30 replies to this topic

#1 es2443

es2443

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 20 November 2006 - 07:50 AM

This morning I randomly woke up thinking about Rice Krispies and then I went online to look at the ingredients to see why I have not been eating them. I really don't see anything bad in them, however I am horrible at reading labels. Does anyone know if Rice Krispies are okay to eat? and if they aren't what the ingredient is that contains the gluten? Thanks

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 AmandaD

AmandaD

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 414 posts

Posted 20 November 2006 - 07:51 AM

Something about the malt is not okay. I have Celiac and was told not to eat them. They could also be cross-contaminated int he factory.
Amanda
Positive TTG 9/05
Positive endoscopy 9/05
Doing well with "Sprue"

#3 Michi8

Michi8

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 20 November 2006 - 07:56 AM

Rice Krispies contain malt, which I believe is derived from barley...so it's not safe. There are gluten free brands of rice crisps available.

Michelle

#4 Guest_nini_*

Guest_nini_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 November 2006 - 08:00 AM

barley malt :(

but yes Erewhon makes a great gluten-free rice crispy cereal it's even labeled gluten-free

#5 girlfromclare

girlfromclare

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 20 November 2006 - 08:16 AM

Hi guys, not to confuse things but I had the same issues and I rang Kellogs about it. They told me that the only cereals approved by the Celiac Association (I presume in the UK) were Rice Crispies and Coca Pops. Just thought Id mention it but Im not saying that they are correct - not contradicting the other people on the board, but thats what Kellogs told me.

Hope it doesnt just confuse you. Maybe Kellogs isnt the brand you get? Try ringing the manufacturer for their response.

Good luck.

Liz

#6 Michi8

Michi8

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 20 November 2006 - 08:23 AM

Hi guys, not to confuse things but I had the same issues and I rang Kellogs about it. They told me that the only cereals approved by the Celiac Association (I presume in the UK) were Rice Crispies and Coca Pops. Just thought Id mention it but Im not saying that they are correct - not contradicting the other people on the board, but thats what Kellogs told me.

Hope it doesnt just confuse you. Maybe Kellogs isnt the brand you get? Try ringing the manufacturer for their response.

Good luck.

Liz

Check out this notation from the Kellogg's UK website (it's from a page listing changes to their gluten free listings):

Please note that only the cereals listed above have been removed - although Kellogg Rice Krispies, Ricicles and Coco Pops contain malt flavouring they fall well within the international Codex Standard of 200ppm

All of those products contain malt, which has gluten. To my knowledge, the U.S. and Canada do not follow the Codex Standard and thus these cereals are not considered gluten free (or should that be "gluten safe?").

Michelle

#7 new to LI

new to LI

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 20 November 2006 - 06:30 PM

not only Erewhon but nature's path, enviro kids and barbara's make rice crispy's. Erewhon makes several types.

#8 debmidge

debmidge

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,566 posts

Posted 21 November 2006 - 03:01 AM

Let's make a distinction between the UK cereals and the USA made cereals.
This could be where the descrepancy lies. UK and USA formulas are not the same.

in USA most commercial cereals have malt (barley)
Husband has Celiac Disease and
Husband misdiagnosed for 27 yrs -
The misdiagnosis was: IBS or colitis
Mis-diagnosed from 1977 to 2003 by various gastros including one of the largest,
most prestigious medical groups in northern NJ which constantly advertises themselves as
being the "best." This GI told him it was "all in his head."
Serious Depressive state ensued
Finally Diagnosed with celiac disease in 2003
Other food sensitivities: almost all fruits, vegetables, spices, eggs, nuts, yeast, fried foods, roughage, soy.
Needs to gain back at least 25 lbs. of the 40 lbs pounds he lost - lost a great amout of body fat and muscle
Developed neuropathy in 2005
Now has lymphadema 2006
It is my opinion that his subsequent disorders could have been avoided had he been diagnosed sooner by any of the dozen or so doctors he saw between 1977 to 2003

#9 doulagrl

doulagrl

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 21 November 2006 - 03:03 AM

