This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

*good* gluten-free Pizza Dough

vampella

vampella Contributor

I had a great recipe but lost it and now I can not find it. I found a gluten-free one online last night and used it....IT WAS HORRIBLE lol.

If anyone has a good recipe they wouldn't mind sharing I'd appreciate it.

Thanks

Char

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

happygirl Collaborator

if you are near a whole foods, i highly recommend their own pizza crusts. I normally do not like "pre-made" gluten free products, but this one is to die for.

hope you find something that works for you! :)

Ksmith Contributor

Gluten free pantry's is really, REALLY yummy. I highly recommend that one!

mamaw Community Regular

Food's by George has yummy pizza crusts..........

GFBetsy Rookie

This is the recipe I always use . . . my whole family eats (and enjoys) it. There is also another pizza crust thread out there somewhere that has another couple of recipes, in case you'd like some more ideas!

Good luck!

True Yeast Bread/Pizza Crust – Adapted from Bette Hagman’s Gluten Free Gourmet

3 C. gluten-free flour mix

1/4 c. sugar

3 1/2 tsp. Xanthan gum

1 1/2 tsp. Salt

1 1/2 Tbs. yeast

1/4 c. oil

1 3/4 c. water (Not too hot, or you'll kill the yeast. You want it to be about baby bath temperature.)

1 tsp. Rice vinegar

3 eggs

Mix flour mix, sugar, xanthan gum, and salt in the bowl of a stand mixer. Dump yeast on top, but don't mix it in. Combine warm water, oil, and vinegar. Pour directly on top of the yeast and let sit for 5 minutes or so. (The yeast should bubble and foam a bit.) Turn the mixer on low, and mix well. Mixture should be slightly warm. Add the eggs, then beat on high speed for 5 minutes. Turn oven to 375 degrees.

For Bread: Spray pans well with Pam. Spoon into pans (or English Muffin rings), and let rise on oven as it heats (about 20 minutes). Bake loaf pan for about 35 minutes. Bake muffin rings about 20 minutes.

For Pizza: Spray 2 13x18 jelly roll pans with Pam. Place half of the dough on each pan. Spray the top of the dough with Pam, and press the dough flat in the pan. (Or just wet your hands with water to spread it.) You don't have to let it raise. Bake about 10 minutes (til top is golden brown). Remove from oven. Top with sauce, cheese, and toppings. Return to oven and bake until cheese is melted – about 15 minutes. (For thicker crusts, use smaller pans.)

chrissy Collaborator

this ia a recipe i really like.

traditional pizza crust:

1 1/2 cups rice flour

1 cup tapioca flour

1/2 cup potato starch flour

1 tablespoon xanthan gum

1/4 tsp. salt

1 tsp. unflavored gelatin

1 package dry yeast (2 1/4 tsp)

1 cup water

2 tablespoons cooking oil

1 tsp vinegar

1 large egg

combine dry ingredients in large bowl

heat water to 120-130 (i used it hot out of the tap)

add oil to the water

with mixer on low, slowly add water and oil to the dry ingredients

then add vinegar, followed by egg

beat on high for 3 minutes

i spread it out on a piece of waxed paper on a cookie sheet. i sprayed the paper with pam spray, and used a rolling pin to roll it to the edges. i used a little rice flour to keep the rolling pin from sticking.

bake the crust at 425 degrees for 8 minutes and then add toppings and cook for another 15-20 minutes.

i was so excited when we made this crust---i could eat the pizza slices with my hands!!

kolka Explorer

PLEASE look under the other pizza crust thread. Someone posted the recipe from Bette Hagman's book The Gluten Free Gourmet Cooks Fast and Healthy. OMG I just made it for lunch today and it is sooooooo good!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Kibbie Contributor
I had a great recipe but lost it and now I can not find it. I found a gluten-free one online last night and used it....IT WAS HORRIBLE lol.

If anyone has a good recipe they wouldn't mind sharing I'd appreciate it.

Thanks

Char

There is a pizza place in Arizona called Picazzo's pizza (I've had their pizza and it it AMAZING) They use Tom Sawyer Gluten free flour and I found the recipe for the pizza crust on their website (The Tom Sawyer website)

Gluten Free Pizza Crust

All ingredients should be at room temperature. Recipe is for one 12-13 inch pizza.

If a thinner crust is desired, the extra dough may be used for bread sticks or a larger pizza. NOTE: Read all labels to insure all ingredients are gluten free.

Yeast Preparation; place in small mixing bowl

2 tsp. - Sugar

¼ cup + 3 Tbsp. - Warm water (100-105 deg F)

1 pkg - Rapid rise dry yeast (gluten free)

Combine sugar and water, then sprinkle yeast on top. Mix well. Set aside. Mixture should develop nice foam on top.

Dry Ingredients; place in medium size mixing bowl

1 ¾ cup - Tom Sawyer gluten free flour

1 tsp. - Italian seasoning (adds flavor but is optional)

½ tsp. - Salt

2 Tbsp. - Dry low fat powdered milk

1½ tsp. - Baking Powder (gluten free)

Blend dry ingredients well

Wet Ingredients; place in medium mixing bowl

2 tbsp. - Olive oil

½ cup - Refrigerated egg product (recommend Egg Beaters)

1 tsp. - Vinegar (gluten free – rice, apple, or wine)

Add yeast preparation and mix well

Pour wet ingredients slowly into dry ingredients while mixing well. Blend until dough develops a sheen and is very soft and sticky. It may be necessary to add extra flour or water to develop the proper consistency. If necessary, add flour or water 1 T at a time to achieve this consistency. Gluten free flour requires slightly more liquid to allow the yeast to rise. If the dough is too dry, a rise cannot be obtained and will be thin and tough. If the dough is too moist, the rise will collapse during the rise. Note: at this point the dough may be refrigerated or frozen for future use.

Place dough on greased and gluten free floured pizza sheet, cover with plastic wrap and press dough out, under the wrap, to achieve a thickness of about ¼ inch and with a rim crust as desired. Let stand in warm place for 10 minutes or more then add sauce and toppings as desired. Place the pizza in preheated hot oven at approximately 450 to 500 degrees (F) and bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until done.

vampella Contributor

thanks all for your great advice and recipes!!!

Char

Archived