11 replies to this topic

#1 Pegster

Pegster

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 17 August 2004 - 02:58 PM

I went into a restaurant every day last week and asked for a gluten free meal. I didn't explain what gluten free meant or even have to tell them the wheat allergy story. The waiters smiled and nodded and brought me delicious risotto, pasta, bread, salads, fish, or meat. For dessert I got lovely cakes decorated with fruit and custard or cream. I think I have found heaven. Actually it's called ITALY! Let's hope the food industry in the USA can get a clue, soon! I can't wait to go back. :D
PEGGY
Positive DH biopsy 4/19/04

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 celiac3270

celiac3270

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,263 posts

Posted 17 August 2004 - 03:47 PM

That's terrific! :D Can we look forward to this soon? I would think so. We've made such advances in awareness over the past years. Although this probably isn't a change that'll occur in the next year or two, I know I'll see the day when waiters and chefs immediately recognize celiac disease and know about the gluten-free diet.

#3 Alexolua

Alexolua

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 17 August 2004 - 05:54 PM

Wow, that totally rocks!

I don't think that's something that'll be happening soon, but once places here figure out there would be money to be made by doing that, they might. Uhh.. yeah, maybe that's a bit jaded view. =)

#4 celiac3270

celiac3270

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,263 posts

Posted 18 August 2004 - 03:42 AM

I don't think that's something that'll be happening soon, but once places here figure out there would be money to be made by doing that, they might. Uhh.. yeah, maybe that's a bit jaded view. =)

But very true -- we're finding that more and more people have celiac disease. If 1/200 have special dietary needs, restaurants are bound to be more accomodating. After all, these chain restaurant names we're throwing around on the board are getting a lot of business from celiacs, just because they can tell you that the meat isn't contaminated and the vegetables aren't covered in gluteny toppings. Celiacs provide good business and if they do it for the money or our health, they're doing it, so it doesn't really matter. Sorry for rambling.

#5 Alexolua

Alexolua

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 18 August 2004 - 12:40 PM

That seemed well thought out for rambling, so nothing to be sorry for. =)

I agree too.

#6 hthorvald

hthorvald

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 18 August 2004 - 02:34 PM

I was just diagnosed in May and have the most trouble with eating out. Even if the wait person seems to understand my needs, communicating it to the chef is entirely different. And, if the meal is gluten free, how do you know it was prepared without cross contamination?
Helen Kendrick
Gluten free since 5/03/04

#7 celiac3270

celiac3270

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,263 posts

Posted 18 August 2004 - 02:39 PM

You don't.........now you could always ask to see the area where they cook it, or something, but this is all about trust. And properly explaining how careful they have to be and how important it is.

Thank you, Alexoula..... :)

#8 flagbabyds

flagbabyds

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,345 posts

Posted 18 August 2004 - 03:05 PM

a lot of waiters bring the chef out and then you can directly talk to the chef about how things are prepared and I do that al the tiem, if the waiter doesn't suggest it then just ask to talk to the chef
Molly

#9 coin-op

coin-op

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 12 September 2004 - 12:14 AM

you are taking huge risks eating out at any restaurant, whether they do 'gluten free' or not. If you can't watch them make it, you shouldn't be eating it.
I've been there, done that... sooner or later you will get burned, so to speak.

#10 Pam

Pam

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 13 September 2004 - 06:32 PM

I actually went to Quizno's subs recently. I asked the girl taking my order if the chicken on the salad had any gluten or wheat products in it. She looked at me kind of funny and said she didn't think so. She then proceeded to the back to get the box of frozen chicken and had me come back in the kitchen area with her. She let me look at the label on the box. It had wheat starch and chicken broth in it. I explained that I couldn't have that and she was super nice about it. She was very helpful!

#11 jendenise

jendenise

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 16 September 2004 - 03:57 PM

I recently went to Coldstone (Ice cream shop) I asked if their hot fudge was gluten free and although the girl behinf the counter didn't know she let me take a look at the can to check and she also notified the shift manager who told me which ice creams were no-no's. Also Baskin Robbins lists "gluten free" and/or "wheat free" on their flavor labels. I recently went to the Cheesecake Factory and the Waitress as well as the cook were knowledgeable about celiac disease, and even made a special gluten free meal for me with my own delicioud gluten-free sauce!

#12 hthorvald

hthorvald

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 16 September 2004 - 04:43 PM

So, most of Coldstone's ice creams are gluten free? I've only been there once and had their sweet cream ice cream with bananas. I think it was safe, but not sure. The flu was going around that week and I think I had a touch of it, but I must admit, I haven't been back just in case.

Also, which Cheesecake Factory was that? It's good to know that more folks are being educated. I agree that you have to be super careful, but I can't fold up my tent and just stay home.
Helen Kendrick
Gluten free since 5/03/04

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: