This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Best Kind Of Bread?

Amanda L

Amanda L Rookie

I went to Fred Meyer tonight and picked up some wheat free/gluten free foods. There were a couple of different kinds of bread though, and I was wondering which one tastes best. In the freezer section, there was something called Ezekial (sorry, can't spell that) bread, and in the non freezer section, they had some rice flour bread. Which one should I get?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

sparkles Contributor

Check the Ezekial (spelling) as I don't think that it is gluten-free. I know that I have seen it and it appears to be gluten-free but on closer examination, I think I found it too risky to try. My husband got me a bread maker for my birthday and it makes good bread that you can actually make sandwiches with and not have to toast the stuff to make it sort of edible. gluten-free Pantry has a good mix.... and there are lots of recipes available for gluten-free bread. Bread was one of those things that I really missed and the store bought gluten-free stuff was sort of an insult to my taste buds BUT I tolerated it just so I could have a toasted cheese sandwich or egg salad sandwich once in a while. Now I bake my own. The texture isn't the greatest (lots of air bubbles) but the taste is good and like I said it doesn't have to be toasted to taste ok. My experience at Health Food stores is that it is really easy to get sucked into the "but it is organic" line. True the food is organic BUT remember WHEAT is organic. Just because it is organic doesn't make it safe for a celiac. The bins of food scare me to death. I can just see all that gluten jumping from one bin to the other. I buy prepackaged gluten-free foods ONLY! or make everything from scratch. The prepackaged gluten-free food is cheaper in the regular grocery store and more and more of the large chains are carrying gluten-free foods.... plus labeling has gotten so much better. One other thing, check the label for the fat content. gluten-free bread has a really high fat content and I usually opted for the pre-made gluten-free bread with the lowest fat content.... if I remember right, it was Ener-G Brown Rice bread. Ener-G also has pretzels that taste like pretzels thought there again the fat content is high.

Amanda L Rookie

I think the non frozen bread was Ener G. I got some Ener G crackers and they are actually really good.

I'll have to look into making bread I guess. What do you use for flour? I got some rice or potato flour, can't remember which, will that work?

new to LI Newbie

try kinnikinik (spelling ???) it is the best bread i have tried... ener-g was gross food for life almost as bad, glutino corn bread is pretty good deland was the best before the new labes warn of Gluten :angry: to scared to try since.

mart Contributor

We like the Gluten Free Pantry's Favorite Sandwich Bread. Don't bother making it in the bread machine. Make it right in the oven. It slices well, freezes well and tastes pretty great.

Generic Apprentice

You live in Vancouver, so you are very lucky! Lingonberries market is located just off I-205. The store is like 97% gluten free. They have a ton of different options for gluten free bread/mixes.

website is www.lingonberriesmarket.com Sorry I don't know how to hyper link, (just copy and paste).

Their address is 6300 NE 117th Ave. Suite B-5 Vancouver 98662

hannahsue01 Enthusiast

We tried a bread by energy and were disapointed. It had a gritty texture and was really dry. We found kininakanick bread in the freezer but didn't know wich to buy there were like 10 or so. Made with different flours. Does anyone have a specific one by them that they like? Also, is all athe bread have this texture dry issue?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Guest nini

EnerG has a new Tapioca loaf that is actually not bad... I was really surprised because I hated the EnerG rice breads, I thought they were NASTY so I was really reluctant to try the new tapioca bread. But it's actually light and really good toasted. (I still wouldn't eat it right out of the package) My daughter loves Kinnikinick's Italian White Tapioca Rice Bread, and my favorite bread is the Pamela's Amazing Wheat Free Bread mix... I make it in my bread machine and it's great, reminds me of those great artisan breads you get at steak houses with your meal...

lightningfoot speakin words Contributor

I only like one kind of bread, and its fast and fresh bread. you stir and put in the microwave. I love it!

Carriefaith Enthusiast

I like Sterk's and Kinnikinnick.

Amanda L Rookie
You live in Vancouver, so you are very lucky! Lingonberries market is located just off I-205. The store is like 97% gluten free. They have a ton of different options for gluten free bread/mixes.

website is www.lingonberriesmarket.com Sorry I don't know how to hyper link, (just copy and paste).

Their address is 6300 NE 117th Ave. Suite B-5 Vancouver 98662

I actually live VERY close to that store! I keep seeing it when I go somewhere, but I have yet to stop in there. I may do that today.

jaten Enthusiast

The only bread I really like is Pamela's Amazing Wheat Free Bread Mix. We bought a bread machine last year when I was first diagnosed, and I make all of our bread. We tried buying a few pre-made loaves at first...blegh! Some other bread mixes are ok, but Pamela's really is "Amazing"! DH does not have to be gluten-free, but he wants a gluten-free kitchen for me, so he's gluten-free at home. He LOVES Pamela's bread, too!

Pamela's Amazing Wheat Free bread mix doubles as the best gluten-free pizza crust mix, too. So there ya are :D

Ksmith Contributor

Hey Amanda,

I don't know if you have a new seasons by you, but my very favorite bread is Food for Life Chine Black Rice bread. That brand has other rice breads, but this one is THE BEST! I like it better than Kinnickinnick, myself.

dragonmom Apprentice

In the freezer section there is a bread called Ryeless Rye- has caraway seeds in it and toasted it tastes really good.

burdee Enthusiast

Everybody's bread preferences are different. Also other allergies may determine what kinds of gluten free breads you can eat. Ener-G has MANY varieties of bread. So look through their descriptions online or request their catalog. I detest most plain rice flour or even tapioca flour types of breads. I prefer heavy dense, darker, high fiber breads. So I LOVE Seattle Brown, Harvest Loaf and Brown Rice with Sweet Potato (English muffins) from Ener-G. My husband and I both like Corn Loaf which tastes like sourdough and is also light and white. However, like most gluten-free breads it can get dry fast. Ener-G recommends that you heat in the microwave or toast all their breads before eating. That softens the breads and makes them more like 'normal' breads. I also liked Kinnikinnick Brown Sandwich bread, but can't eat that anymore because I have a cane sugar allergy. All of Ener-G's breads as well as FoodforLife breads are made with fruit juice concentrates, rather than cane sugar.

Above all keep looking if you don't like the first gluten-free bread you try. There are soooo many varieties and brands to suit people's individual preferences, just like regular wheat containing breads. I have never made my own gluten-free breads, because I found enough tasty varieties of bread from Ener-G and FoodforLife breads. Good Luck!

BURDEE

sparkles Contributor
I only like one kind of bread, and its fast and fresh bread. you stir and put in the microwave. I love it!

And what kind of bread is that????????

new to LI Newbie

Fast and Fresh makes a whole line of microwavable products, besides the bread the waffles and brownies are aslo good

tammy Community Regular

Both my husband and I love the kinnikinnick white sandwich bread! I will also eat the Food for Life Rice and Almond Bread too but that is a bit sweet.

BostonCeliac Apprentice

I enjoy the Food for Life bread - just the plain brown rice bread - I buy it from Trader Joes & it is not refrigerated or frozen, which apparently makes a difference (my sister said it looses something when it is frozen, but she's picky). I toast the bread though, don't like it plain.

I hated the Ener-G bread personally - the Tapioca Loaf to be exact, i thought it tasted like 3-day old alcohol left out to rot - YUCK! made me gag.

BUT - I wanted to share with everyone - I just made homemade bread with a brand called "Cause You're Special" - and it was great! YUM. I have yet to try other brands, but i'm on the lookout...

Sadly, the place near me that sold Kinnickinnick products just closed :( so I'll have to find a new spot!

breann6 Contributor

my vote is for pamela's amazing bread mix- (bread machine). that stuff is AWESOME- beats store bought regular gluten bread, and for sure that yucky gluten-free shelf bread. its super easy to make and takes less effort than driving to the store to buy bread :P i agree that it taste like that yummy bread your served at a restaraunt whilst wating on your food. its delicious!

-breann

Archived