#1 Jan Melton

Jan Melton

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 November 2006 - 02:35 PM

Dear Friends,

I am new here and hoping someone might help me with a question I have.

Is intolerance to vegetables and fruits also part of Celiac Disease? My horrible symptoms still come if I eat fruits and vegetables (and gluten, of course). So not only do I skip the bread and pasta, I have to skip the veggies, salads, etc. I'm just wondering if anyone else has had the same experience?

I'm very much enjoying the entire forum messages and so glad I discovered this place.

Thanks for any help!

Jan Melton
Memphis, TN

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 CarlaB

CarlaB

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,049 posts

Posted 16 November 2006 - 02:41 PM

Welcome, Jan.

No, intolerance to fruits and veggies are not part of celiac. As you are healing, maybe you're just sensitive to raw or lightly cooked veggies. I have to cook mine until they're soft right now. And salads don't agree with me either. Maybe you could try soft fruits (peaches, bananas), and cooked veggies and see how you do.
gluten-free 12/05

diagnosed with Lyme Disease 12/06

#3 AndreaB

AndreaB

November 2008

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,978 posts

Posted 16 November 2006 - 02:51 PM

Maybe you could try something like peeled apples and pears and see how you do.

You may need to go down to a very basic diet for 3 weeks and then start adding in one food a week to see how you do.

Are you sure there isn't any hidden gluten? Have you checked personal care products, etc. Is your household gluten free?

Andrea

Enterolab positive results only June 06:
Me HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201; HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0301; Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,3 (subtype 2, 7)
Husband HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201; HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0302; Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,3 (subtype 2,8)

The whole family has been soy free since February, gluten free since June 2006.

The whole family went back to a gluten diet October 2011.  We never had official testing done and I decided to give gluten a go again.  At this point I've decided to work on making some gluten free things again, though healthwise everyone seems to be fine.  The decision to add gluten back in was also made based on other things I'd read about the 2nd sequence of genes.  It is my belief that we had a gluten intolerance, but thanks to things I've learned here, I know more what to keep an eye on.  If you have a confirmed case of celiac, please don't go back to gluten, it's a lifelong lifestyle change.

#4 mommida

mommida

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,961 posts

Posted 16 November 2006 - 03:37 PM

If your intestines are damaged, you are more likely to have a hard time eating food. My son would vomit carrots cooked or not every time. Two years gluten free and he can eat them no problems.
I would double check all personal products especially toothpaste and lipgloss.
L.
Michigan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: