This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Veteran's Day

miles2go

miles2go Contributor

I am not what you would call the typical patriotic type (think waaay left), but after seeing "The View" yesterday because we had the day off from work, and watching Elizabeth Hasselbeck have her co-host taste all of the turkey stuffings, I keep wondering how the celiac troops are doing with their dietary needs. Does anyone have first- or second-hand knowledge? :unsure:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Canadian Karen Community Regular

Don't quote me on this by any means, but I seem to remember a thread about a celiac wanting to join the military, but being celiac disqualified them......

Karen

Ashley Enthusiast

I e-mailed the United States Air Force a bit back and it is considered a disability. However, the man I e-mailed told me that it was up to your health-screener (or something or another like that, it's been a while) that makes the finally decision. I've heard from my Sgt. and Maj from JROTC that it is possible to get a medical waiver. I pray to God that I get that waiver. I'm going to the upcoming Military Acedemy Day in Nashville and I will be talking to anyone I can about if it's possible for me to get in. I'll make sure to post my finding on here.

-Ash

happygirl Collaborator

miles2go:

in general, if you are dx'ed while in the service, you are often kept stateside bc your dietary needs cannot be met while in battle.

if you are dx'ed before, I have heard varying stories. (my father retired this past summer after serving for 38 years in the Navy so I have grown up around the military) most will tell you that chances are, you will not be accepted; if you are, it would only be for certain positions and you would not be sent to say, Iraq/Afghanistan.

(Just what I know, though)

miles2go Contributor

Wow, thanks for the info!

Meant to add...best of luck to you Ashley, in your endeavors! It sounds like a huge task to be surrounded by so many non-celiacs and not be able to take complete charge of your diet but, everything needs a first.

I'm going back into the denial-mode about this being a disability now. ;)

Nantzie Collaborator

Keep us posted Ashley. I hope you ultimately get accepted.

My dad was a Marine. I would consider it an honor if either of my children (one girl, one boy) were to want to serve their country in the military. Stateside or overseas.

As common as celiac and gluten intolerance is, I believe that it will be something that is worked with by the military eventually. Holding down the fort at home is important.

Nancy

debmidge Rising Star

Earlier this year in the publication from the CSA a military fellow (who was up there in ranks) wrote an article and he said he was the only celiac in his position in military and that the armed services will not willingly take a celiac due as they will probably be unable to feed them properly if they are sent overseas; and they can't take that chance and the expense of training someone and not being able to use their services anywhere but stateside. He also mentioned that if a trainee within first few years came down with celiac disease diagnosis they would most likely be medically discharged; length of time in service improved your chances for being kept stateside.

I asked my ex-Navy hubby what his opinion was and he felt very strongly that it would be too much of a challenge to live gluten-free in active duty whether overseas on on board ship during active military engagement. You'd be too dependent on supply ships that may or may not come on time with the food rations which would include the gluten-free rations. You might then be forced to eat gluten or not eat at all.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• 5 months later...
givingthanx Newbie

Hi. I'm in the Air National Guard. This is the state component of the Air Force. This past weekend, when I went in for my annual physical assessment, I was put on profile. This means that they marked me as undeployable, and therefore, unpayable. I can't serve until I get a negative diagnosis for gluten sensitivity. I have been in for 4 1/2 years.

The doctor I went in to see was going to let me through and allow me to just talk to my commander about it and have an understanding, but on second thought, he sent me over to the doctor in the room next door because he was a pediatric GI doctor. The first doctor did acknowledge that there could be some liability for me if he allowed me to pass through. The military doesn't like it if it appears you've been trying to keep a secret.

In all actuality, "gluten sensitivity" is not on the list of unwaiverable conditions, but celiac disease is. I'm not certain I have celiac, but I'm certain I'm gluten sensitive, so I thouht I might be able to slip past the radar. The second doctor (GI doctor) said that, for all practical purposes, they're the same. So he put me on profile.

Now I'm supposed to go see a civilian doctor, pay for the diagnosis all myself (I have no insurance), and if I don't do this, I get kicked out. If I do pay for the diagnosis and get a positive diagnosis, I get kicked out. I don't know for sure what I'm going to do, but I'm leaning toward NOT going to see a doctor for diagnosis at this time. I have a new job, I'm in the red, and my only income is commissions only. There's a learning curve, so I'm not making anything yet. I just can't afford to (a) pay for this right now or (B) get sick and miss time on the job.

Archived