I just wanted to relate my personal experience with Rice Krispies. What led me to realize that I couldn't have gluten was the very strict diet I was on while I was breastfeeding after my son was born due to his severe colic. I only realized two years later that I had felt so great not because of the hormonal changes of breastfeeding but because of the strict diet I was on that had inadvertantly eliminated gluten. It was hit or miss and I eliminated anything from my diet that seemed to trigger my son's colic and eczema. I was eating Rice Krispies every day, some times twice a day with rice milk and never felt any ill effects from them. (This was while we were still living in the US). I haven't tried them again since realizing I can't have gluten because I saw they had malt extract in them and after having had some corn flakes which also had malt extract and being realy ill as a result I thought I better stay away, but after what Kellog's has said and what I remember from my previous experience I think I might give them a try. I am a lot more sensitive to gluten now than I was before part of which comes from being pregnant so I'll just have to see. Good luck. It would be nice to be able to walk down the aisle at the grocery store and just pick up something "normal" off the shelf to eat :)

Melody

#10 Michi8

Michi8

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 21 November 2006 - 07:59 AM

Let's make a distinction between the UK cereals and the USA made cereals.
This could be where the descrepancy lies. UK and USA formulas are not the same.

in USA most commercial cereals have malt (barley)

The UK cereals have malt too (note my earlier post). Kelloggs is saying that the gluten level from the malt falls below the Codex Standard 200ppm, so is considered "safe" for European celiacs to eat.

Michelle

#11 aikiducky

aikiducky

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,113 posts

Posted 24 November 2006 - 05:37 AM

Yes, the difference is not the formula Kelloggs uses in UK and US, but the official definition of what is an acceptable level of gluten to call a product gluten free.

Personally I wouldn't eat Rice krispies no matter what they say....

Pauliina
in Holland

#12 num1habsfan

num1habsfan

Prairie field, possibly the best picture I've taken!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,066 posts

Posted 24 November 2006 - 10:25 AM

There is oat flour in Rice Krispies in Canada last time i checked (and the extract)....why dont you just buy the ones from Kinnikinnick? they are pure rice and...yum :)

~ lisa ~

...Flames vs. Panthers, and Lifehouse, were best experiences OF MY LIFE!!...
...26 years old...
...Look in my forum profile for ways to read my public sports articles...

R.I.P. Uncle Gus (Sept. 21, 1971 - Oct. 2, 2004) ... R.I.P. Baba (Oct. 12, 1911 - Feb. 28, 2006) ... R.I.P. Uncle Lawrence (Aug. 7, 1943 - Jan. 4, 2009)

#13 nettiebeads

nettiebeads

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 820 posts

Posted 24 November 2006 - 10:45 AM

Check out this notation from the Kellogg's UK website (it's from a page listing changes to their gluten free listings):

Please note that only the cereals listed above have been removed - although Kellogg Rice Krispies, Ricicles and Coco Pops contain malt flavouring they fall well within the international Codex Standard of 200ppm

All of those products contain malt, which has gluten. To my knowledge, the U.S. and Canada do not follow the Codex Standard and thus these cereals are not considered gluten free (or should that be "gluten safe?").

Michelle

Ok, let me tell you my story - it's a little long but I hope to save people by relating my mistakes - I USED to eat cereals with malt - no ill effects I thought at the time. Then after years of this I noticed numbing in my face and when I would get out of bed it felt like I was walking on stumps. Peripheral neurapathy - scary as I'm not even 50 yet. And persistent brain fog - I had even forgotten how to run the software at work, the same program I had used for 5 Years!! So after I joined this forum I finally decided to really clean up my act and eliminated ALL gluten, and even remote cross-contaminations in my house. The numbess disappeared after several months, I have more brain activity and don't sleep away my weekends anymore. My conclusion is that while malt may be considered "safe" by some standards (and I'm not terribly sensitive to gluten in the overt ways) I believe that the effect is cumulative - like mercury in fish. My two cents, but I will never ever ingest malt knowingly again.
Annette
gluten-free since Oct 1996

#14 zachsmom

zachsmom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 26 November 2006 - 02:52 PM

See I bought the organic rice crispies ... thking they were fine and saw the malt .... and now they are eaten by my soon to be gluten free children.

God I just wish that regular foods would go gluten free .

BUT FRUITY PEBBLES ARE OKAY >... right... :unsure:

#15 nettiebeads

nettiebeads

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 820 posts

Posted 27 November 2006 - 04:51 AM

BUT FRUITY PEBBLES ARE OKAY >... right... :unsure:

I can't remember, but as always read all labels. I'm pretty darn sure they are, but I buy the malt-o-meal dyna-bites - much cheaper. But I do buy the coca pebbles when I want to take a dessert to a gathering. I use them to make Rice Krispy treats.
gluten-free since Oct 1996

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: