This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Hubby Finally Getting Help!

littlemonkeys

littlemonkeys Newbie

Hi there, this is my first post. My hubby has been diagnosed with IBS and panic attacks and mild agorophobia. Well, his panic attacks are trigered by his stomach problems, so after much procrastination, I convinced him to go to the new doc we have. Well, he was not much help-he did everything but the celiacs test-but his test came out being odd anyway, so they had him come back in. His potassium levels were high, his CO2 levels were low and his ALT and AST levels were boarderline high. So...instead of doing the dang test we wanted, they tested him for hepatitis of all things.

We finally convinced the doc to send him to a gastroenterologist. He was awsome! Yesterday was hubbys first visit and the doc was really nice and said he suspects celiacs as well-but he was also concerned about the possibility of Chrone's. So, he did an extensive blood test for about 8 different conditions/diseases, but we dont the results back for TWO weeks!! I hate waiting!

Besides the fact that my hubby has a huge number of the symptoms of celiacs, our daughter, who has been basically gluten free for the last month, has had huge improvments just in this short time. She is NOT completely gluten free-she still has the occasional bread product-but her chronic constapation is gone, she is off of laxatives, she has started babbling for the first time, she is extremely close to walking-she wouldnt do anything but crawl until the last two weeks-and she seems much less fussy. I dont know if I will have the heart to put her back on gluten to get her tested if her daddy comes back positive.

Anyway, I think I am well prepared if hubby does have it-we have already decided to all go gluten free if he does and I have already started trying gluten free products. Anyway, this is my little-long-intro! Thanks for reading!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kvogt Rookie

Your hubby might consider eliminating yeast for his IBS.

gf4life Enthusiast

Welcome littlemonkeys,

I am glad that your husband is getting the help he needs in finding out what is wrong with him. If he does have Celiac Disease, please try to find a pediatric GI for your daughter (or the same one your husband sees if he sees children). You don't want to keep her 100% gluten free before testing, but I know how hard it is to watch the little ones suffer. I have three kids and for the past two years have fought for my own diagnosis, and then for my kids. I couldn't get any doctor to test them before I was diagnosed, since we didn't have a "family history" of celiac disease and their symptoms are atypical. <_< I now know that most celiacs have atypical symptoms and have finally gotten them to see a wonderful ped.GI at our local children's hospital. He is wonderful and will not stop looking until he knows what is wrong with my kids. He want's a 100% yes or no diagnosis. Which is what I want. Too many of us are passed off as you probably don't have celiac disease. :unsure: Well I for one needed a definite answer. I couldn't even get the doctors to test me, they said I didn't have it just based on my symptoms. I wouldn't accept that and now I know for sure that I DO have it and am gluten free. I feel so much better now! I just recently had to do a gluten challenge for the biopsy, and I am also waiting for my results. I don't like playing the waiting game either. I'm doing it with my kids blood test results and with my biopsy results...

Good luck in a quick diagnosis for your hubby! :)

God bless,

Mariann

Archived