37 replies to this topic

#31 lovegrov

lovegrov

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,537 posts

Posted 26 November 2008 - 10:14 PM

"Richard not to be rude, but they did not used to be gluten-free. I know this for a fact. My mom called and confirmed after I spent Thanksgiving night in the ER due to the butterball turkey my grandma made for dinner. (back then we ate at 2 P.M. for holiday dinners, not sure why)."

You're not being rude.

I don't know about 20 years ago, but there are Butterball turkeys that have a gravy packet attached. Because of that, the ingredients list wheat. But it is clear that it's part of the gravy, not the turkey.

richard

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#32 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,793 posts

Posted 27 November 2008 - 03:22 PM

"Many turkeys have a broth added, that broth can contain barley hidden in natural flavors. It is true that if there is wheat in the broth that it will be listed but that is not the case for barley or malt which is the bigger risk.
If you go for a turkey that is not prebasted and does not have broth on the label you should be fine."

I've called the USDA in the past and have been told that ANY grain, included barley, absolutely must be listed. I have never in 7 years found a turkey with gluten unless it was pre-stuffed.

richard

I am glad you feel comfortable with your phone call, myself I prefer to get my answers from their actual regulations. As with anything the choice in how safe one wants to be is an individual choice. As with any food items the safest best is the least processed. A turkey that is just that turkey is the safest. If it has a broth or additive it should be checked.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#33 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,793 posts

Posted 28 November 2008 - 11:19 AM

"Many turkeys have a broth added, that broth can contain barley hidden in natural flavors. It is true that if there is wheat in the broth that it will be listed but that is not the case for barley or malt which is the bigger risk.
If you go for a turkey that is not prebasted and does not have broth on the label you should be fine."

I've called the USDA in the past and have been told that ANY grain, included barley, absolutely must be listed. I have never in 7 years found a turkey with gluten unless it was pre-stuffed.

richard

I just noticed this on the home page here-

"A gluten-free holiday dinner starts with a gluten-free turkey. Believe it or not some brands of turkey do contain additives that are not gluten-freeso, like everything else, read the ingredients and use our Gluten-Free Ingredient Lists or our Gluten-Free Shopping Guides to help you shop."
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#34 caek_is_a_lie

caek_is_a_lie

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 236 posts

Posted 29 November 2008 - 02:44 PM

"Many turkeys have a broth added, that broth can contain barley hidden in natural flavors.

Oh man that sucks! No wonder the last turkey I cooked gave me problems. I never even thought they'd ever inject a raw bird with gluten. Those cads! Argh. Here I thought I was being good and gluten-free with any old frozen turkey from Safeway. I had no idea what to look for. I had 2 turkeys that I thought would feed us for awhile, but I guess my boyfriend will get to dine alone tonight. Se la vie. I hope he's hungry!

#35 marjean

marjean

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 10:09 AM

"I know Butter Ball wasn't several years ago, they injected some gluteney juice stuff into them."

Not true. I've been gluten-free more than 7 years and BB has been gluten-free that whole time.

richard

I was told that Butterball turkey had modified food starch and celiacs should not eat it..Im having my first gluten free thanksgiving!! Any ideas??

#36 kareng

kareng

HO! HO! HO!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,318 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 10:15 AM

This is a very old thread. Any info from 2008 should be checked as product ingredients change.

Here is the current thread about turkeys.

http://www.celiac.co...r-thanskgiving/

santa-dance.gif

Once again, we come to the Holiday Season, a deeply religious time that each of us observes, in his own way, by going to the mall of his choice. - Dave Barry

“The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live.”  - George Carlin

“One can never have enough socks," said Dumbledore. "Another Christmas has come and gone and I didn't get a single pair. People will insist on giving me books.”  - J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone

#37 OneBrian@juno.com

OneBrian@juno.com

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 07:05 PM

Go to GlutenFreeCooking.About.com
They have a whole list of about a dozen turkey brands on their first screen.

#38 roxweb

roxweb

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 12 November 2014 - 08:30 AM

Every year our local grocer, HyVee, has a special where you guy a full ham and get a free turkey. Of course the free ones had broth listed as the main ingredient, and so did the local HyVee brand. So I found a BUtterball, with no broth listed in the ingredients, and it said "natural" on the label (which I know can mean nothing, of course). Then after I got home I decided I'd better not risk anything since I've had a hell of a time trying to be symptom free. 

After calling Butterball, they indicated that all of their whole turkeys and turkey breasts are indeed gluten free. That, coupled with the label not including broth, I'm hoping will mean I'm safe.

You known preparing for large family/friend gatherings is hard enough, I do hope some day we don't have such a hard time just picking out food from the grocery store.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: