#1 emcmaster

emcmaster

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 607 posts

Posted 11 November 2006 - 07:47 PM

Hi everyone,

I've started eating dairy again and was really looking forward to the Great Value brand yogurts from Walmart. I know that most Great Value products state "gluten free" on the label if it is verified so, and they also state allergens. I was surprised to see that the Great Value yogurts do not state gluten free on the label, but only identify soy as an allergen in the product. Because they *do* label most of the gluten free products "gluten free" I'm nervous to eat anything that doesn't say so on the package.

Which brings me to my question: how do I get a hold of Walmart to ask? I've done a million google searches and have spent more time than I think it's worth on the walmart website looking for a phone number, but to no avail. Does anyone have their phone number handy?

Thanks!!!!
ELIZABETH

gluten-free (04.17.2006)
corn-free (03.27.2007)
xanthan gum-free

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Franceen

Franceen

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 11 November 2006 - 09:23 PM

Great Value yogurts are probably not gluten-free (according to Walmart) because they have modified food starch which COULD be from Wheat or Barley. They claim that when it is gluten-free they mark it and in that case it would also say modified CORN or TAPIOCA starch.

Many many yogurts that are Low Fat have food starch that COULD be from barley/wheat.

SO, I only eat yogurts that say CORN starch - which includes Dannon Fruit-on-the-Bottom and Breyers Fruit on the Bottom and Dannon extra Creamy.

Basically the only yogurt I can find at my Walmart is the Breyer Fruit on the Bottom, so that's what I eat (or the Dannon FOTB from another store).

I just don't chance it anymore - been burned too many times with "FOOD Starch"

Franceen
Diagnosed DH by Allergist via gluten-free Diet Success
Gluten-free since Dec 2005
Gluten-free works so why keep getting tests?

Neg skin biopsy & Neg bloodwork after gluten-free for 3 months
No Endoscopy - need to eat gluten for good test & won't do it

No other Allergies or major ailments!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: