This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Thanksgiving

mom2two

mom2two Apprentice

This is our first gluten/casein free thanksgiving and my parents, in attempt to help, have decided to take everyone out for thanksgiving!!!! Needless to say this doesn't help at all. Now I am trying to cook my 4 year old a gluten free dinner AND transport it to the resturant without her knowing. She has only been gluten free/casein free for three months and is doing so well that I don't want to risk cross contamination. So....

I figure I can easily do the side dishes of fruit and vegies and a jello salad but, is turkey normally gluten free and anyone know of a gluten free gravy? Any other tasty but easy dishes? Thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Guest nini

if your 4 year old is the ONLY family member that is gluten-free/cf then going out can be a great idea for everyone else...

as far as turkey and gravy being gluten-free, it really depends on how it's prepared, is the bird injected with a stabilizing solution that may contain gluten, is it stuffed with gluten filled stuffing, is it then basted in the juices (which would include the gluten) on and on...

this will be my fourth Thanksgiving gluten-free, and I always make my own bird and do my own gluten-free cornbread stuffing (on the side), make my own side dishes, deserts and so on, anything that I want to eat, I make (unless my mom makes it and she verified everything with me...)

so, if it's just the four year old, that is gluten-free/cf, are they really going to notice the difference if you bring turkey from home or a baked chicken breast from home or even gluten-free Turkey lunchmeat? Be creative! I've found with my daughter that as long as her meal is a reasonable facsimile of what her friends are having, she really doesn't care what it is as long as it doesn't make her sick. You might even want to ask your child what would they prefer? A baked chicken breast or some turkey lunchmeat? The whole point of the holiday is not so much WHAT you eat, but in spending time with loved ones. So enjoy your stress free Turkey dinner out!

Mom2Ryan Newbie

I'm a little anxious too for our first Thanksgiving. Is there a certain type of turkey to buy that is typically ok so I can give my sister a heads up? We are driving to Texas to be with her and she is in charge. My other question is marshmellows for the yams. I haven't had time to call the company yet. Does anyone know any brands that are ok?

mom2two Apprentice
I'm a little anxious too for our first Thanksgiving. Is there a certain type of turkey to buy that is typically ok so I can give my sister a heads up? We are driving to Texas to be with her and she is in charge. My other question is marshmellows for the yams. I haven't had time to call the company yet. Does anyone know any brands that are ok?

Most marshmellows that I've checked are fine, but I want to know about the turkey too, anyone????

jmengert Enthusiast

Based on what I've read from this forum and others, Butterball, Shady Brook Farms, and Honeysuckle are all gluten-free. However, US law dictates that for meat products, grains must be declared. So, you should just have to read the label. Beware, of course, pre-stuffed turkeys or suspect gravy packets.

happy4dolphins Enthusiast

I called butterball today while at the grocery store. In my celiac meeting on Tuesday, someone said butterball was gluten-free and had it right on the labe. I didn't see that anywhere. Anyway, the gravy is NOT gluten free. The bird it self is gluten free, it's not injected or glazed with anything.

1800butterball is the number.

Nicole in Michigan

mom2jpb Newbie

I am planning on getting a fresh turkey from an organic farm. I was just diagnosed a week ago, my autistic son has not had his testing yet, and I feel like I am being a little nuts to go to such lengths, but I don't want to wind up in the emergency room again.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Ellen Newbie
I am planning on getting a fresh turkey from an organic farm. I was just diagnosed a week ago, my autistic son has not had his testing yet, and I feel like I am being a little nuts to go to such lengths, but I don't want to wind up in the emergency room again.

Everyone--

Butterball is safe, as well as the others listed earlier. I do not use the enclosed seasoning packets or basting packets in any of the birds I buy...chicken or turkey. And don't get pre-stuffed ones. That's definately a gluten no-no. If you have a home recipie for stuffing you can easily make your own with gluten-free breads or bread crumbs. I recommend using Glutano's Corn Bread...it's in the frozen section of the health food store locally. It is not old fashioned corn bread...it is sandwich bread made with a corn base. It toasts better than the others and is easier to make into crumbs after toasting for stuffing.

I've tried Maxwell's Kitchen gluten-free Turkey Gravey. It's not bad, but I like homemade again. My brother always was in charge of making the gravey and he just substituted corn meal for the flour and it always turns out great. Hope this helps.

mom2jpb--

Get your son tested!!! I've got a daughter that was diagnosed with autism 4 years ago. We found out a year and a half ago it was a combination of gluten, metal poisoning, severe intestinal yeast infections, and a couple of other things...she's developing hypoglycemia now :blink: Now that we've been treating her and giving her a gluten-free diet she's smiling alot more, talking some now, cuddling, making eye contact...We've got our baby back. :D She's 5.5 now.

wifeandmomofceliac Newbie

To agree with Ellen, get your son tested, or at least see if removing gluten from his diet has an effect. My daughter, though never diagnosed with autism, was "displaying autistic behaviors" from age 1 to 2. At age 2, my genius pediatrician said to get her off gluten. I thought he was nuts, but tried it anyway. We noticed a diference after only 3 days. And within a period of months, she was a whole different kid. This is not to say gluten free will "cure" autism, but it can't hurt it either.

Everyone--

Butterball is safe, as well as the others listed earlier. I do not use the enclosed seasoning packets or basting packets in any of the birds I buy...chicken or turkey. And don't get pre-stuffed ones. That's definately a gluten no-no. If you have a home recipie for stuffing you can easily make your own with gluten-free breads or bread crumbs. I recommend using Glutano's Corn Bread...it's in the frozen section of the health food store locally. It is not old fashioned corn bread...it is sandwich bread made with a corn base. It toasts better than the others and is easier to make into crumbs after toasting for stuffing.

I've tried Maxwell's Kitchen gluten-free Turkey Gravey. It's not bad, but I like homemade again. My brother always was in charge of making the gravey and he just substituted corn meal for the flour and it always turns out great. Hope this helps.

mom2jpb--

Get your son tested!!! I've got a daughter that was diagnosed with autism 4 years ago. We found out a year and a half ago it was a combination of gluten, metal poisoning, severe intestinal yeast infections, and a couple of other things...she's developing hypoglycemia now :blink: Now that we've been treating her and giving her a gluten-free diet she's smiling alot more, talking some now, cuddling, making eye contact...We've got our baby back. :D She's 5.5 now.

mom2jpb Newbie
To agree with Ellen, get your son tested, or at least see if removing gluten from his diet has an effect. My daughter, though never diagnosed with autism, was "displaying autistic behaviors" from age 1 to 2. At age 2, my genius pediatrician said to get her off gluten. I thought he was nuts, but tried it anyway. We noticed a diference after only 3 days. And within a period of months, she was a whole different kid. This is not to say gluten free will "cure" autism, but it can't hurt it either.

I am in the midst of a battle for sole custody and will have him tested as soon as I have sole, legal custody. He eats Gluten-free Casein-free when he is with me, and he doesn't mind in the least. In fact, he prefers Tings to Cheetos. He is also asthmatic and severely allergic to penicillin and sulfa.

Archived