#17 nettiebeads

nettiebeads

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 820 posts

Posted 03 December 2006 - 04:15 AM

so the rice crisps arnt gluten-free i though only the treats arnt

Anything with the word MALT is bad for us, (unless the malt is from a safe source which is rare. It would be stated on the label ie: rice malt). If the word MALT is byitself, it is made from barley.
gluten-free since Oct 1996

#18 Ozwizard182

Ozwizard182

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 22 February 2010 - 06:43 PM

http://www.henryspin...iac_disease.htm

Gluten free food and substances

A comprehensive list of foods to avoid may be viewed on the internet at:
http://www.fastlane....odge/GFDIET.txt

Looking for gluten free products may not prove an easy task, it is recommended to read labels carefully. It is also advised to contact the manufacturers as gluten may represent such a tiny percentage that it may not appear on their ingredient list. Manufacturers also change the ingredients in their products from time to time.

Gluten is the protein in wheat, barley, rye, oats and their derivatives: malt, grain starches, hydrolysed vegetable/plant proteins, textured vegetable proteins, grain vinegar, grain alcohol, malt, modified food starch, caramel, maltodextrin, soy sauce, flavourings and the binders found in medication. Since the texture of gluten is elastic it also appears in many processed foods as well as in the gum substance on envelopes.

The gluten free list below may vary according to celiac organisations:
- Red and white meat (not bacon) - Lentils
- Fish - Sago
- Shellfish - Yam
- Vegetables - Corn
- Dried, canned or fresh fruits - Potatoes
- Juices (with no other ingredients) - Rice
- Fresh coffee - Flour (made from the above)
- Tea - Rice krispies
- Eggs - Plain crisps
- Soya - Nuts
- Rice - Oil (olive, walnut, sesame, soya,
- Potato sunflower, peanut, rapeseed, maize, cornflower)
- Corn - Pure spices
- Buckwheat - Herbs
- Chickpeas - Maize
- Lentils - Sugar
- Millet - Honey
- Peas - Jams or marmalade
- Beans - Yeast
- Quinoa - Almond
- Tapioca

#19 JustLovely9216

JustLovely9216

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 09:05 AM

I tried using some of the organic brands and didn't like them - not crispy enough. So I tried corn chex (dont know why I didnt try rice chex...) and they are honestly better than my regular rice crispies!

PS: I make them in the crockpot. Same ingred. just add the butter, top with marsh. and then add the cereal!

Way easier, supper yummy!

#20 heatherkirk123

heatherkirk123

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 09:36 PM

Ok so the malt flavoring when you see it in foods like rice krispie treats and things like that you should do more research before you believe it. I never listen to what other people have to say about foods because i have celiac disease to and i like eating a lot of different things. I go straight to the sites and read about them and if i cant find the info there i try to look for articles or things like that. Then i eventually listen to what other people are saying online if i cant find anything. Anyways you can eat rice krispie treats.. Here is a website you can check out if you dont believe me! :) Good luck.. And i hope from now on you follow my advice.
http://www.celiac.co...ease/Page1.html

#21 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,048 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 06:20 AM

Here is a website you can check out if you dont believe me! :) Good luck.. And i hope from now on you follow my advice.

Believe what you want, but that article is equivocal on the safety of barley malt for celiacs.

Incidentally, my suspicion is that there is not enough of the harmful peptides in Rice Krispies to cause harm to celiac patients, but for me it is only a suspicion in that I know of no experimental measurements or calculations in regard to the question and we still do not have a really solid indication of how little of the harmful proteins or peptides is OK for celiac patients on a daily basis.

His suspicion isn't enought for me, personally.
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#22 kareng

kareng

Be Royal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,124 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 09:12 AM

Believe what you want, but that article is equivocal on the safety of barley malt for celiacs.

His suspicion isn't enought for me, personally.

Me either. It isn't like there is nothing else to eat. I'll err on the side of caution & if it says barley and/ or malt, I won't eat it.

LTES

"We've waited 29 years for this and not even a Giant can stand in our way." - Mayor Sly James

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#23 Frances03

Frances03

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 268 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 09:28 AM

Anyways you can eat rice krispie treats.. Here is a website you can check out if you dont believe me! :) Good luck.. And i hope from now on you follow my advice.

HA!!! I dont think I'll follow your advice at all. Rice Krispies are NOT gluten free. There are other cereals that are, but this isn't one of them! And I'm talking about the United States so can't speak for elsewhere. Also Kellogg's doesn't really make ANY gluten free cereals, do they? So the cross contamination chances are probably pretty large! I mean they make frosted mini WHEATS, and all BRAN, and raisin BRAN!! I can just see the wheat flying around the plant! I hope someone takes the time to call them and find out what else they make in the same plant with the rice krispies, LOL, cuz I'm not going to waste my time. Rice Chex make GREAT treats and General Mills has it's own area to make their gluten free cereals.
41 year old homeschooling mom of 5
ttg iga 88, reference range 0-19 gliadin peptide antibody iga 105, reference range 0-31
endoscopy positive for celiac disease, hiatal hernia, major acid reflux damage

diagnosed with arthritis in my teens, thyroid disease in my 20's, epilepsy in my 20's, adult ADD in my 30's,
suffered from joint pain, migraines, seizures, 4 miscarriages, 2 years infertility, scalp rash, bloating, chronic constipation, acid reflux, weight gain, hashimoto's disease, enlarged thyroid, thyroid nodule, extreme fatigue, low vitamin D, anemia, mouth and nose sores
Started gluten-free diet 10/7/09! Never had another seizure after 10 years of epilepsy. TRUE STORY. 2 babies after going gluten-free

#24 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,744 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 12:32 PM

Ok so the malt flavoring when you see it in foods like rice krispie treats and things like that you should do more research before you believe it. I never listen to what other people have to say about foods because i have celiac disease to and i like eating a lot of different things. I go straight to the sites and read about them and if i cant find the info there i try to look for articles or things like that. Then i eventually listen to what other people are saying online if i cant find anything. Anyways you can eat rice krispie treats.. Here is a website you can check out if you dont believe me! :) Good luck.. And i hope from now on you follow my advice.

I wouldn't touch them. If you want to take the risk fine.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#25 elliepnz

elliepnz

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 September 2010 - 09:31 AM

Hi guys, not to confuse things but I had the same issues and I rang Kellogs about it. They told me that the only cereals approved by the Celiac Association (I presume in the UK) were Rice Crispies and Coca Pops. Just thought Id mention it but Im not saying that they are correct - not contradicting the other people on the board, but thats what Kellogs told me.

Hope it doesnt just confuse you. Maybe Kellogs isnt the brand you get? Try ringing the manufacturer for their response.

Good luck.

Liz

I called kelloges and they said there is malt in the rice krispies,they have no cearel that is gluren free

#26 Wheatfreedude

Wheatfreedude

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 10:28 AM

I wish I would have read this post before I ate RK treats this past Saturday night.

~Wheatfreedude~
(Now "Ricekrispyfreedude too) :angry:
Self taught body builder
Fitness fanatic
Avid Snowboarder and Surfer
Over 40 and single digit body fat
Getting stronger every week

#27 pghmamacita

pghmamacita

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 09 December 2010 - 07:19 PM

Ok, I am new to this with my son being diagnosed this year, but I like to read up on things that will make big changes in my life...and if you have celiac disease even a speck of gluten can cause problems. You may not feel anything physically, but inside it is going to cause complications. Do you people read up on a serious disease you were diagnosed with????? Seriously, trace amounts of gluten add up and I am sorry but I am not putting my child at risk by allowing him something that contains the word malt in it. They are not safe, and if you truly care about yourself and you have celiac disease you will read up on what it does to your body when you consume gluten.

Here is some great advice....when in doubt, do without!!!!

#28 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,048 posts

Posted 09 December 2010 - 08:34 PM

Ok, I am new to this with my son being diagnosed this year, but I like to read up on things that will make big changes in my life...and if you have celiac disease even a speck of gluten can cause problems. You may not feel anything physically, but inside it is going to cause complications. Do you people read up on a serious disease you were diagnosed with????? Seriously, trace amounts of gluten add up and I am sorry but I am not putting my child at risk by allowing him something that contains the word malt in it. They are not safe, and if you truly care about yourself and you have celiac disease you will read up on what it does to your body when you consume gluten.

Here is some great advice....when in doubt, do without!!!!

Long time followers of the diet know that it is not possible to be 100% gluten free in our world. Gluten is everywhere, and you will encounter some.

Even products from so-called gluten-free facilities are subject to contamination from outside sources. At best, and at a high cost, products can be tested for gluten at 5 ppm. Mainstream manufacturers do not test at all, and "gluten-free" facilities which do test can only test to a detection limit. Glutino test to 20 ppm. El Peto test to 5 ppm. In both cases, it is probably zero, but that cannot be proven.

Your body regenerates at a certain rate. The celiac game is to keep the inevitable gluten ingestion at a level that the body heals faster than damage occurs.

Even assuming the worst case for content, ppm is not the whole answer. If I eat one slice of bread that has 20 ppm, or four slices of bread that have 5 ppm, the total amount of gluten is exactly the same in both cases. A tiny medicine tablet with 200 ppm would be less than even one slice of 5 ppm bread.
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#29 dice401

dice401

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 07:07 AM

I realize this is an ages old post, but I just found this hot off the press:

Gluten Free Kellogs Rice Krispies

#30 LisaB

LisaB

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 08:26 PM

I realize that the previous posts were from about 6 years ago, but for anyone currently wondering about Rice Krispies, this might be helpful. Lol 6 years later things are FINALLY getting better.
http://www.gfoverflo... Cocoa Krispies

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: