6 replies to this topic

#1 carl

carl

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 November 2006 - 04:21 PM

Does anyone have a list of drugs containing gluten? I know many do.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 lovegrov

lovegrov

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,537 posts

Posted 15 November 2006 - 07:56 PM

"Does anyone have a list of drugs containing gluten? I know many do."

In fact, virtually all medications do NOT have gluten. I can't name a single one that definitely does.

Many companies will say they don't "add" gluten but they can't guarantee what their suppliers send. This is just a CYA statement and means the medication is gluten-free. Also. look at glutenfreedrugs.com

richard

#3 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,939 posts

Posted 16 November 2006 - 05:31 AM

Hi Carl, welcome to the board :)

I find that glutenfreedrugs.com gets outdated quickly. What I do is call the manufacturer on any drug (Rx or over the counter) and check with them.

On OTC products, the phone number is right on the packaging. For Rx drugs, you can ask the pharmacist--they may not know the gluten-free status, but they can give you the name and number of the company.

As with anything pertaining to gluten-free status, lists can become outdated--it's best to check any product you are not absolutely sure about.
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

#4 zansu

zansu

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 16 November 2006 - 11:46 AM

well, I know painfully for a fact that prilosec OTC has gluten.

I also had some trouble with generics. And Walgreens mailorder just doesn't get it. I had to slowly and distinctly say to a manager "You poisoned me" :angry: before I even got their attention.

on a brighter note, Mucinex says right on their web page that they're gluten free. I sent them an email just to say thanks!

#5 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,802 posts

Posted 16 November 2006 - 11:51 AM

well, I know painfully for a fact that prilosec OTC has gluten.

I also had some trouble with generics. And Walgreens mailorder just doesn't get it. I had to slowly and distinctly say to a manager "You poisoned me" :angry: before I even got their attention.

on a brighter note, Mucinex says right on their web page that they're gluten free. I sent them an email just to say thanks!

"I know painfully for a fact that prilosec OTC has gluten". Respectfully asking, what is the FACT that you say it contains gluten.

I take it daily.
Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

#6 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,802 posts

Posted 16 November 2006 - 12:13 PM

Zansu:

If you do a seach on Proctor and Gamble web site, it clearly states that Prilosec OTC DOES NOT CONTAIN GLUTEN. (you must have gotten bit by something else. B) )
Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

#7 PharmDWannaB

PharmDWannaB

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 March 2008 - 07:10 PM

Does anyone have a list of drugs containing gluten? I know many do.

While I can't really clarify on OTC medications. When it comes to hospital products, I can say that if in the hospital, do NOT allow them to give you Potassium Chloride. It contains gluten and will cause rather painful reactions such as burning veins, swelling of the area where the needle is, severe itching that will not go away.

My brother in law was recently in the hospital and they gave him an IV of Potassium Chloride. My brother recalled me telling him of some IV drugs that he should warn him about, and unfortunately didn't want to call me to check as it was late. (Now they know to call me whenever)

Long story short - my brother in law had the burning, a swollen hand, itching for days. Many IV products do use gluten as a "filler". I'm not at work so I cant compile the complete list of IV products, but I will definitely pull it tomorrow and post.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: