially in the beginning, if we were out and they saw some candy that met our requirements (gluten-free/CF), I would buy it. They didn't always get to eat it right away but at least I wasn't saying to them again that it had gluten/casein in it.
Karen

gluten free 4/06
casein free 7/06
DQ1, DQ8

vegetarian

All dx'ed by Enterolab

#11 Susan Kelby

Susan Kelby

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 13 November 2006 - 11:24 AM

Well, I started my daughter on a restricted diet Friday, and today WE HAD A GOOD DAY !!!!!! The first in WEEKS !!!!!! Oh, please let this not be a fluke !!! She is missing her Cheez-its, but agrees that having fun instead of fighting is definitely an improvement. I think I will still have her tested through Enterolab, in case she doesn't have all the same sensitivities that I have.

Susan

#12 celiacgirls

celiacgirls

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts

Posted 13 November 2006 - 11:48 AM

I'm so happy for you and your daughter. :)
Karen

gluten free 4/06
casein free 7/06
DQ1, DQ8

vegetarian

All dx'ed by Enterolab

#13 anerissara

anerissara

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 13 November 2006 - 12:43 PM

We have a 9 yr old boy and homeschool, too! And we have similar issues...not being able to concentrate, not being able to sit still, etc. It is remarkably worse if he has been glutened! Also, he has angry outbursts if he's been glutened or if he has anything with red food dye.

I'm so glad you're seeing positive change already!
"I will say of the Lord, 'He is my refuge and my fortress, my God, in whom I trust.'" -Psalm 91

gluten-free since January 26th, 2005
Feeling up and down, but better!

Mommy of a gluten-free 8 yr old, a 6 yr old who (much to her dismay) will be gluten-free soon and a 2 yr old who is so far symptom-free. Contemplating putting the whole family on the gluten-free diet since crumbs have become my nemisis!

#14 happy4dolphins

happy4dolphins

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 17 November 2006 - 01:09 PM

HI, I decrease my dd's gluten right after school got out last year and then she went 100% gluten-free right before school and wow, I did see a nice change. Very little emotional outbursts anymore and she much nicer over all. I can tell when she's been glutened though, she's angry and seems like she gets overstimumlated and yells a lot. Then I say, ok, what'd she eat today and what was on the label.
Usually, she's shared some lunch with a friend at school. Once I asked her about it and she said, I had a wheat cracker (those in the yellow box). Well, at least she told the truth, but look out for us for a day or two.
Nicole in Michigan
p.s. dd is 7
Dolphin Joy,
Nicole

gluten intolerant/ 2005
dd gluten intolerant/ 2006

#15 AmyTopolski

AmyTopolski

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 17 November 2006 - 03:10 PM

Hi,
My daughter who is now turning 3 was diagnosted in August. She did have tummy troubles. When she does get gluten in her system she is very foggy, can't concentrate (count, alphabet, or answer questions) she is also a very angry little girl with horrible tamtrums for about 3 weeks after. My younger daughter (17 months) had severe allergies. She was on 2 allergy medicines twice a day and on Zantac for severe acid reflux. Since going gluten free she is on no medicines and has no symptoms. She did not show any tummy signs though. Hope this helps you some.
Amy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: