This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

I Did A Dumb Thing

SchnauzerMom

SchnauzerMom Rookie

Yesterday I ate a piece of cake (not gluten free). Don't ask me why, it was just a dumb thing to do. At first I didn't notice any problems. I have heard that cake flour has less gluten than bread flour. Usually I get heartburn right away. Anyway, a couple of hours later the IBS kicked in, cramps and so forth. I'm still paying for it today. Stomach and intestines hurting. Never again, no, no, no. I am a believer.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Lisa Mentor

Sorry that you got sick.

Sometimes, when I am feeling well, I have to police myself because I seen to get a little laxed...

like telling myself that a product can not possible contain gluten, without reading the labels or making a call to verify.

It takes constant vigilance. <_<

Kaycee Collaborator

Sorry to hear you have done a dumb thing, just another learning curb.

I've done a dumb thing too.

I think it is a denial thing, and something we feel compelled to do at some stage, just to see what happens.

At times I have found myself plotting the gluten fest, but more often than not I do not do it. But the thought of it nags at me. It just about feels like an obsession or an addiction, even though I don't feel addicted to bread.

It is as somebody says we are forever in active damage control mode.

Hope you are feeling better soon.

Catherine

Catherine

SchnauzerMom Rookie
Sorry to hear you have done a dumb thing, just another learning curb.

I've done a dumb thing too.

I think it is a denial thing, and something we feel compelled to do at some stage, just to see what happens.

At times I have found myself plotting the gluten fest, but more often than not I do not do it. But the thought of it nags at me. It just about feels like an obsession or an addiction, even though I don't feel addicted to bread.

It is as somebody says we are forever in active damage control mode.

Hope you are feeling better soon.

Catherine

Catherine

It definitely was a denial thing. I starting thinking that maybe gluten wasn't my problem. Boy did I learn that it was my problem. Still have some stomach pain but it is calming down.

Amanda L Rookie

I've been gluten free for a week, and I already know that feeling! I just HAD to try something, and that was all she wrote.

If it helps any, I found a gluten free cake mix at Wild Oats (I can't remember the brand but am going back there for other things so I'll see what it is) that tastes just like regular chocolate cake. My kids couldn't even tell the difference.

nettiebeads Apprentice

I used to do that at the beginning when I first found out I had celiac. It gets better as you go along. Just hang in there.

jerseyangel Proficient

Don't be hard on yourself--use this as a learning experience and go on from here.

Shortly after I went gluten-free, I "experimented" with a snack sized bag of Famous Amos Cookies. They tasted like metal, and I was in the bathroom shortly thereafter. :ph34r: Never knowingly ate another drop of gluten since! ;)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

angel42 Enthusiast

I was recently diagnosed and I have slipped a few times esp since I was a HUGE baker before. We always had fresh baked something in the house. On the plus side my husband has already lost a noticable amount of weight since I stopped baking. :) Anyway, I quickly discovered that getting super sick after eating something tends to suck the fun out of the experience. I think we have all been there.

Don't be hard on yourself--use this as a learning experience and go on from here.

Shortly after I went gluten-free, I "experimented" with a snack sized bag of Famous Amos Cookies. They tasted like metal, and I was in the bathroom shortly thereafter. :ph34r: Never knowingly ate another drop of gluten since! ;)

SchnauzerMom Rookie

I've still got some problems but it is slowly clearing up. It definitely took the fun out of eating food with gluten.

Mayster Newbie

:blink:

OMG! I thought I was the only one that thinks about "Doing It". I was staring at a box of cookies last night that was my husband's thinking- to heck with it, I'm just going to eat some. But I closed the pantry door and ate an apple instead. Not nearly as good, but I'm actually scared to eat gluten because I don't know what will happen. I have thought about it though.

eleep Enthusiast

I think about this all the time these days since there are two artisanal bakeries which have recently opened up near me.....

oceangirl Collaborator
I think about this all the time these days since there are two artisanal bakeries which have recently opened up near me.....

I'm sorry for your pain! I just went out to dinner to the only place I'll go 2 nights ago and STILL don't know for sure what did it. (It's afriends' restaurant and they understand celiac and I ONLY have a beef brochette) But I woke in the middle of the night in the same agony I had for a year before diagnosis. Then when I got up I looked in the mirror at my solid bright red eyes and felt my palate swollen and in pain as well and just thought, "Glutened FOR SURE!" I guess I got an unsolicited reminder of how bad a glutening can be. I still feel awful today and my mouth hurts something fierce. (Never mind the abdominal stuff!) Oh well, I am thankful to KNOW what makes me sick! I guess going out to eat isn't going to be something I do for a long while...

Hope you feel better and have a nice Thanksgiving day.

lisa

Archived