#1 jesscarmel

jesscarmel

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 345 posts

Posted 21 November 2006 - 02:13 PM

hi
my dr told me to buy prilosec delayed release. does anyone have any experience taking this. thier website says the regular prilosec is gluten-free but does not say about the extende release ones.
thanks!!
Jess
Diagnosed in March 2006 after being in the hospital due to pancreatitis due to undiagnosed celiac
years of being told i had IBS, taking numerous IBS medications (since the age of fifteen)

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,799 posts

Posted 21 November 2006 - 02:24 PM

hi
my dr told me to buy prilosec delayed release. does anyone have any experience taking this. thier website says the regular prilosec is gluten-free but does not say about the extende release ones.
thanks!!
Jess

Jess:

I would think that it's a safe bet. Richard says that very few if not all meds do not contain gluten.

I take omeprazole (generic prilosec) without any problems.......it's a lifesaver for me. ;)
Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

#3 zansu

zansu

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 21 November 2006 - 03:40 PM

I was taking nexium, backed off to the lower dosage in Prilosec OTC (I had taken Prilosec when it was prescription). Prilosec OTC is a tablet, not a capsule, and lists some generic starch as an ingredient and I did react. It took several days and it was low grade, but when I went off the pills the reaction went away. Not sure exactly what prilosec formulation you're looking at. But if it's a tablet, I'd double check.

#4 Kris1

Kris1

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 April 2007 - 12:19 PM

I just got off the phone with Proctor and Gamble trying to find out if the starch in Prilosec OTC is wheat-derived. They were quite rude and told me that they had absolutely no way of finding out that information and weren't willing to pursue it for me. Any ideas on a next step? I'm just starting on a gluten free diet and am new at this. Thanks

#5 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,799 posts

Posted 25 April 2007 - 12:46 PM

I know that Omeprizole is gluten free - generic Prilosec. I don't think that you will have any problem with Prilosec, but I reserve on the side of caution to give you a confirmation. I have never had a problem.

Pepcid - the primary source of starch is corn derived, secondary starches may be rice or potatoe.
Pepsid R - Tablets
Pepsid R - Complete Tablets.

Gas X - all forms

Pepto - all forms
Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

#6 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,765 posts

Posted 25 April 2007 - 03:06 PM

I just got off the phone with Proctor and Gamble trying to find out if the starch in Prilosec OTC is wheat-derived. They were quite rude and told me that they had absolutely no way of finding out that information and weren't willing to pursue it for me. Any ideas on a next step? I'm just starting on a gluten free diet and am new at this. Thanks

Yea, Don't buy it, write a letter to the company complaining about this reps treatment of you and get some pepto bismal. The pink stuff and not some generic. After I was given ulcers by the prep for my upper and lower scope, (I had no ulcer symptoms before I did the prep and procedure) the doc sent me home that day with the Prilosec OTC. I instead took pepto once or twice a day if things hurt and haven't needed anything since day 4 post procedure.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#7 NoGluGirl

NoGluGirl

Slayer Spice

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,905 posts

Posted 25 April 2007 - 07:05 PM

Dear Kris1,
I take Prilosec OTC. I am sorry to hear the company was rude. That is so disappointing! Whenever I have called, I have been lucky not to get anyone like that yet. You can go to www.glutenfreedrugs.com to look up meds.

Sincerely,
NoGluGirl
Jin

Strawberry Allergy, mold allergy, dustmites allergy, ragweed allergy, dust allergy, food dye allergy - 1985
Asthma - 1994
Ovarian Cyst - May 1999
Anemia - 2000
4 More Ovarian Cysts - March 2000
Bloodwork for Celiac - November 2000 negative
Colonoscopy, Endoscopy, Intercolisis, Gastric Emptying Study - May and June 2001 negative biopsy
Fibromyalgia - June 2001
IBS - June 2001
Gallbladder Removal - July 28, 2003 after doctor said the tests showed nothing, so it was not gallbladder disease. It was very inflamed and irritated and nearly ruptured the surgeon told me at my 10 day post-op check-up.
Thyroid Disease - August 2004
Celiac Disease - March 2007 Current Dr. refers to me as Celiac, as she says blood tests are often inaccurate.

Official Purple Glittery Bat Keeper, District Attorney, and Chinese Restaurant Owner of The Silver Dragon of Rachelville

#8 Leonesse

Leonesse

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 06:30 PM

Not all generic omeprazoles are guaranteed gluten-free. Walgreen's generic, for instance, is NOT on their list of gluten-free drugs, according to their pharmacists.
Loving connection is like water, bearing life & healing. Once, we were connected to all things; but we have disconnected from nature & ourselves. The animals, wild & domestic, are anxious to reconnect with us consciously so we may learn what they have to teach: how to love unconditionally, to parent well, to be at peace, to be resilient, to live lightly on the Earth in harmony with the animal & plant nations... Please consider learning animal communication. Anyone can do it, it's fun, and you'd help save the Earth!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: