This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Gluten Free, Dairy Free Cookies

floridanative

floridanative Community Regular

I am going to a gluten free cookie swap next month and one of our members (at least one) is also dairy free so I thought I'd try making some cookies they could have. I know someone is making a peanut butter cookie for the event that doesn't call for dairy so I can't make the same. Does anyone have any other suggestions? Also, I don't really know exactly what dairy free means since I only have issues with gluten at this time so I don't know what all I'm trying to avoid using in the cookies. Thanks if anyone can help.

Also, I can give a tip about making gluten free pecan pies for those who like pecans. I use the classic recipe on the Karo syrup bottle but of course this year was my first attempt at making a gluten free crust. I used GFP mix and it was out of this world good - much better than my old gluten Pet Ritz crust of yester year. Anyway, for a Thanksgiving meal on Sat., I made mini pecan pies. I made half the dough from the GFP mix bag. That amount was just a littel more than I needed for 24 mini muffin tin pies. It's tedious to press the dough in each cup but it turned out to be worth the trouble. Once the crusts are formed put the plain chopped pecans in each shell....about 1 1/4 cup of pecans I think. Then fill each cup to the top with the pecan pie filling (everything but the nuts). The nuts of course will rise to the top but if you incorporate the nuts in the filling first, you will not have an equal number of nuts in each pie. I think it took about 40 minutes to bake and in the future I'd bake the crusts for only 5 minutes and then fill as noted abouve. Very important tip: let cool completely before attempting to remove from pan. Also, I had to cover with foil the last ten minutes so they pecans didn't overcook/brown. Oh and I also used reg. shortening instead of butter flavored since the crust already called for butter. I didn't want them to be so buttery tasting and they were just right.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

angel-jd1 Community Regular

I don't have any cookie recipes for you that are dairy free, but I wanted to say that a cookie swap sounds like so much fun!!! Let us know how it goes.

-Jessica :rolleyes:

StrongerToday Enthusiast

My mother makes merangue (spelled wrong, sorry!) cookies. They are pretty much just egg white, sugar, vanilla and cream of tarter. Sometimes she puts chocolate chips in too. I think I saw the recipie posted a while ago called Forgotten Cookies - you leave them in the oven overnight to cook. You could also decorate with colored sprinkles for a more festive look. Let me know if you'd like the recipie and I'll get it from her.

Merangue cookies sounds like a good idea but WF has some that I can just buy instead of making them since I'm also making choc. chip cookes. Thanks for the idea. Maybe someone will come up with something else though. What about 123 gluten-free pan bars? You use veg. oil with them and eggs. Would those be considered dairy free?

kolka Explorer

be careful about choc chips - most have dairy, even the semi sweet. Trader Joe's has dairy free semi sweet choc chips.

kolka - the choc. chip cookies are what I'm making for the swap for those who are only gluten free. I just feel bad for the girl who's also dairy free so I'm making something GFDF for her. However we are getting a Trader Joe's here soon so I'll tell her about their gluten-free choc. chips.....that's good to know.

jmengert Enthusiast

Enjoy Life also has soy free, dairy free, and gluten-free chocolate chips that are excellent--I use them all the time in my chocolate chip cookies.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jenvan Collaborator

Hey friend! I am having a cookie exchange next month too--I do it every year, even though I can't eat most of them :) Except in cases of cream cheese or sour cream recipes, I can usually make any gluten-free/cf. I use a flour mix one for one in recipes and sub non dairy milk and earth balance cf butter for all my baking. You've probably seen me mention that before. My FAVORITE chocolate chips are tropical source. They are gluten-free/cf and very rich tasting. If you can get your hands on some they have a much richer chocolately taste than enjoy life's.

For my party, I'm making a gluten-free/cf chocolate cookie with peanut butter filling. I could scan and e-mail it to you if you like. I have a TON of recipes that can be made cf... What type of cookie are you looking for? Any ideas, fruity, chocolately, nutty? E-mail me (I might not be on here again in a while) and I can e-mail you some...

dragonmom Apprentice

Macaroons

lpellegr Collaborator

How about the peanut butter cookies that are just 1c peanut butter, 1c sugar, and 1 egg? You could add chocolate chips or press a naked chocolate kiss into it after baking. I'd give more instructions, but I have to go look it up - you could probably find it faster by searching this site.

DianeByrd Apprentice

How about Manischewitz macaroon cookies? Their website lists foods that are free of a given allergen. If the package also says "pareve", it's dairy free also. I'm not sure why they don't just give a list of all their items that are milk free.

Open Original Shared Link

Cappaccino Chip Macaroons

Chocolate Chip Macaroons

Chocolate Chunk Cherry Macaroons

Chocolate Macaroons

Chocolate Morsels

Cinnamon Raisin Macaroons

Coconut Macaroons

Coffee Flavored Macaroons

Dark Chocoate Covered Macaroons

Banana Split Macaroons

Toffee Crunch Macaroons

Fudgey Nut Brownie Macaroons

Honey Nut Macaroons

Maple Pecan Macaroons

Meringues (All)

Rocky Road Macaroons

Ultimate Triple Chocolate Macaroons

Hey thanks for all the great tips everyone but I found a pineapple cake on listserv that doesn't contain gluten or dairy so I'm making that as I found out the cookie swap can be any gluten-free dessert. I'll let you know if the cake is good (trying it this week) and will post recipe if so.

Found another gluten-free/df dessert. You can make 123 gluten-free brownies with veg. oil instead of butter.

Archived