This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Cnn Special On Celiac Tomorrow ?

Judyin Philly

jerseyangel Proficient
I just got a confirmation notice back that Heidi and CNN got my emails re: the show.

did anyone else who wrote emails today get one back too?

Judy

Judy--Yes, I got a confirmation, too :)

Actually when I saw the small video I am reminded of the diagnosing rate for the illness (about 2-5%). Since it appears that about 95% of the video is missing then it makes perfect sense. I did however enjoy the audio!

Tom

Tom--That is too funny! I see what you mean, though :unsure:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Nantzie Collaborator

I emailed and received the response email back.

:D

Nancy

Corkdarrr Enthusiast
I just got a confirmation notice back that Heidi and CNN got my emails re: the show.

did anyone else who wrote emails today get one back too?

Judy

Judy, I got the same email confirmation.

Judyin Philly Enthusiast

I find the 'conformations' very encouraging..

I really feel that as many of you that can- jot off fast note to her and CNN.

I think it would help encourage them to do another segment.

judy

rez Apprentice

Be careful who you point your finger at. Drug companies are not the enemy in all cases. They create drugs that kill infections and save lives. Have you ever had an infection? 90% of people who have type two diabetes are obese. My husband's company will make over a billion dollars off this drug. If people were healthier, ate better, and exercised more, there would be no need for this drug. Shouldn't people take responsibility for their own health every now and then. I did. I refused to be on acid reflux meds forever. Sadly, most people are not willing to do this. Before you damn all drug companies, think who really is responsible.

HawkFire Explorer
Be careful who you point your finger at. Drug companies are not the enemy in all cases. They create drugs that kill infections and save lives. Have you ever had an infection? 90% of people who have type two diabetes are obese. My husband's company will make over a billion dollars off this drug. If people were healthier, ate better, and exercised more, there would be no need for this drug. Shouldn't people take responsibility for their own health every now and then. I did. I refused to be on acid reflux meds forever. Sadly, most people are not willing to do this. Before you damn all drug companies, think who really is responsible.

The drug companies are responsible for tons of stuff including misleading the public about their medicines which kill hundreds of THOUSANDS of people a year. Mass experimentation supported by the corrupt FDA.

MILK- it does a body GOOD????

Milk robs your body of calcium GIVING you osteoporosis!

Canola/etc oils- GOOD for you????

OMG- the evil being done in the name of your HEALTH!!

(for those not in the know, use COCONUT OIL for EVERYTHING)

Soy- Women need this to help with menopausal symptoms!????

It burns out your thyroid!

MSG- harmless flavor enhancer??!

It is a NEUROTOXIN for crying out loud!

Irradiated fruits and vegetables- longer shelf life is GOOD???!!

Killing the essential enzymes and more. You're eating juicy GARBAGE!

Sulfites- keeps the food fresher longer!!??

KILLS the human consumer QUICKER!

The FDA is in cahoots with the pharm corps. One approves and promotes health killing practices and foods, while the other supplies the maintenance drugs for the diseases that occure as a result of ingesting POISON.

People should be in JAIL for these CRIMES AGAINST HUMANITY perpetuated by these two groups.

I'd better "BE CAREFUL" as you say, because those two groups are the biggest MASS MURDERERS in our country's history.

Fiddle-Faddle Community Regular
Drug companies are not the enemy in all cases. They create drugs that kill infections and save lives.

You certainly have a point. I would agree that we are lucky to have some of the drugs on the market.

However, 90% of pediatric ear infections are viral. How many people do you know who were ORDERED by their pediatricians to give their children antibiotics to "clear up the infection?" And even the 10% of ear infections that turn out to be bacterial--just because they are bacterial doesn't mean that the human body is incapable of dealing with them.

The fact that we need antibiotics to save so many lives today is precisely because antibiotics have been so grossly overused over the last few decades--not only with the knowledge of the pharmaceutical industries, but with their pushy marketing. I wasn't able to read a parents' magazine or even a women's magazine without tripping over an ad for antibiotics aimed at ear infections.

Check out the cold medicine aisle of your supermarket. How many of those "medicines" actually cure the common cold? How many of them even make you feel better? And notice how many of them there are now for children? Like children can't deal with a runny nose for a few days? Heck, you'd think adults can't deal with a runny nose--and the pharmaceutical industry has marketed their way into convincing half the world that they can't.

I heard a radio advertisement for a cold medication that sounded like a newscaster reading the news: "Studies show that office productivity increases with the use of X-brand cold medication--fewer sick days taken, blah blah blah." Of course, there was no mention of the number of other office workers infected by the ill person who dutifully downed his cold meds and came to work and breathed on everybody.

Tell me what long-term studies there are that indicate that giving a child 26 vaccines by the age of 18 months is safe. Oh, and while you're at it, have you ever noticed the media proclaiming loudly every August that children aren't PERMITTED to attend school if they are not up-to-date on their vaccinations? Did you know that that is an out-and-out LIE? Gee, wonder where that one originated?

How about SV-40 and the polio vaccine? Nice how that was totally hushed up, too.

Perhaps your husband can explain why the price of synthroid has gone up more than 300% in the last 15 years? I can't find any info showing that it costs more to produce now than it did 15 years ago. Interesting how the price has continued to match the insurance copay...

And every single manufacturer of children's vaccines has insisted that thimerosal in vaccines couldn't possibly be linked to autism and was perfectly safe. Never mind that the mercury load in the number of recommended children's vaccines manufactured before 2001 was WAY over the FDA limit for a healthy ADULT.

I'm sorry, Rez--I'm sure your husband is a fine person, and not directly responsible for the above problems, at least, I hope he wasn't. And, as you say, we ARE lucky to have some of the pharm. products available. But the other side of the story is much, much darker than the pharm industry will admit-- and a far greater portion of the whole truth.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

(To keep this on topic--I just sent my thanks in to Heidi Collins as well!)

Lisa Mentor

A polite discussion is aways welcome.

Judyin Philly Enthusiast

GOOD GRIEF :ph34r:

CAN'T WE EVEN CELEBRATE SOME GOOD NEWS ONCE IN A WHILE ON THIS BLASTED FORUM. :(

Lisa Mentor
GOOD GRIEF :ph34r:

CAN'T WE EVEN CELEBRATE SOME GOOD NEWS ONCE IN A WHILE ON THIS BLASTED FORUM. :(

100% in agreement!........If there is discord on this particular subject, which I cannot see, please start your own post.

This is a celebration today.

Judyin Philly Enthusiast
100% in agreement!........If there is discord on this particular subject, which I cannot see, please start your own post.

This is a celebration today.

THANK YOU LISA!!

I ONLY CAME BACK ON THIS FORUM TO POST ABOUT THE GOOD NEWS OF THE CNN COVERAGE AND TONIGHT TO CHECK ON A DEAR MEMBER (EVIE) WHO IS VERY ILL!

THIS JUST ISN'T THE FORUM IT USED TO BE..FOR THAT I AM SADDENED. :(

HawkFire Explorer
THANK YOU LISA!!

I ONLY CAME BACK ON THIS FORUM TO POST ABOUT THE GOOD NEWS OF THE CNN COVERAGE AND TONIGHT TO CHECK ON A DEAR MEMBER (EVIE) WHO IS VERY ILL!

THIS JUST ISN'T THE FORUM IT USED TO BE..FOR THAT I AM SADDENED. :(

Judy, is the slightest disagreement unacceptable to you? I hardly see how the postings degraded to such a state that all joy and happiness were utterly destroyed. You seem to be taking a couple of posts very hard and personally. I hope you can understand that in the natural course of conversation, disagreements, and exchanges that veer off topic can occur naturally and with little detriment to the bigger picture. I am very concerned that you took this so hard and typed in all capital letters. Even in my own family, discussions take turns that lead to other discussions and the main topic gets put aside for a few moments. It returns. It is natural to conversate this way. I hope you are ok. Your topic is a very good one. Thank you for beginning it. I was so happy to post to heidi collins. I only knew of the show because of your post.

Rachel--24 Collaborator
I am very concerned that you took this so hard and typed in all capital letters.

Judy always types in caps....its just easier for her to see the words this way.

HawkFire Explorer

Oh! I thougth she was so upset that she may be crying. I was concerned. Her topic was so good and I was only able to watch the show becasue I saw her post calling my attention to it.

tarnalberry Community Regular

I thought it was a pretty good segment. No, it wasn't perfect, but we're dealing with mainstream here, and there's some give that's going to happen. It's part of a start - a big start - to getting some wide attention on things. All in all, it's been a pretty good year for this stuff coming out.

PS - I also sent an email in. :)

jaten Enthusiast

Celebrate! Celebrate! Dance to the music!

The "real story"? The people who have Celiac Disease are the real story. I am the real story. You are the real story. Anyone here or in the big world beyond who suffers from Celiac Disease (whether they have been diagnosed or not), that's where the real story is.

Who cares why we've been so slow to understand Celiac in this country? What IS important is that the tide really is turning! I will expend my energy promoting this positive direction.

Thank you, Judy, for making me aware that CNN was doing this special! Thank you, Floridanative, for providing the link to the online video!

Gotta run! I hope you all have a GREAT day!! Oh, hey, did y'all catch it? Near the end of Heidi Collins' segment, she and Dr. Green were discussing that relatively little is known by the majority of people in this country about Celiac, and she said, "Well we're going to be screaming about it now." Thank you, Heidi! :)

Canadian Karen Community Regular
Judy, is the slightest disagreement unacceptable to you? I hardly see how the postings degraded to such a state that all joy and happiness were utterly destroyed. You seem to be taking a couple of posts very hard and personally. I hope you can understand that in the natural course of conversation, disagreements, and exchanges that veer off topic can occur naturally and with little detriment to the bigger picture. I am very concerned that you took this so hard and typed in all capital letters. Even in my own family, discussions take turns that lead to other discussions and the main topic gets put aside for a few moments. It returns. It is natural to conversate this way. I hope you are ok. Your topic is a very good one. Thank you for beginning it. I was so happy to post to heidi collins. I only knew of the show because of your post.

I think Judy was somewhat disappointed due to the fact that in recent history of this forum (and I know you wouldn't be aware of this since you only joined the end of October), was that there was a period where almost every thread that started out as positive and uplifting soon deteriorated into bickering and debating, basically hijacking the thread and wiping out any uplifting feelings that the thread was intended to create.

Perhaps a better course of action in this thread, if a debate on pharmaceutical companies is desired, is to start a new thread something along the lines of "Discussion regarding pharmaceutical companies" and post a link here in this thread inviting people over there if they wanted. That would have left the original intentions of Judy's thread intact.

Also, Judy has alot of difficulties with her eyes. She has her fonts at home enlarged to enable her to see, but the only way she can really see what she types on here is to do them all in caps.......

Hey, Judy, Darlink! Thank you for the heads-up on the CNN special! I wouldn't have known either without you!

Hugs.

Karen

par18 Apprentice
I thought it was a pretty good segment. No, it wasn't perfect, but we're dealing with mainstream here, and there's some give that's going to happen. It's part of a start - a big start - to getting some wide attention on things. All in all, it's been a pretty good year for this stuff coming out.

PS - I also sent an email in. :)

Actually it has been a pretty good last couple of months. CBS, USA, CNN all had informative segments. I have had numerous people tell me about seeing them who I did not think knew that much about Celiac before.

Tom

rez Apprentice

I agree about being positive. :):):) Thanks so much. Usually, I wouldn't say anything, but people need to remember it's hurtful sometimes when pointing fingers and it can be taken personal. :(:( Thanks so much for the info about the CNN news story. I've got so much positive information and support from this site that I'm not going to let one negative experience spoil it for me. Let's all be there for eachother!! Thanks again to all for the positive info!!! We are here to educate and support, not to debate. :):):) Thanks again to you all. There is so much I have learned and it's because of all of you. In the future, I will ignore any negative comments.:):) Thanks again to all the people out there who are hear for the right reasons. :):):)

jerseyangel Proficient

Rez--Thanks for your positive, happy post!! I love seeing all of those smilies in the morning :D

I think yesterday was a red-letter day for us all. Celiac Disease on CNN! We've had more media exposure in the last few months--all good news.

Judy--a huge thank-you for bringing this to our attention :) I would never have known about it otherwise. :P

This is getting extremely frustrating.

Judy, if someone on this thread had posted that we shouldn't be pointing fingers at gluten, and that you are responsible for all the damage gluten has done to your body, isn't there a chance that you might feel as outraged as I do about Hez's comment about the vaccine manufacturers?

Two of my children were OFFICIALLY damaged by vaccines--documented by the doctors and reported to the CDC. I have had OFFICIAL, documented-by-the-doctors, severe reactions not just to vaccines, but to post-surgery Endocet, which is given out like candy even though it is less effective than Ibuprofen or Tylenol and has severe side effects on a huge percentage of patients.

I had no intention of hijacking your thread or of starting a discussion on the pharmaceutical industry. I did, however, feel that I had a responsibility to mention some of the facts that I have learned. If my doing so protects just once child (or adult) from the harm that has been done to me and my children, then I think it's a good thing. I feel responsible here--if I don't mention these facts and somebody here (we and our children are statistically THE most likely group to have adverse reactions to vaccines and other druis) doesn't know about them because I kept my mouth shut--and then their child has a terrible reaction--then it becomes partly my fault.

I am convinced that vaccines and possibly antibiotics are also somehow linked to autoimmune disease--which affects all of us here.

Are you really going to force everyone who doesn't post with smilies all the time to shut up, just because they don't share your mood--or religion--or way of expressing themselves? Is it all right to post a potentially inflammatory post about vaccines, but then pretend it's totally other people's fault for being negative when they respond? You do realize that's what just happened here, don't you?

I have only recently learned how to stand up for myself. It's bad enough getting smashed down by doctors who think gluten is not a problem. Now I feel I am getting slapped in the face, both by Hex's original post and by Judy, Momma Goose, and others who think that I have no right to respond.

spunky Contributor

Thanks for the link...I had to miss the show, but was very encouraged to see this on CNN...I e-mailed the link to relatives, so they'd understand (even though I never go to doctors because I agree with those who kinda bad-mouthed the pharm industry, etc., I mean, I know some docs and some drugs have saved people's lives, but in my own case, it's always gone from BAD to WORSE when I've let a doc get involved...so...the anger is understandable, while at the same time certain docs/drugs deserve gold badges of honor)--so I'm saying even though I have not gone to a doctor and gotten any diagnosis...and my family seems to think I'm just crazy, I AM so much better gluten free, and so assuming this is what has been wrong with me for around 13 years.

I was glad to hear Heidi Collins say even a crumb makes her as sick as an entire loaf of bread. I know I've read it in places, and seen it here, but when it seems to have happened to me, just a week and a half ago; I mean, as careful as I was, I think I inadvertently managed to ingest undetectable gluten at somebody else's house...and just now starting to come out of that awful attack--so, I guess I'm saying it kind of helped me to just hear her say that on TV. The whole thing was very informative and I admire her for going public with her own disease in the effort to help others.

Canadian Karen Community Regular
This is getting extremely frustrating.

Judy, if someone on this thread had posted that we shouldn't be pointing fingers at gluten, and that you are responsible for all the damage gluten has done to your body, isn't there a chance that you might feel as outraged as I do about Hez's comment about the vaccine manufacturers?

Two of my children were OFFICIALLY damaged by vaccines--documented by the doctors and reported to the CDC. I have had OFFICIAL, documented-by-the-doctors, severe reactions not just to vaccines, but to post-surgery Endocet, which is given out like candy even though it is less effective than Ibuprofen or Tylenol and has severe side effects on a huge percentage of patients.

I had no intention of hijacking your thread or of starting a discussion on the pharmaceutical industry. I did, however, feel that I had a responsibility to mention some of the facts that I have learned. If my doing so protects just once child (or adult) from the harm that has been done to me and my children, then I think it's a good thing. I feel responsible here--if I don't mention these facts and somebody here (we and our children are statistically THE most likely group to have adverse reactions to vaccines and other druis) doesn't know about them because I kept my mouth shut--and then their child has a terrible reaction--then it becomes partly my fault.

I am convinced that vaccines and possibly antibiotics are also somehow linked to autoimmune disease--which affects all of us here.

Are you really going to force everyone who doesn't post with smilies all the time to shut up, just because they don't share your mood--or religion--or way of expressing themselves? Is it all right to post a potentially inflammatory post about vaccines, but then pretend it's totally other people's fault for being negative when they respond? You do realize that's what just happened here, don't you?

I have only recently learned how to stand up for myself. It's bad enough getting smashed down by doctors who think gluten is not a problem. Now I feel I am getting slapped in the face, both by Hex's original post and by Judy, Momma Goose, and others who think that I have no right to respond.

You have every right to respond, if you feel the need or obligation to. But my suggestion to "do it somewhere else" instead of hijacking Judy's thread, would be the best way to do it. If you feel the need to debate the pros and cons of vaccines, I think the least likely place for that debate would be a feel good thread created to celebrate our excitement about such great coverage.

I can totally see Judy's point. Someone coming into this thread would assume it is a discussion about the CNN expose, they certainly don't expect it to turn into a debate about pharmaceutical companies or vaccines. In my opinion, that is like shoving your particular views down my throat, because basically, I came into this thread to celebrate our CNN coverage, not to read about a complicated debate that has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with the thread's intent at all. It is nothing more than a deliberate hijack, and the proper way to handle it would be to start a new thread and post a link "inviting" people over if they wish to discuss that particular topic.

I am so glad you have learned to "stand up for yourself". That's great - you have every right to do that - but so does Judy - and she's standing up for herself in trying to protect the original intent of this thread. Take arguments somewhere else.

Karen

Lisa Mentor

Fiddle-Faddle:

I think a new post would be a more appropriate forum for your discussion. I myself would like to continue reveling in our successes of yesterday. :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Archived