Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Cooking

3 posts in this topic

Is it possible to get sick from just cooking?

Two nights ago i noticed almost right after making my family a meatloaf...And putting a pie that was in the refrigerator in containers, that my stomach started killing. To where I had to go lay down. I hadnt eaten anything, and thought I was very careful, washing hands, and counters.

Then again last night, same thing happened. I made my grands grilled chesse, and I felt like dieing before the last one came off the grill.

This diet is driving me nuts as it is. And if I cant even cook with gluten, Ill be more nuts.

Could I be even more sensitive now that Im gluten free?

Ads by Google:

You're definitely more sensitive now that you're gluten-free. Additionally, some can get sick from simply inhaling gluten. Making the foods, perhaps you were inhaling something--like a flour or something.

Also you can't wash everything off your hands, maybe if you had gluten on your hands then you wiped your nose or touched your face, there's the gluten!!! when i inhale gluten i get sick, just don't cook with it, make your family cook with the gluten.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Topics

• Depression / anxiety issues
      Pretty sure that's what I had for a while, adrenal fatigue.  I started getting some selenium in my diet to fix it.  It made a big difference.  Brazil nuts are great for selenium, just don't overdo them because selenium isn't eliminated quickly.  It can build up to toxic levels if overdone.
      I definitely had more energy, I was virtually bedridden beforehand, but it also felt like something of a serotonin boost, and, bizarre as it sounds, my senses seemed heightened. I felt great and I didn't know why. 
      i am wondering if those who get that initial "rush" of a day or twos relief of symptoms are "flying" on adrenaline?  wonder about adrenal fatigue?  not sure that is considered a real thing in western medicine... just a thought.  and you return of sym suggest a glutening.  Anything new in the diet?  even a new package of an already  checked product?  soap and shampoo need to be checked, or used very carefully.  is wife still eating gluten?  if so make sure sh is not bringing it to you.  kisses are nice, but make sure she brushes first, lol skipping products that are "made in shared buildings"  for at least a while. take the B12 on an empty stomache
      Excellent. The chances are your body won't absorb some of this however so get as many good B sources in your diet as possible in addition. Get some sunshine as well, I know it does rain sometimes in Melbourne but believe me on that score you do a lot better than the poms.   Try and note these positive things, it's so easy when you're down to forget them. There will be more to come. Imagine yourself climbing a mountain. There are points at which you have to travel laterally or even down in order to follow the right path but your overall trajectory is upwards. You're actually lucky to have found it now at 28 with so much time ahead for healing and enjoying the fruits of it.  For me the gluten reaction is the initial cause of the depression but once that's removed it doesn't automatically lift like magic. Whilst the brain fog lifted soon on gluten-free diet, (there was a physical perceptible feeling in my head whilst I had that, a kind of thickness sort of like wearing a diving mask all the time that distances you from the world), the longer term depression isn't so easily shifted. I think this is because there are negative pathways that have been reinforced over many years. That's what living in a constant state of anxiety can do. It wrecks your self esteem which isn't magically repaired as your diet changes, sadly! As my physical symptoms lifted but I still felt depression, if on a different level, I realised I'd have to heal my mind as well as my gut. So I'm currently seeing a counsellor and it is helping. Not there yet though Yes I also get this and the mental side for me is also by far the worst side of it. I used to think I may die every time I got the chest pains but that wasn't as bad as feeling like shit 24/7 or having to fake a good time when feeling awful inside.  The single best thing about realising my gluten problem was that it explained that the underlying cause of that depression and anxiety was physical, not a defect of character, just some bad luck in the makeup of my gut and immune system. Hope that knowledge helps you also, when the anxiety strikes recognise it for what it is. A misdirected fight or flight response to an internal attack on your body.  Have a look at some cognitive behavioural therapy techniqes for challenging negative thoughts, that may be helpful? CBT has a very good success rate here in UK, better than anti depressants or talking therapy I think and it focuses on the practical,.  As you realise there's a load of bulls**t in society about how we view and discuss mental health. Don't buy into it. A lot of 'strong' people out there are simply bottling up their suffering through misguided pride. If people stigmatise you they're doing you the favour of letting you know they're not worth bothering with.  I got a lot of support on here when I was in your position and I'm sure you will too. I wish you the best of luck and I'm sure you'll be seeing more improvements in the weeks and months to come.      
    • Celiac - How many symptoms can there be?
      As you doubtless know now, there are so many ways celiac can present, here's as big a list as I could find online. It would probably be quicker to list what isn't a factor For me personally, nausua, check, left sided back hip pain (my laymans theory here is that celiac is affecting the sciatic nerve which runs from lower back down leg) , check, chest pain also - but for me this comes in short bursts more I guess like heartburn - I thought I was having heart attacks... Check to the rest too... And, for what its worth, other things like being prone to bronchial infection oh hell yes.  I'm currently in the glutened / affected by something group myself so I can only share the advice I've been given. Start a food diary and see if you can track down anything diet related that may be affecting you. Eat as clean as you can, ease up on alcohol, just try and give yourself the best chance of recovery. Have a google of 'heal my gut' diet tips too, you're in the recovery phase at the moment. All the best, at least there's comfort in knowing you're not alone!   Matt  
  • Upcoming Events

• Blog Entries

• Recent Status Updates

• Jmg  »  admin

Hello Admin!
      I don't know whether this is of interest to post on your articles feed:
      http://pratt.duke.edu/about/news/window-guts-brain
      Kind Regards,
      Matt
      · 2 replies
    • celiac sharon  »  cyclinglady

Hello cycling lady, have you noticed my picture is showing up as you?  Have no idea why but it's rather disconcerting to see my picture and your words 😉  Do you know how to fix it?  You seem to have far more experience with this board than I do
      · 1 reply
    • Larry Gessner  »  cyclinglady

Hi There, I don't know if there is a place for videos in the forum. I just watched "The Truth About Gluten" I think it is a good video. I would like to share it somewhere but don't know where it should go. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
      Here is the link if you have never watched it.
      https://youtu.be/IU6jVEwpjnE Thank You,
      Larry
      · 2 replies
  • Who's Online (See full list)

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    Shuayl