Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Prilosec

8 posts in this topic

hi

my dr told me to buy prilosec delayed release. does anyone have any experience taking this. thier website says the regular prilosec is gluten-free but does not say about the extende release ones.

thanks!!

Jess

Ads by Google:
hi

my dr told me to buy prilosec delayed release. does anyone have any experience taking this. thier website says the regular prilosec is gluten-free but does not say about the extende release ones.

thanks!!

Jess

Jess:

I would think that it's a safe bet. Richard says that very few if not all meds do not contain gluten.

I take omeprazole (generic prilosec) without any problems.......it's a lifesaver for me. ;)

I was taking nexium, backed off to the lower dosage in Prilosec OTC (I had taken Prilosec when it was prescription). Prilosec OTC is a tablet, not a capsule, and lists some generic starch as an ingredient and I did react. It took several days and it was low grade, but when I went off the pills the reaction went away. Not sure exactly what prilosec formulation you're looking at. But if it's a tablet, I'd double check.

I just got off the phone with Proctor and Gamble trying to find out if the starch in Prilosec OTC is wheat-derived. They were quite rude and told me that they had absolutely no way of finding out that information and weren't willing to pursue it for me. Any ideas on a next step? I'm just starting on a gluten free diet and am new at this. Thanks

I know that Omeprizole is gluten free - generic Prilosec. I don't think that you will have any problem with Prilosec, but I reserve on the side of caution to give you a confirmation. I have never had a problem.

Pepcid - the primary source of starch is corn derived, secondary starches may be rice or potatoe.

Pepsid R - Tablets

Pepsid R - Complete Tablets.

Gas X - all forms

Pepto - all forms

I just got off the phone with Proctor and Gamble trying to find out if the starch in Prilosec OTC is wheat-derived. They were quite rude and told me that they had absolutely no way of finding out that information and weren't willing to pursue it for me. Any ideas on a next step? I'm just starting on a gluten free diet and am new at this. Thanks

Yea, Don't buy it, write a letter to the company complaining about this reps treatment of you and get some pepto bismal. The pink stuff and not some generic. After I was given ulcers by the prep for my upper and lower scope, (I had no ulcer symptoms before I did the prep and procedure) the doc sent me home that day with the Prilosec OTC. I instead took pepto once or twice a day if things hurt and haven't needed anything since day 4 post procedure.

Dear Kris1,

I take Prilosec OTC. I am sorry to hear the company was rude. That is so disappointing! Whenever I have called, I have been lucky not to get anyone like that yet. You can go to www.glutenfreedrugs.com to look up meds.

Sincerely,

NoGluGirl

Not all generic omeprazoles are guaranteed gluten-free. Walgreen's generic, for instance, is NOT on their list of gluten-free drugs, according to their pharmacists.