3 replies to this topic

#1 kathyhay

kathyhay

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 15 August 2004 - 11:33 PM

I'm just trying to figure out what is wrong with my husband... exploring all possibilities...

I am trying to find out also if there is a forum for discussion for lactose intolerance like this forum for celiac disease.

My husband tells me that milk soothes his stomach, so I don't know what to think. One of his aunts is lactose intolerant...

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 GEF

GEF

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 16 August 2004 - 05:04 AM

kathy,

We discuss a lot of related issues at times.. you are certainly welcome here. The answer to whether lactose intolerance & gluten intolerance display similar symptoms... the answer is yes.... the reaction is just due to a different thing. Gluten intolerance is A LOT more serious than lactose intolerance though.. and he should see a doctor about getting tested. Also, lactose intolerance could also be present as a side-effect of the damage of gluten intolerance, so it's not unusual to see both. It really is important for your husband to see a doctor... he should have some things ruled out... just in case ;)

Good luck!
Gretchen

#3 SteveW

SteveW

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 17 August 2004 - 12:01 AM

I think the symptoms can be the same or different depending on the person.

My reaction to milk/dairy is Severe and sudden. Lots of gut wrenching pain and about an hour in the head. After about 2 hours the pain is done and I feel better.

Gluten is more sneaky with me. Prior to being diagnosed I would have never guessed it was gluten that was causing most of my problems. Delayed reaction or no obvious symptoms at all. I ate a DD muffin and coffee every morning for 5 years and was not sick for weeks at a time. That was up to last year when I got really sick everyday from just about everything I ate.

You should really have your husband checked out by a doc. There are so many things that can cause GI symptoms (assuming thatís what bothering him). It's not wise to let Auto immune diseases go-trust me I'm paying the price for not getting help soon enough.

#4 debmidge

debmidge

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,566 posts

Posted 17 August 2004 - 01:53 AM

Kathy,

Lactose intolerance can be tested for at the gastro's office. It's a device that you breathe into a few times and it measures something in breath. Several years ago gastro tested my husband like this, and he passed the test. My husband is celiac and I am severely lactose intolerent. I have been lactose intolerant for about 26 years - as soon as I hit my twenties I developed it. I am the only person in my family that has it. Go figure. Milk/dairy with lactose in it never soothes my stomach. Actually when I look at dairy that has lactose in it, I know how sick I'll feel afterwards and I reject it.

The serious gut diseases that would give symptoms like lactose intolerance would be, and are not limited to: celiac, Crohn's, intestinal cancers and pancreatic cancer. These should not be fooled around with. Any diarrhea lasting over a week should be investigated, even if the diarrhea comes and goes for weeks. The diarrhea in the early stages of pancreatic cancer is intermittant like that - which would give he patient the idea that whatever they had went away or it was only stress that gave them the stomach ache/diarrhea. Diarrhea from intestinal cancers are the first sign - that's why it should not be ignored or taken lightly. Pancreatic cancer is sneaky like that, many doctors have a hard time diagnosing it until it's too late. A blood test for liver/pancreatic function would be the first step. I don't want to put the fear of God into you, but I have lived thru a husband with celiac and a father with pancreatic cancer; the pancreatic cancer followed almost the same track as the celiac did, same symptoms: maldigestion and malabsorption with diarrhea.

Best wishes for a speedy diagnosis.
Husband has Celiac Disease and
Husband misdiagnosed for 27 yrs -
The misdiagnosis was: IBS or colitis
Mis-diagnosed from 1977 to 2003 by various gastros including one of the largest,
most prestigious medical groups in northern NJ which constantly advertises themselves as
being the "best." This GI told him it was "all in his head."
Serious Depressive state ensued
Finally Diagnosed with celiac disease in 2003
Other food sensitivities: almost all fruits, vegetables, spices, eggs, nuts, yeast, fried foods, roughage, soy.
Needs to gain back at least 25 lbs. of the 40 lbs pounds he lost - lost a great amout of body fat and muscle
Developed neuropathy in 2005
Now has lymphadema 2006
It is my opinion that his subsequent disorders could have been avoided had he been diagnosed sooner by any of the dozen or so doctors he saw between 1977 to 2003

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: