115 replies to this topic

#1 linds

linds

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 21 November 2006 - 10:38 PM

Just wandering who is all from Minnesota. I live in northern MN in a small town and feel like no one arround is like me.
Hope to hear from all you minnesotans!!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 RiceAddict

RiceAddict

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 28 November 2006 - 10:08 AM

I actually live in Northern Iowa but spend a great deal of time in MN, mostly Rochester area. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

A

#3 mn farm gal

mn farm gal

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 05 December 2006 - 02:13 PM

Hi to the Minnesotan's! I have lived in central Minnesota all my life. Just started the Celica diet in July, and still learning it seems like a ssloooww learning process. I have a hard time trying new things, it seems that I eat pretty much the same things. Glad to hear from you all!

#4 LisaJ

LisaJ

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 05 December 2006 - 02:51 PM

Hi Everyone! I live in Minneapolis and just started (again) the gluten free diet about a month ago. I was diagnosed with Celiac when I was 2 years old, and then unfortunately a doctor that didn't know much about Celiac told me I did not have it after I had a normal biopsy (I had been on a gluten free diet for 15 years at the time). He told me "you just have IBS". :angry: So after being pretty sick for the past few years and things just kept getting worse, I finally got tested again, and yes, I do have Celiac - UGH! I am finally starting to feel better though. Anybody know any good restaurants to go to? I have been scared to go out to eat!!
Lisa

"The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page" -St. Augustine

#5 Jennas-auntie

Jennas-auntie

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 05 December 2006 - 03:38 PM

We are from MN-I recommend checking out the Northland Celiac page http://northlandceli...fm/support.html

They have a listing of gluten free shopping places and also a section on the restaurants you can go to where they will know about it/have menus for you. They have added more in even the past few months. They also had a booth this year at the State Fair that a lot of us Minnesotans checked out that listed places you could go at the fair to get gluten-free items/food. So that's been useful. Oh, and check out the Bittersweet Bakery-yum-they are totally gluten-free, and will also do birthday cakes/wedding cakes etc.

Best wishes!

#6 LisaJ

LisaJ

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 05 December 2006 - 04:32 PM

THANK YOU Jennas-auntie! :D
Lisa

"The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page" -St. Augustine

#7 aabel

aabel

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 10 January 2007 - 08:41 AM

THANK YOU Jennas-auntie! :D

#8 aabel

aabel

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 10 January 2007 - 08:44 AM

Hello all you Minnesotans. I am from central Minnesota and also resommend checking out the twincitiesrock.org. It has some get started information for you newbies and also for any children with celiac. There are more of us 'silly-aks' than you think.

Amy

#9 Cheri A

Cheri A

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 935 posts

Posted 12 January 2007 - 06:19 AM

Hi... I live in a southern 'burb of Minneapolis. I'll have to check out that rock site.

Lisa, glad that you are back on track and starting to feel better now. We don't really eat out very much. The one place that we have had good luck at is Outback Steakhouse. We have tried other restaurants, but she always complains that her tummy hurts after wards.
Mom of:
Carleigh~ 10 years old, allergic to wheat, milk, peanuts, strawberries, and many EAs. She is currently soy-light and egg-light ~ celiac testing inconclusive by allergist.
Gluten-Free since 10/05 She's a gymnast. : )

Nick ~ 13 years old with no known allergies.

#10 Rook's Mommy

Rook's Mommy

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 21 January 2007 - 07:12 AM

Minnesotan here. I am from the twin cities area. I am also very new to the board. This will be my 5th day gluten-free. I am doing this for my ds who is breastfeeding. He has the intolerance. But I am finding that I feel amazingly better myself. Glad to know I am not alone :D

Addie, wife to Dennis, mother to Gillian (4) and Rook (2)!

Gluten and Corn Free since 02/6

Soy and Peanut Free since 07/08

#11 mn farm gal

mn farm gal

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 22 January 2007 - 08:04 PM

Welcome to ALL!!! This board is wonderful.

#12 Jennas-auntie

Jennas-auntie

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 23 January 2007 - 06:28 AM

Welcome to ALL!!! This board is wonderful.

Say, has anyone been to Cooqi yet? It is a new all gluten free bakery in St. Paul (MN). I haven't been there, just wondering what people thought. Here's their site: http://www.cooqiglutenfree.com/

#13 TestyTommy

TestyTommy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 23 January 2007 - 09:27 AM

Hi everyone! My name is Tom and I live in downtown Minneapolis.

Thanks for the link to Cooqi. A friend of mine told me about this store last week. (The owner is apparently a friend of a friend). I tried to find it last weekend, but let's just say that my friend is 'directionally challenged'. I drove around St. Paul for an hour and a half and couldn't find it!

Now that I have an address, I'll go check it out this week. Is anyone curious about any particular item?

#14 Jennas-auntie

Jennas-auntie

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 23 January 2007 - 03:57 PM

Thanks for the link to Cooqi. A friend of mine told me about this store last week. (The owner is apparently a friend of a friend). I tried to find it last weekend, but let's just say that my friend is 'directionally challenged'. I drove around St. Paul for an hour and a half and couldn't find it!

Now that I have an address, I'll go check it out this week. Is anyone curious about any particular item?

Hm, open to whatever might be good I guess-maybe if they have a specialty or something they say people really like? Maybe what are general prices like there too? Sounds like an interesting place though.

#15 LisaJ

LisaJ

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 23 January 2007 - 04:17 PM

Hi Tom -

I have been to Cooqi a couple of times - it is hard to find! It still has a sign on the building that it is an embroidery shop. Their multigrain bread if fabulous - I definitely recommend it! It's about $5.50 for one loaf, but it's worth it. I always call and reserve bread before I go because they usually run out right away. I have also tried their carrot cake and cookies - all very good.

Hope you have better luck finding it this time! ;)
Lisa

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: