37 replies to this topic

#1 CeliacStinksKLS

CeliacStinksKLS

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 10 November 2006 - 05:24 PM

Which popular turkey's are gluten free? i.e. Butterball, Perdue, etc. Does anyone know off hand?

Thanks in advance....

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Lisa

Lisa

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,799 posts

Posted 10 November 2006 - 06:37 PM

This is a good project:

Try.......

www.butterball.com

www.purdue.com

I bet you will get an answer within 24 hours.

This is something that I have never done. I will do this tomorrow, but if someone beats me to it, please post. :)
Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

#3 Generic

Generic

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 617 posts

Posted 10 November 2006 - 11:46 PM

I know Butter Ball wasn't several years ago, they injected some gluteney juice stuff into them. Not sure any more. I usually just get a "natural" trukey to stay on the safe side.

#4 olalisa

olalisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 11 November 2006 - 09:07 PM

I emailed Butterball last week and this was their response. I copied and pasted. ENJOY!! :D

Dear Lisa,

Thank you for contacting the Butterball Turkey Talk Line by email.

When there are dietary concerns, we advise purchasing Butterball Fresh Turkey and Butterball Fresh Breast of Turkey, which are all-natural and contain no added ingredients. The breast meat of Butterball Frozen Turkeys, including Butterball Frozen Stuffed Turkey, is deep basted with a patented recipe of ingredients to yield a more uniformly juicy and tender turkey after cooking. Individual ingredients (water, salt, sodium phosphate to retain natural juices, modified food starch [corn or potato source], dextrose and natural flavors -- no allergenic ingredients) are specified on the labels of all Butterball Frozen Turkeys and Butterball frozen line extension products. (Although wheat and rye gluten-free, the recipe does include 0.5 ppm corn protein.)

Because Butterball Frozen Stuffed Turkey (and Butterball Stuffed Frozen Breast of Turkey) is stuffed with a traditional bread stuffing, it does contain gluten. The gravy packets that come with some Butterball Turkey products also contain gluten.

If you have further questions regarding gluten in a Butterball product, please call Consumer Affairs (1-800-325-7424). When calling, please have available the UPC number of the product in question.

Don't hesitate to contact us again for additional information or advice. Enjoy the best of all from Butterball!
dx by blood test and biopsy April 2006.
gluten free since, and avoiding dairy.

#5 jukie

jukie

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 11 November 2006 - 09:57 PM

Here's the reply I got from Honeysuckle...I specifically asked about gluten, casein and soy:

Thank you for contacting Honeysuckle White.

Our fresh and frozen whole turkeys are injected with a basting solution
that contains turkey broth (turkey juice and water), salt, sodium
phosphate, sugar and a natural flavoring that is an allergen free, non-dairy
butter flavoring.

The product is MSG, gluten, soy and dairy/casien free.

I hope this helps.

#6 MistressIsis

MistressIsis

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 11 November 2006 - 11:14 PM

YAY! I was just wondering about this today in the store!
Misdiagnosed with Duardinitis & Endometriosis
Diagnosed after 6 yrs & 4 Doc and every test known to man
Diagnosed October 2004

Anemic as a teen
Small Stature
Dental Issues
Constant Headaches
Joint Pain
Mood Swings
Lethargy

All those disappeared after eliminating Gluten

#7 lovegrov

lovegrov

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,537 posts

Posted 12 November 2006 - 08:44 AM

To find gluten-free turkey all you have to do is read the ingredients. USDA law REQUIRES that anything that adds nutrition -- which includes all grains -- be clearly listed. This is true for any plain raw meat.

I've never found a turkey that has gluten unless it was stuffed.

richard

#8 GFBetsy

GFBetsy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 452 posts

Posted 12 November 2006 - 10:07 PM

Yesterday in the store a Norbest turkey wrapper said "Gluten Free" on it, right there in plain sight! Good for them!

I believe Jenny-o's are also gluten free, but double check on their website . . . they were gluten-free the last time I checked, but it's been a while.

