This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Gluten Free Restaurants In Nyc?

angel42

angel42 Enthusiast

Hi,

It seems like everyone I know wants to go out to eat all the time. Does anyone know gluten free places in nyc?

Thanks!!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

pinky Apprentice

i live in nyc and eat out all the time.

these places have special gluten-free menus available:

risotteria (village), peter's diner (upper east), sambuca (upper west), bistango (murray hill), puff and pao (village), and there are a lot more on these pages, if you look around...

most restaurants i have been to are really accommodating too if i explain the issue. i especially like josie's (they use wheat-free soy sauce, so we can have their stir fries, yummmmm).

there are also generally safe choices-- like ordering steamed food at a chinese restaurant and byo wheat-free soy sauce, going out for sushi (rice, edamame, raw fish-- all fine, just nothing marinated or with crab (which is usually fake and made with wheat) or with roe (which they put wheat into also))...

angel42 Enthusiast

Thanks so much! I have to say that one thing I miss more than anything is pasta. Do you know a good gluten free pasta place?

i live in nyc and eat out all the time.

these places have special gluten-free menus available:

risotteria (village), peter's diner (upper east), sambuca (upper west), bistango (murray hill), puff and pao (village), and there are a lot more on these pages, if you look around...

most restaurants i have been to are really accommodating too if i explain the issue. i especially like josie's (they use wheat-free soy sauce, so we can have their stir fries, yummmmm).

there are also generally safe choices-- like ordering steamed food at a chinese restaurant and byo wheat-free soy sauce, going out for sushi (rice, edamame, raw fish-- all fine, just nothing marinated or with crab (which is usually fake and made with wheat) or with roe (which they put wheat into also))...

pinky Apprentice

i haven't been there, but sambuca has pasta. it's on 72nd btwn cpw and columbus. did u just move here? coming to visit? just get diagnosed?

angel42 Enthusiast
i haven't been there, but sambuca has pasta. it's on 72nd btwn cpw and columbus. did u just move here? coming to visit? just get diagnosed?

I am from New York. :) I work in Manhattan. I just got diagnosed. There was this pasta place that I absolutely loved that I so miss called Don Giovanni's in the 40's by 8th ave. I used to go there all the time but never understood why I would get so sick. So I am looking for a new Don Giovanni's that I can actually eat.

Creative-Soul Newbie

Risotteria also has pasta specials every Tuesday...HUGE bowls that you can share.

Here's a link to some other restaurants where you can eat Gluten-Free... Open Original Shared Link

Hope this helps!!!

jkmunchkin Rising Star

Risotteria has amazing gluten free pizza, breadsticks, etc.

Lumi is one of my favorite restaurants with a gluten free menu. I recently went to Bistango for the 1st time which is also great.

Since you mentioned the place on 40th & 8th; there is a place on 44th b/t 6th & Broadway called Osteria al Doge. They don't have a gluten free menu, nor do they necessarily know so much about celiac. But there menu is very adaptable for us, and they have an incredible risotto.

Check out these websites, restaurants galore!

Open Original Shared Link

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

mookie03 Contributor
Risotteria has amazing gluten free pizza, breadsticks, etc.

Lumi is one of my favorite restaurants with a gluten free menu. I recently went to Bistango for the 1st time which is also great.

Since you mentioned the place on 40th & 8th; there is a place on 44th b/t 6th & Broadway called Osteria al Doge. They don't have a gluten free menu, nor do they necessarily know so much about celiac. But there menu is very adaptable for us, and they have an incredible risotto.

Check out these websites, restaurants galore!

I second Lumi-- excellent gluten-free pasta!!! I also like Rice, they have a gluten free menu as well. And of course risotteria-- they have their pasta on tuesdays, which is great

Sambuca is good too but i havent tried their pasta

Good luck!

• 3 weeks later...
ElovesFC Rookie

my Family and I are going to see the Tree at the Rockefeller Center. Which Gluten-free Restaurant is the closest to The Rockefeller Center, It would be great if it was walking distance.

Thanks

Erica

jenvan Collaborator

There are a TON! E-mail me if you want--I have a list I have compiled with a summary, address etc on each I knew of -- I went in May. Its a couple of pages and I 'rvwd' the ones I visited. So many excellent options there!!

TinkerbellSwt Collaborator

I think I need to move to NYC.. I would be in heaven. dont get me wrong..Outback and Carrabas are good.. but there is only sooo many times you can go there before you dont wanna anymore

angel42 Enthusiast
I think I need to move to NYC.. I would be in heaven. dont get me wrong..Outback and Carrabas are good.. but there is only sooo many times you can go there before you dont wanna anymore

My husband loves the outback but we haven't been since I was diagnosed around 2 months ago. What is on the gluten free menu?

Creative-Soul Newbie
There are a TON! E-mail me if you want--I have a list I have compiled with a summary, address etc on each I knew of -- I went in May. Its a couple of pages and I 'rvwd' the ones I visited. So many excellent options there!!

I'd love to have that list as well! I'm curious as to the reviews you made as well; always on the lookout for safe places :D

kristend Rookie

so far i've only had pasta at Bistango in NYC and I have not been dissapointed - I love it!

Archived