This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

gluten-free Care Products

Victoria.K

Victoria.K Newbie

Hi everyone!

I am somewhat new to this community; I have been reading the posts for some time now, and I have found them very informative. Now, I got one question of my own to ask. Do care products that we use ( i. e. face creams, toothpastes) have any influence upon us glutene allergics?

See, I live in Ukraine, where information on this disease is at a very low level. Usually, there is no info on the food label about flour and other glutene-containing stuff included- in fact, we have only ONE brand of glutene free labeled food, imported from Australia and costing several times more than local goodies would cost ( if someone here would have bothered to make glutene free products). So upon each and every item, I have to make my own research, even phoning the product maker- or, if I am not strictly sure that product is glutene free, dropping it from my diet. So it's pretty hard time, being a glutene free person in Ukraine.

What is more, I have never heard about the chance of getting glutene contaminated through shower gels and toothpastes- not until I read here in this forum about it. Local doctors do not give a darn about it for sure.

The thing is, although I am pretty sure at present that my diet is strictly glutene free, I keep suffering dermatitis from time to time, and I have reasons to believe that it might be caused by some wrong- glutenically :) wrong- ingredients in care products that I use.

I would be glad if someone told me what ingredients should be avoided in care products. I guess that face creams with wheat proteins are a no-no for sure? what other ingredients are dangerous? I am allergic to

glutene only, no caseine allergy here.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Creative-Soul Newbie

Hello, Victoria, and welcome to the board!

There was a recent thread on here that discussed this whole topic...you may have read it already but I'll give it to you again in a minute...

Here are two lists that I managed to dig up about ingredients to look out for...hope this helps!

Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein

Avena Sativa (Oat) Kernel Flour

Cyclodextrin

Dextrin

Dextrin Palmitate

Hydrolyzed Oat Flour

Hydrolyzed Vegetable Protein

Hydrolyzed Wheat Flour

Hydrolyzed Wheat Gluten

Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein

Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein/PVP Crosspolymer

Hydrolyzed Wheat Starch

Maltodextrin

Secale Cereale (Rye) Seed Flour

Triticum Vulgare (Wheat) Germ Extract

Triticum Vulgare (Wheat) Germ Oil

Triticum Vulgare (Wheat) Gluten

Triticum Vulgare (Wheat) Starch

Wheat Amino Acids

Wheat Germ Glycerides

Wheat Germamidopropalkonium Chloride

Wheat Protein

Wheatgermamidopropyl Ethyldimonium Ethosulfate

Yeast Extract

BARLEY DERIVED INGREDIENTS

AMINO PEPTIDE COMPLEX

BARLEY EXTRACT

HORDEUM VULGARE (BARLEY) EXTRACT

PHYTOSPHINGOSINE EXTRACT

WHEAT DERIVED INGREDIENTS

AMP-ISOSTEAROYL HYDROLYZED WHEAT PROTEIN

DISODIUM WHEATGERMAMIDO PEG-2 SULFOSUCCINATE

HYDROLYZED WHEAT GLUTEN

HYDROLYZED WHEAT PROTEIN

HYDROLYZED WHEAT PROTEIN PG-PROPYL SILANETRIOL

HYDROLYZED WHEAT STARCH

HYDROXYPROPYLTRIMONIUM HYDROLYZED WHEAT PROTEIN STEARYLDIMONIUMHYDROXYPROPYL HYDROLYZED WHEAT PROTEIN WHEAT AMINO ACIDS WHEAT BRAN EXTRACT WHEAT GERM EXTRACT WHEAT GERM GLYCERIDES WHEAT GERM OIL WHEAT GERMAMIDOPROPYLDIMONIUM HYDROXYPROPYL HYDROLYZED WHEAT PROTEIN WHEAT PROTEIN WHEAT (TRITICUM VULGARE) BRAN EXTRACT TRITICUM VULGARE (WHEAT) FLOUR LIPIDS TRITICUM VULGARE (WHEAT) GERM EXTRACT TRITICUM VULGARE (WHEAT) GERM OIL

OAT DERIVED INGREDIENTS

AVENA SATIVA (OAT) FLOUR

AVENA SATIVA (OAT) KERNEL PROTEIN

OAT (AVENA SATIVA) EXTRACT

OAT BETA GLUCAN

OAT EXTRACT

OAT FLOUR

SODIUM LAUROYL OAT AMINO ACIDS

Here's the thread discussing why we have to be careful of using personal care products containing gluten:

Open Original Shared Link.

happygirl Collaborator

Welcome to the board!

Victoria.K Newbie

Thanks to all of you for your help!

Yeah, I have already noticed that this resource has tons of useful info! I'm spending hours on reading it through.

Although many people here have said that the glutene stuff containing in creams does not get into stomach and therefore cannot harm, I really feel the reason for my recurring dermatitis may be just that.

I just went through my creams and dropped all those containing hydrolyzed wheat ( all of them did). I have always been ingredients-conscious, but presently I am twice as conscious. But it really occurs that our suppliers aren't! For instance, I can' t get hold of any glutene free shampoo... I'll have to go to a huge department store next week in person and spend hours on reading labels, because when you ask a section consultant, it appears that the poor girl has never heard of glutene, let alone knowing whether any of those shampoos is safe for it!!! Nor are suppliers' customers services any wiser for it. I would be thankful if someone could tell me which shampoos are glutene free. Maybe I'll be able to find any of those around.

Archived