Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Dr. Fasano Is Coming To Richmond, Va

3 posts in this topic

Name: Dr. Alessio Fasano from The Center For Celiac Research

Date: 09/19/2004, Sunday

Time: 2:30 PM

Place: Trinity United Methodist Church - 903 Forest Avenue

Comments:

Dr. Fasano is a leading researcher in celiac disease. He is the Co-Director of the University of Maryland Center For Celiac Research. After the release of the multi-center study on celiac disease, Dr. Fasano organized the American Celiac Task Force. Dr. Fasano will be discussing celiac disease "Where We Were, Where We Are, Where We Are Leading?"

http://www.gigofrichmond.org/MeetingsEvents.php

Ads by Google:

I wanted to write a follow-up to my visit to the Richmond GIG today with Dr. Fasano guest speaking.

If I can say anything, it was a wonderful experience being around fellow celiacs & gluten intolerants. Many brought baked gluten-free goodies and there was lots of literature, etc. If you ever have the chance to visit a support group, I'd highly recommend it... it was quite fun and there were tons of people from a broad age spectrum.

Dr. Fasana spoke about how the celiac diagnosis has evolved through the years.. whether it be in understanding of the cause, symptoms or diagnostic testing. It was a very interesting and informative time. I personally had no idea how important HLA typing is and how this should be done along with the other celiac diagnostic tests. This is genetic testing for DQ2 & DQ8. He also spoke a lot about the research that his organization is doing and it's all very exciting.

Here are some celiac prevalence ratios that you may or may not have heard:

In healthy individuals: 1:133

In symptomatic individuals: 1:40 (now this one just amazes me!!)

In 1st degree relatives: 1:22

In 2nd degree relatives: 1:39

The good thing is that I pretty much knew most of what Dr. Fasano was discussing... it's amazing how much you learn here!!

Gretchen

Wow... there is virtually no statistical significance between chances of having celiac from having a second degree relative and from having symptoms. That is _fascinating_ and likely has some significant implications. I'll have to try to find the original paper!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Topics

• Ok, I can't seem to find my first lot of blood tests that were done for Celiac screening, they did include TTG I remember that much, and I am getting another copy of it but another test did come in today.  I don't know how different tests are done around the world and I don't get all the medical jargon but this is what it states, ******************************************************************************* HLA DR/DQ Genotyping for Coeliac Disease, Specimen type : EDTA blood Method : Detection of sequence-specific oligonucleotides (Gen-Probe). HLA-DR - 1, 13          DRB1 - 01, 13 HLA-DQ - 5,6        HLA-DQA1 - 5,6      HLA-DB1 - 05, 06 Interpretation : No genotype susceptibility for coeliac disease.  The DQ2 and DQ8 antigens associated with increased risk of coeliac disease were not identified in this patient.  In the absence of these antigens, coeliac disease is extremely unlikely.   *******************************************************************************   I have read the horror stories of blood tests and scope biopsies not be done right or flawed but here is what I do know as of now, At the moment the most non invasive test I can have done say negative.  I have double scopes (endoscopy and colonoscopy) booked for the 12th of October with results from biopsies expected a week or two after. Chances are they will show, a) signs of coeliac disease (even if the odds are low it can still happen), b) show signs of something else entirely and we will be busy dealing with the ramifications of that or c) it will show no signs of coeliac but I will still be suffering from gluten sensitivity (which is harder/impossible to measure clinically). My GP has told me that stress and anxiety can be a cause of all the symptoms I have been experiencing and suggests if the scopes show nothing that I may benefit from something to treat anxiety, i.e. antidepressants.  Not in a, "Oh we don't know what it is so have these," kind of way, he agrees with the thought that the scopes could indeed show coeliac, something else or even be negative. I did tell him that I could have a sensitivity and that even without benefit of clinical results, some people have gone on a gluten elimination diet for a period of time to see if they get any relief.  My question is this, if the scopes come up negative and I try eliminating gluten, how long would it be before I saw any results or improvements?  I have read enough here and elsewhere to know that everybody is different, some see results within days, some see results longer but are there any guidelines for how long a test like this should be undertaken for?  I have heard everything thing from two weeks to two months.  All of this is entirely moot at this point but I know that even if the results said clear, there would always be a little part of me that wonders if it could be a sensitivity that is the problem.  Any thoughts or advice greatly appreciated, and a thank you to all those who have taken the time to respond and offer advice and encouragement so far.        
    • We don't delete accounts but can delete any personal information and change your screen name if you would like. Just send me a personal message with three possible screen names. For the record you can edit most things in your account area with the exception of your screen name.
    • Thanks I never heard of that dye before, I guess I have to find more natural meat thanks for the suggestion. 
    • Yes, I only eat one meal a day. Sometimes salad or fries or whatever I can find. And thanks for the replies again.
    • A colonoscopy is not used to diagnose celiac disease.  An endoscopy is used to obtain biopsies in the small intestine.  
  • Upcoming Events

• Blog Entries

• Recent Status Updates

• Who's Online (See full list)

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    Misalina