#9 hez

hez

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 919 posts

Posted 13 November 2006 - 03:07 PM

My Honeysuckle turkey said free of gluten on the front! I decided to go with that one because it was cheaper than Butterball and they actually labeled their product.

Hez

#10 CeliacStinksKLS

CeliacStinksKLS

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 13 November 2006 - 07:23 PM

Thank you all! :) Another addition is Shadybrook Farms has it on the front of their label too, No artificial, no MSG, Gluten Free.

KLS

#11 GFBetsy

GFBetsy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 452 posts

Posted 14 November 2006 - 08:36 AM

My mother in law told me yesterday that the safeway brand of turkey (can't remember the name) also says "gluten free" on the package . . . we're going there for Thanksgiving, so we're working together to make sure my daughter can eat, too!

#12 kb8ogn

kb8ogn

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 14 November 2006 - 09:59 AM

This is the response I received from Perdue.

Thank you for your interest in learning more about PERDUE® turkeys. Ourfresh, all natural turkeys are gluten free. We are continually introducing new products to the marketplace, andtherefore routinely update our list of gluten free items. We areforwarding you a copy of our current list by mail. This list is alsoavailable on our web site and can also be accessed at [url=http://www.perdue.com/products/gluten_free_products.html/url]
.Please feel free to contact a consumer representative toll free at1-800-4PERDUE® (1-800-473-7383) Monday through Friday 9:30 AM to 6:00 PMET, or email us at www.perdue.com®. Again, thank you for your interest in PERDUE® products. Mary Beth JamesConsumer Relations 000548816A

My hubby was even impressed....

Shelli

#13 doggirl

doggirl

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 November 2007 - 04:46 PM

Gluten free or not I am leary of buying injected turkeys. The so-called natural injected turkeys are injected with sodium phosphate and broth. I have searched the web looking for something to indict this chemical. I found a Mother Earht Newa article June/July 2007
"Shocking News About Meat'' By Laura Sayre --- find it (for now) at:
http://www.motherear...About-Meat.aspx

Anyway, organic meat is not allowed to have sodium phosphate injected in it. Elsewhere I found that sodium phosphate is used in homeophathy. If you know the theory behind homeophathy then you too would be a little leary of sodium phosphate. The homeophathic theory goes something like this: whatever substance causes a certain disease or pathology you take it in minute amounts to conteract that very pathology. It sor tof works that way with medicinal herbs as well-- the healing amounts are usually merely greater. If you overdose on an herb you are taking to fix a certain condition or pathology, it will make that condition worse.

Here is a list of homeopathic pathologies I found associated with sodicum phosphate:
Acidity
Colic
Indigestion
Diarrhea
Fatigue
Headaches
Muscleaches
Cramps
Heartburn
Joint pain
Back pain
Fatigue

I think there is too much sodium phosphate in injected turkeys to be healthy especially for someone with celiac disease. But in the end I have to conclude that injected turkeys just taste yucky and wrong to me, and that should be a good enough reason not to buy an injected turkey health reasons or not.

Last year Foster Farms turkeys were still injection free. More and more turkeys are turning up injected and I fear the worst. I haven't found a injection free turkey yet, but I haven't checked out this year's batch of Foster Farms. I am heartened by the fact that at one point the big chain grocery stores started injecting all the fresh pork and consumers rebelled. Now fresh pork is once again readily available with out being injected with weird salts.

Good luck Happy Thanksgiving

#14 cbreeze

cbreeze

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 08:44 PM

Foster Farms is free of additives and preservatives but also $2.99/lb. The smallest I found was $16.50. Ouch!
I just bought a turkey at Safeway and it doesn't list any gluten or wheat but it also does not say gluten free. : (

#15 lovegrov

lovegrov

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,537 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 09:33 PM

"I know Butter Ball wasn't several years ago, they injected some gluteney juice stuff into them."

Not true. I've been gluten-free more than 7 years and BB has been gluten-free that whole time.

richard

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: