This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Whole Family Has Celiac?

grace-inspired

grace-inspired Rookie

Hi all. I am new to this site--but not new to the thought that my family suffers from glutin intolerance. Is it crazy to think that all four of us have this?!? Here are the major symptoms:

Husband: 28 years old, has had acute idiopathic pancreatitis at least 6 times, has ALWAYS had bowel issues(loose stools, frequent trips to BR, lots of gas), family history of gallbladder issues and diabetes.

ME: 27, lifelong acute depression, progressive muscle issues(fibromyalgia), asthma, fatigue(my mom has IBS)

daughter : 7 years old chronic constipation since birth, severe reflux, dry skin issues, muliple chemical sensitivities

son: age 5 healthy little guy, but he seems to have his dads bathroom habits(goes several times a day--lots--has lots of gas)

I am thinking about having the bloodwork done on me and possibly my daughter--then the boys. I would like to try a gluten-free diet--but I'm at a loss for where to start because it seems overwhelming. We eat lots of bread:) crackers:) oatmeal, pasta....oh my, we are wheat addicts.

What do you think?

Any favorite sites w/ good recipes? We tried some gluten-free bread once and it ws so bad that we just didn't eat that day(we had taken it for lunch somewhere)...yuck.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

AndreaB Contributor

It is entirely possible. If you want an official dx you need to stay on gluten. The blood work can get thrown out of wack quite easily.

If you go gluten free and symptoms don't resolve you would need to look at other things. Usually gluten, then dairy and soy are the top problem foods.

Tinkyada makes wonderful pasta so you won't miss pasta at all. Breads....varies a lot depending on taste. You need to try different brands and see what you like. Sounds like the package mixes are the best for a lot of people. My family likes enjoy life and food for life premade bread if I don't make my own. You may still be ok with gluten free oats. I think you can order them online and some health food stores and gluten free stores will carry the gluten free oats as well.

If your daughters symptoms don't clear going gluten, dairy and soy free (if necessary), then please jump in over at the OMG I Might Be On To Something thread. You don't need to read the whole 600 odd pages, just jump in. That thread has developed into a thread with people that haven't had their issues resolved just by going gluten, soy, dairy free.

Nantzie Collaborator

It's totally possible. My two kids and I are gluten intolerant, and my husband and half of his family all have symptoms, but nobody wants to go gluten-free.

This board is the best resource around. I learned everything I know here. I read the archives, asked questions, etc.

My favorite gluten-free thing in the whole world is Pamela's Amazing Wheat Free Bread Mix. Pamela's Baking and Pancake Mix makes great pancakes and there's also a good recipe for Choc chip cookies on the back.

For me, GAS was my most embarassing symptom, and the reason I ended up finding out about gluten and celiac, which I had never heard of in my life. I did a websearch, just trying to find something that could help me with that. I expected to find supplements or something. Instead I found celiac and my life has been different ever since that day.

I'm glad you found us here. Welcome to the boards!

Nancy

sparkles Contributor

I used to think that it was important to have an "official" dx but after reading some of the horror stories about insurance, I am thinking that going gluten-free without a dx might be the best route to take. Of course, the medical community, your friends and family will probably think you are nuts but if being gluten-free makes everyone feel better than it is worth the aggravation.. One more thing, since celiac disease is a genetic disorder, of course, the WHOLE family can have it. Besides, if the whole family has it or some kind of gluten intolerance having gluten in the house for one person won't be an issue!!!!!

grace-inspired Rookie

Well thank you, everyone...I do think it would be logical to try the diet w/out the bloodwork first. Our family and friend already think we are crazy because we "eat healthy" and my daughter has chemical sensitivities that make it difficult for us to go certain places("but she looks fine to me...") :angry:

I'm happy to hear about gluten free oats--I hadn't heard of them before...

We do all of our baking from scratch....so I'm going to have to start experimenting:) I think we will stay on gluten until I find some bread/muffin/pancake/noodles that we all like so it won't be such a hard transition.

As far as dairy goes....we have dairy goats and a jersey cow. The goat milk is AWESOME! In fact, I thin we all felt a bit better when we were drinking it...but they are all dry right now. The cows milk was great, but myelf and my dd didn't tolerate it as well:( Boy was it creamy!

Thanks all! And I suggest giving raw goats milk a try for the dairy-free folks....

GFBetsy Rookie
I'm happy to hear about gluten free oats--I hadn't heard of them before...

We do all of our baking from scratch....so I'm going to have to start experimenting:) I think we will stay on gluten until I find some bread/muffin/pancake/noodles that we all like so it won't be such a hard transition.

Try the recipes from www.eatingglutenfree.com. The basic muffins and pancake and waffle recipes are especially good.

Archived