This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Feeling Scared...

Stef-Ani

Stef-Ani Rookie

Hi everyone..

I was just diagnosed with celiac a a few days ago. I just wanted to know how you deal with it.. I went through my cupboards and i cant eat any of it! I know that I can look at cookbooks and stuff from this website.. What about Christmas? Is there such a thing as gluten free stuffing? I have no idea about any of this and it all seems really overwhelming.. any info you guys have for me would be great!

Thanks

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Lisa Mentor

Stef-Ani:

First, take a big deep breath and relax. We have all been in your shoes. It is very overwhelming in the beginning. You must have felt pretty bad to be tested for Celiac Disease. Now the good part. You can identify the reason and now it's time to learn how to feel better.

Don't pitch your pantry, until you know what is good for you and what is not. And when you do pitch, remember your local food pantry.

Start your diet with some plain foods such as chicken, steamed veggies, rice and potatos.

Nini, a valuable member of this board has a "beginners list" for newbies and that is great information to get started.

Check out Nini's list, under her name.

We are all here to help each other as many were here to help me in the beginning.

We are open to all questions and they will be freely answered.

Welcome, and I am glad that you have found us. :)

GFinVA Newbie

Stef - First of all, congratulations on getting a diagnosis! Now that you know what's making you ill you can meet it head on. I would recommend that you read as much as you can. The first book that I got after being diagnosed was "Against the Grain" by Jax Peters Lowell. It's a very easy read and really helps you put things into perspective.

I agree with what Momma Goose said - start with simple meals (ex: a meat, a vegetable and rice or potatoes.) Do you live in a state that has Wegman's or Whole Foods supermarkets? Both of those stores have a lot of gluten free options.

I have been gluten free for almost 4 years and i just recently found an awesome cookbook - "Wheat-Free, Gluten-Free Cookbook for Kids and Busy Adults." You know how a lot of cookbooks have very fancy recipes that are not practical for normal people to cook after they work all day? This one is exactly the opposite. Most recipes have very few ingredients and many take about 30 mins to make.

Best of luck with the new diet. Feel free to PM me anytime if you'd like to chat.

Alison

statedrone Newbie

Hi Stef-Ani

And welcome to our little corner of paradise. I too was recently diagnosed (August of this year). I have a sister who was diagnosed last year, and I thought I had a handle on it, but I have to say I was very overwhelmed. It will be okay. As everyone else has said take a deep breath and relax it will get better.

As so many others have said start with the basics. When I first found out I went through my cupboards (with a list) of what I could and could not eat, and started to pack it away. I gave my items to a food pantry and family.

Rice is your friend. As is chicken/beef/pork/seafood, and vegetables. There are actually tons of things you can eat, just not anything with gluten. A basic meal for me and my husband is boneless/skinless chicken breast fried, baked, stir fried, or any way you like it. I usually will then have mashed potatoes, rice, sweet potatoes, or corn. Then I make a ton of fresh vegetables.

When you look at the recipes you think to yourself how am I ever going to get the hang of this? But you do, slowly at first.

*An easy recipe to build up your confidence:

Peanut Butter Cookies:

Pre heat oven to 350

1 egg

1 cup peanut butter

1 cup sugar

Mix together above ingredients; form into balls onto a cookie sheet smooch down with a fork, put in oven for 10 minutes and "bam" your first gluten free dessert.

*This is how my sister started me out. Baby steps.

Last night I made pizza, and I have to say it was the BEST pizza I have ever had. I even cried as I was eating (I have been craving it now for 4 months). I was so scared I was going to screw it up that I called my sister. She asked what was the worst that could happen? It could taste bad. If so, throw it out and start anew.

I am sort of a control freak so learning to "control" Celiac and not have it control me has been my biggest battle. But I am adjusting, as you will.

Hang in there and ask questions, no question is dumb. Check out the internet and start reading some of the sites. Also go to the library and check out some books, even the small town library where I live had 6 books on Celiac.

Once again welcome.

Guest nini

welcome! I'm here so you don't have to go searching for me... for the newbie survival kit simply click on the link in my signature below, then scroll to the bottom of the page for the direct link to download the newbie survival kit. Good luck and let me know if you have any troubles opening the files.

when I was first dx'ed I spent hours CRYING in the grocery store because everything I picked up (that I was used to eating) had gluten in it, no wonder I was so ill... It's ok to be a little overwhelmed, but no need to be scared. You can do this, one step at a time. Start with meals that are NATURALLY gluten free (you will find a list of those in the newbie kit) and then graduate to mainstream products that are verified safe (still always read labels because ingredients DO change from time to time)

If you have a Wal Mart near you, their Great Value brand products are clearly labeled gluten free if they are (usually by the ingredient statement somewhere) so you can feel safe with some of their lunchmeats, cheeses, bacon, ketchup, etc... again, just look for the gluten-free statement on the backside of the label by the ingredients

I've recently discovered that EnerG's LIGHT Tapioca bread (when warmed slightly in the microwave for about 20 seconds) makes a perfect sandwich and tastes the closest to white bread that I have yet to discover) EnerG has a reputation for some of their foods tasting like cardboard, but they've recently reformulated a LOT of their products and now have some really great tasting items.

again, welcome, don't be afraid, be glad you found out what is wrong and you can do something about it.

bluejeangirl Contributor
welcome! I'm here so you don't have to go searching for me... for the newbie survival kit simply click on the link in my signature below, then scroll to the bottom of the page for the direct link to download the newbie survival kit. Good luck and let me know if you have any troubles opening the files.

when I was first dx'ed I spent hours CRYING in the grocery store because everything I picked up (that I was used to eating) had gluten in it, no wonder I was so ill... It's ok to be a little overwhelmed, but no need to be scared. You can do this, one step at a time. Start with meals that are NATURALLY gluten free (you will find a list of those in the newbie kit) and then graduate to mainstream products that are verified safe (still always read labels because ingredients DO change from time to time)

If you have a Wal Mart near you, their Great Value brand products are clearly labeled gluten free if they are (usually by the ingredient statement somewhere) so you can feel safe with some of their lunchmeats, cheeses, bacon, ketchup, etc... again, just look for the gluten-free statement on the backside of the label by the ingredients

I've recently discovered that EnerG's LIGHT Tapioca bread (when warmed slightly in the microwave for about 20 seconds) makes a perfect sandwich and tastes the closest to white bread that I have yet to discover) EnerG has a reputation for some of their foods tasting like cardboard, but they've recently reformulated a LOT of their products and now have some really great tasting items.

again, welcome, don't be afraid, be glad you found out what is wrong and you can do something about it.

Nini, Would this be a good bread to make stuffing with? I'm still wondering what bread to use since this is my first gluten free thanksgiving. I'm thinking the most ricey type breads would turn out sticky. Not good.

Gail

kbtoyssni Contributor

Welcome! Things will be tough for a while, but it gets easier. Now I eat everything I used to eat pre-gluten-free, I just have to watch the brands I buy and make some substitutions for things like bread and pasta. It is a lot of work in the beginning to figure out the safe brands, but in a few months you'll be a pro. I don't spend any extra time grocery shopping now than I did before. Check out Nini's beginners kit - it will have lists of safe brands.

And Christmas can easily be made gluten-free. Turkey and ham are natually gluten-free (just check that there's not broth added to the turkey), you can make you veggies without gluten-toppings, stuffing can be made with any gluten-free bread. The only thing I have had to alter the recipe for in my Thanksgiving and Christmas meal is the stuffing.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Guest nini
Nini, Would this be a good bread to make stuffing with? I'm still wondering what bread to use since this is my first gluten free thanksgiving. I'm thinking the most ricey type breads would turn out sticky. Not good.

Gail

I make a cornbread stuffing with The Gluten Free Pantry's Yankee cornbread mix OR Whole Foods gluten-free bake house gluten-free corn bread, and for the regular bread I use either energ or kinnikinick

tarnalberry Community Regular
Hi everyone..

I was just diagnosed with celiac a a few days ago. I just wanted to know how you deal with it.. I went through my cupboards and i cant eat any of it! I know that I can look at cookbooks and stuff from this website.. What about Christmas? Is there such a thing as gluten free stuffing? I have no idea about any of this and it all seems really overwhelming.. any info you guys have for me would be great!

Thanks

Welcome!

I know it seems overwhelming at first - it's such a huge change. You're giving up a life long habit, in spite of everyone around you not doing so. It's hard, and there will be difficulties, and challenges, and grieving, but you can do it, and be healthier and happier for it.

You may well have to throw out a lot of stuff from your cupboard; many of us did the same. There are lots of recipes here, on other recipe sites, and in lots of cookbooks out there - not to mention lots and lots of *naturally* gluten free recipes (provided you use easy to find gluten free ingredients).

All of the holiday foods are easily handled by using gluten free substitutions. I use brown and wild rice to make a stuffing that everyone in my family *loves*.

Keep reading and learning, and take one day at a time. It will come, but there's a lot of learning to do.

SchnauzerMom Rookie

It can be overwhelming at first. You just need to educate yourself as much as possible. There are lots of receipes on the internet. You can also substitute gluten free ingredients in the receipes you already use. We are very fond of bread and baked goods at my house. So far I've made chocolate chip cookies, chocolate cake, bread, scones, muffins, pancakes, pizza. For Thanksgiving I'm going to make a pecan pie and the dressing (the dressing out of cornbread).

Stef-Ani Rookie

Thanks everyone for all the advice and for just making me feel better! It's so nice to realize that i'm not alone.. My family doesn't seem to really understand how frusterating it can be to have this problem. I went and got some kinnikinnick bread mix and some wheat-free waffles today. It made me feel so much better... looking forward to trying them.

I'm checking out the newbie survival kit from nini right now too... awesome stuff.. thanks so much! :D

Mayster Newbie

:(

I have Celiacs but to make things a little more complicated, I'm allergic to Chicken, Eggs and yes, Green Beans. Random I know, but that's what the allergist tells me. Now, I didn't ask if being allergic to Chicken means allergic to Turkey... My Mother-In-Law just called me and said- So about Thanksgiving... What CAN you eat? It made me feel like a freak because all of a sudden a family get together was made to be all about what I can or can't eat! What do you guys suggest that's yummy and free of the things I'm allergic to? ;)

Guest nini

can you have ham? Most plain hams are gluten free, you could roast it in the oven and glaze it with a brown sugar and honey glaze... can you have corn? Mashed potatoes? sweet potatoes?

I thought I was allergice to chicken and turkey until I discovered it was the antibiotics and hormones in commercial poultry that I'm allergic to. Now I eat all organic clean meats because I'm so allergic to antibiotics and hormones...

Jestgar Rising Star
....until I discovered it was the antibiotics and hormones in commercial poultry that I'm allergic to. Now I eat all organic clean meats....

It's funny how we have to be forced into eating the stuff that's not bad for us. What has the human race done to itself?

Mayster Newbie
can you have ham? Most plain hams are gluten free, you could roast it in the oven and glaze it with a brown sugar and honey glaze... can you have corn? Mashed potatoes? sweet potatoes?

I thought I was allergice to chicken and turkey until I discovered it was the antibiotics and hormones in commercial poultry that I'm allergic to. Now I eat all organic clean meats because I'm so allergic to antibiotics and hormones...

Yes I can have all the things you mentioned!!! Yay! :D

I'm still a little lactose intolerant as my villi were destroyed, but I seem to do ok with little bits of dairy.

That's an interesting point on the poultry! I hadn't thought of that!

Archived