Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

The Gene & Full-blown Celiac

4 posts in this topic

I have celiac disease. Nobody else in my family does according to tests, although my mom, grandmother, and brother all have problems that would make you think they had it.

Grandmother -- EXTREMELY SEVERE osteoporosis

Mother -- Bloating, distended stomach after eating gluten

Brother -- Low weight (exact size/weight I was at his age...very thin).

The doc. thought it was likely that my brother had it and this question is concerning him. The GI tested him about 6 months ago, as soon as I was diagnosed, and then tested a month later in disbelief at negative bloodwork. He has the gene, I think, but not celiac disease.........I don't really know too much about this; does this make sense? Having the gene, I think, means that he could develop celiac disease at any time due to a number of factors that include high stress......I don't remember the others. If he has the gene, but not celiac disease, does he need to be on a gluten-free diet? We're gonna ask my new celiac doctor about this after we get my symptoms under control, but I was interested to hear what people here thought. Will he need to get tested many times in the future to make sure that it hasn't developed into celiac disease? I know that there is always the possiblity of inaccuracy on the bloodwork, but I was just wondering about this gene thing. Thanks.

-celiac3270

Ads by Google:

Hey celiac3270!

I was just reading something regarding this subject in the book, Dangerous Grains... good book, by the way. The author mentioned the need for repeat testing, as celiac can develop at any time. My symptoms started about 5 years ago, at a time of great stress but, seriously that's when it happend for me and I'm now 28.... nothing was unusual prior to that. It seems that more and more tests turn positive the longer I wait. I wish I could convice my family, esp my sister to get tested... so, I think it's great that your family is being pro-active. I'll see if I can find out where the author writes about this and give you some info. He really does stress genetic-predisposition and the need for anyone who has tested positive at all to go gluten-free... at least to see if their symptoms improve.

Gretchen

celiac3270--

At first I was going to say that your family members seem to be "carriers" of celiac disease--but obvious exhibition of the disease's most common symptoms leaves me as confused as you.

:ph34r: <---- I think the gene is hiding, just like this guy :P Has anyone else in your family had an endoscopy? If so, what were the results?

Thanks for the info.....that's what I thought, Gretchen, but I hadn't read anything about it, so I didn't know for sure. Jill, nobody in my family has had a biopsy. My dad tested negative in the bloodwork, which makes a lot of sense. Neither he, nor anyone else on his side of the family show any signs of celiac disease. My grandma has bloodwork done--negative. Mother had bloodwork--negative. Brother had bloodwork--twice--negative. Nobody has had a biopsy....and I know that there are relatively common cases of neg. bloodwork, pos. biopsy.........so he probably should've had a scope since we had such suspicions about him. Once we get my symptoms under control, we'll talk to the doctor about my brother......he seems to be really on top of things and knowledgable, so he'll probably know what to do about all this.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Topics

• I also only really eat one meal a day and always after I get home. I never really feel hungrey. I call it 'Pavlov's dog in reverse'.  I think it comes from so many years of food making me sick. I have gotten to the point where I now at least can eat a sandwhich and some fruit during the day but it wasn't a quick process. When folks get like that it is very important to make sure that one meal has a good amount of both calories and nutrtion.  If your diet is how you describe you are starving yourself.  You need to get yourself used to eating again.  What helped me was carrying a baggie with some nuts and dry fruit with maybe even a handful of gluten free pretzels and always some chocolate baking chips. I just ate couple pieces when I thought of it throughout the day. A little bit of cheese and a couple safe crackers, a piece of fruit or a small tin or individual serving snack pack are also good. You need to get some nutrition during the day so you can feel up to cooking a simple full meal  for dinner. I hope your feeling better soon.
    • Ok, I can't seem to find my first lot of blood tests that were done for Celiac screening, they did include TTG I remember that much, and I am getting another copy of it but another test did come in today.  I don't know how different tests are done around the world and I don't get all the medical jargon but this is what it states, ******************************************************************************* HLA DR/DQ Genotyping for Coeliac Disease, Specimen type : EDTA blood Method : Detection of sequence-specific oligonucleotides (Gen-Probe). HLA-DR - 1, 13          DRB1 - 01, 13 HLA-DQ - 5,6        HLA-DQA1 - 5,6      HLA-DB1 - 05, 06 Interpretation : No genotype susceptibility for coeliac disease.  The DQ2 and DQ8 antigens associated with increased risk of coeliac disease were not identified in this patient.  In the absence of these antigens, coeliac disease is extremely unlikely.   *******************************************************************************   I have read the horror stories of blood tests and scope biopsies not be done right or flawed but here is what I do know as of now, At the moment the most non invasive test I can have done say negative.  I have double scopes (endoscopy and colonoscopy) booked for the 12th of October with results from biopsies expected a week or two after. Chances are they will show, a) signs of coeliac disease (even if the odds are low it can still happen), b) show signs of something else entirely and we will be busy dealing with the ramifications of that or c) it will show no signs of coeliac but I will still be suffering from gluten sensitivity (which is harder/impossible to measure clinically). My GP has told me that stress and anxiety can be a cause of all the symptoms I have been experiencing and suggests if the scopes show nothing that I may benefit from something to treat anxiety, i.e. antidepressants.  Not in a, "Oh we don't know what it is so have these," kind of way, he agrees with the thought that the scopes could indeed show coeliac, something else or even be negative. I did tell him that I could have a sensitivity and that even without benefit of clinical results, some people have gone on a gluten elimination diet for a period of time to see if they get any relief.  My question is this, if the scopes come up negative and I try eliminating gluten, how long would it be before I saw any results or improvements?  I have read enough here and elsewhere to know that everybody is different, some see results within days, some see results longer but are there any guidelines for how long a test like this should be undertaken for?  I have heard everything thing from two weeks to two months.  All of this is entirely moot at this point but I know that even if the results said clear, there would always be a little part of me that wonders if it could be a sensitivity that is the problem.  Any thoughts or advice greatly appreciated, and a thank you to all those who have taken the time to respond and offer advice and encouragement so far.        
    • We don't delete accounts but can delete any personal information and change your screen name if you would like. Just send me a personal message with three possible screen names. For the record you can edit most things in your account area with the exception of your screen name.
    • Thanks I never heard of that dye before, I guess I have to find more natural meat thanks for the suggestion. 
    • Yes, I only eat one meal a day. Sometimes salad or fries or whatever I can find. And thanks for the replies again.
  • Upcoming Events

• Blog Entries

• Recent Status Updates

• Who's Online (See full list)

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    Misalina