36 replies to this topic

#16 DeeCee

DeeCee

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 20 November 2008 - 06:48 AM

Hi everyone. This is my first time posting.

Eating gluten free and msg free is challenging because so many companies disguise msg with names such as "autolyzed yeast extract" and a myriad of other names. I still remember getting sick after eating a Thanksgiving meal at my mother's in the late 80s/early 90s and discovering later they were starting the injecting craze.

I also am leary about anything they inject because they have many ways to disguise msg and probably gluten also on the label.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 lovegrov

lovegrov

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,537 posts

Posted 20 November 2008 - 07:59 AM

"I also am leary about anything they inject because they have many ways to disguise msg and probably gluten also on the label."

True for MSG. But, once again, on meats like turkey, gluten CANNOT be hidden. It will be plainly listed. Period.

richard

#18 auntphibian

auntphibian

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 November 2008 - 12:28 PM

Which popular turkey's are gluten free? i.e. Butterball, Perdue, etc. Does anyone know off hand?

Thanks in advance....

Don't worry about the brand name, just look for an all natural turkey with no additives and no preservatives. That's the only way to know it's gluten free

#19 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,028 posts

Posted 20 November 2008 - 12:37 PM

Don't worry about the brand name, just look for an all natural turkey with no additives and no preservatives. That's the only way to know it's gluten free

That is one way. It is, however, not the ONLY way. In the US, as has been previously noted, if any grain product is present in any meat, it MUST be declared on the label. Gluten comes from certain grains, and therefore there is no way it can be hidden in another ingredient in a meat product in the US. Period.
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#20 lovegrov

lovegrov

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,537 posts

Posted 20 November 2008 - 03:05 PM

"Don't worry about the brand name, just look for an all natural turkey with no additives and no preservatives. That's the only way to know it's gluten free "

I'm sorry, but that is NOT the only way.

richard

#21 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,711 posts

Posted 20 November 2008 - 03:52 PM

"I also am leary about anything they inject because they have many ways to disguise msg and probably gluten also on the label."

True for MSG. But, once again, on meats like turkey, gluten CANNOT be hidden. It will be plainly listed. Period.

richard

Many turkeys have a broth added, that broth can contain barley hidden in natural flavors. It is true that if there is wheat in the broth that it will be listed but that is not the case for barley or malt which is the bigger risk.
If you go for a turkey that is not prebasted and does not have broth on the label you should be fine.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#22 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,711 posts

Posted 20 November 2008 - 03:53 PM

"Don't worry about the brand name, just look for an all natural turkey with no additives and no preservatives. That's the only way to know it's gluten free "

I'm sorry, but that is NOT the only way.

richard

I agree heartily with this, natural flavors are one of the biggest risks on our labels and is where you may find barley hidden. Instead look for a turkey that is just that turkey with no broth or flavorings.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying

Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

#23 Generic

Generic

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 617 posts

Posted 20 November 2008 - 05:15 PM

Richard not to be rude, but they did not used to be gluten-free. I know this for a fact. My mom called and confirmed after I spent Thanksgiving night in the ER due to the butterball turkey my grandma made for dinner. (back then we ate at 2 P.M. for holiday dinners, not sure why).

Either way I have been gluten-free for 21 years now. I believe this happened about 18-19 years ago. I have since avoided that brand. I said several years ago they weren't okay. I haven't looked into it since, was just stating that they weren't several years ago.

Just wanted to clear up my statement. :)

"I know Butter Ball wasn't several years ago, they injected some gluteney juice stuff into them."

Not true. I've been gluten-free more than 7 years and BB has been gluten-free that whole time.

richard

#24 happygirl

happygirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,942 posts

Posted 20 November 2008 - 05:51 PM

Many turkeys have a broth added, that broth can contain barley hidden in natural flavors. It is true that if there is wheat in the broth that it will be listed but that is not the case for barley or malt which is the bigger risk.
If you go for a turkey that is not prebasted and does not have broth on the label you should be fine.

That is not the case for USDA meats, which states that any grains that are added to a meat product must be listed - so it does include other sources of gluten.

#25 Judyin Philly

Judyin Philly

Moved to SO CA in November 2010

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,626 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 11:04 AM

Hi
We got our free Albertson Turkey and was trying to find on line if it is gluten free.
thought maybe some of you would know.

I know the one they gave out last year was and the jenni-o was.
Let's hope this 17#'r is
Judy
Judy in Southern CA

#26 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,938 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 11:27 AM

We got our free Albertson Turkey and was trying to find on line if it is gluten free.
thought maybe some of you would know.

Judy--

Yes it is gluten-free, per Customer Care #877-932-7948. :)
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

#27 Judyin Philly

Judyin Philly

Moved to SO CA in November 2010

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,626 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 11:47 AM

Judy--

Yes it is gluten-free, per Customer Care #877-932-7948. :)

Thanks Patti
no more wasted time or stress.
love ya buddy
you always come through :lol:
judy
Judy in Southern CA

#28 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,711 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 04:18 PM

That is not the case for USDA meats, which states that any grains that are added to a meat product must be listed - so it does include other sources of gluten.

http://www.fsis.usda...ducts/index.asp

While grain added as grain or hydrolized proteins need to be identified not all potential gluten sources need to be on the label. As with many food items it is barley malt that is our biggest risk.
Barley malt is considered a flavoring agent and would not have to be identified on the label as anything more than natural flavoring, modified food starch does not need to be identified as to source either. Here is what the USDA says.
It is always a good idea to check whenever 'natural flavors or modified food starch is on the label of any meat.

What are Labeling Requirements for Additives?
The statutes and regulations to enforce the statutes require certain information on labels of meat and poultry products so consumers will have complete information about a product. In all cases, ingredients must be listed on the product label, in the ingredients statement in order by weight, from the greatest amount to the least.

Substances such as spices and spice extractives may be declared as "natural flavors," "flavors," or "natural flavoring" on meat and poultry labels without naming each one. This is because they are used primarily for their flavor contribution and not their nutritional contribution.

Substances such as dried meat, poultry stock, meat extracts, or hydrolyzed protein must be listed on the label by their common or usual name because their primary purpose is not flavor. They may be used as flavor enhancers, binders, or emulsifiers. They must be labeled using the species of origin of the additive, for example, dried beef, chicken stock, pork extract, or hydrolyzed wheat protein.

Color additives must be declared by their common or usual names on labels, e.g., FD&C Yellow 5, or annatto extract, not collectively as colorings. These labeling requirements help consumers make choices about the foods they eat.

From father down the page:

MODIFIED FOOD STARCH - starch that has been chemically altered to improve its thickening properties. Before the starch is modified, it is separated from the protein through isolation techniques; therefore, the source of the starch used is not required on the label.

#29 laurakirby

laurakirby

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 November 2008 - 08:06 AM

Does anyone know if House of Raeford Turkey's are gluten free, I tried to contact them but didn't receive a response (to date).

#30 lovegrov

lovegrov

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,537 posts

Posted 26 November 2008 - 10:09 PM

"Many turkeys have a broth added, that broth can contain barley hidden in natural flavors. It is true that if there is wheat in the broth that it will be listed but that is not the case for barley or malt which is the bigger risk.
If you go for a turkey that is not prebasted and does not have broth on the label you should be fine."

I've called the USDA in the past and have been told that ANY grain, included barley, absolutely must be listed. I have never in 7 years found a turkey with gluten unless it was pre-stuffed.

richard

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: