This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Just Wondering Who's From Minnesota

linds

Cheri A Contributor

We took little trip to Cooqi this weekend in the rain. I tried to call them, but kept getting the answering machine so we just went. My dd is gluten-free, dairy and egg free. There are 3 things she could have ~ pizza crust, foccacia and baguette. All they had was a mini foccacia that was $3.50

We will go again, but I will make sure to reserve those items. She liked the foccacia pretty well though.

Also, there is a new Fresh and Natural store in Bloomington that someone told me about this week. It's on the 90th and Penn, I guess. I plan to check that out too!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
LisaJ Apprentice
We took little trip to Cooqi this weekend in the rain. I tried to call them, but kept getting the answering machine so we just went. My dd is gluten-free, dairy and egg free. There are 3 things she could have ~ pizza crust, foccacia and baguette. All they had was a mini foccacia that was $3.50

We will go again, but I will make sure to reserve those items. She liked the foccacia pretty well though.

Also, there is a new Fresh and Natural store in Bloomington that someone told me about this week. It's on the 90th and Penn, I guess. I plan to check that out too!

Thanks Cheri. I was hoping they'd be more well staffed/stocked so I wouldn't have to call and reserve anymore - darn. Oh well, that "works" bread is so good, it's worth it!

Wow, I hadn't heard about a new Fresh and Natural in Bloomington. I love that place - I do all my gluten-free shopping at the one in Shoreview.

kbtoyssni Contributor
Wow, I hadn't heard about a new Fresh and Natural in Bloomington. I love that place - I do all my gluten-free shopping at the one in Shoreview.

I also do all my gluten-free shopping at the FNF in Shoreview. I wonder if I've seen you there and didn't even know it!

LisaJ Apprentice
I also do all my gluten-free shopping at the FNF in Shoreview. I wonder if I've seen you there and didn't even know it!

LOL - probably! I'm usually in there 2 or 3 times a week :P

Guest JennyK

I'm from MN too! Has anyone checked out BitterSweet Gluten Free Bakery in Eagan?

Guest JennyK

What is with this cold spell?????? :angry:

LisaJ Apprentice
I'm from MN too! Has anyone checked out BitterSweet Gluten Free Bakery in Eagan?

I have not been to the bakery, but I buy their products often at Fresh and Natural Foods - super yummy.

I don't know what is with the cold spell - but I hate it!! I thought it was spring <_<

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Cheri A Contributor
I don't know what is with the cold spell - but I hate it!! I thought it was spring <_<

No kidding!!

I checked their website and there wasn't anything that my dd could have because of the additional allergies. I WISH someone could bake me a VANILLA cake that she would eat!! I've tried at least 25 recipes and they either don't come out right or she doesn't like them :(

• 3 weeks later...
2001gtz Newbie

Hi everyone.

Nice to see some local Minnesota people on this board. I've been browsing for a while, but never registered... but I finally did. :)

I've been gluten-free for 3 and a half years. I went through what alot of others here have before I was diagnosed. Went to doctors for 2 years and finally met one doctor who said he had a hunch. Did the test and found out. Thats the cliff notes version lol.

I've been reading this thread, and I'm glad to see that you have found the gluten-free bakerys around the TC area. I tend to stay away from any type of bread (rice, corn, etc) because it just doesn't appeal to me anymore... but show me a gluten-free pasta and pizza dish and I'm happier than a pig in mud.

Well like I said, this is just a hello, and I'll see you around the forums.

-Pete

• 3 weeks later...
sheenababe Newbie

Hi fellow Minnesotans!

I am so glad they have a forum for people like us! I just figured out that I am gluten intolerant about 20 days ago and have been feeling so good now that I am gluten free! It's been about 12 years of suffering supposedly from IBS and a whole array of other things. But now this one little thing and here I am actually a normal person!

I am from the Shoreview area and just wanted to say hi. I have recently discovered the FNF in Shoreview but I feel like I get the same things every time. Anyone know any good and easy recipes? I just got some cookbooks from the library but I can't even pronounce half the things they have in there. I just want to eat some normal good food! :P

Well I did see that there are a few bakerys around the area though so I will have to check those out.

Just wanted to say hi and see if I could get some ideas!

Sheena

Cheri A Contributor

Welcome, Sheena! Glad that you are feeling better now.

I have checked out every gluten-free cookbook in our library at one time or another. Great resource.

Because of my dd's numerous allergies, $$ and taste, I make most everything from scratch now. The few things I don't make are K-too cookies, Cerrone Cones, Glutino pretzels and cereal.

Come check out the Baking and Cooking Thread and you'll find lots of ideas!

Becky6 Enthusiast

Hello! I am in a northern suburb of Mpls. We usually shop at the F&N in Plymouth. Has anyone been to Mad Woman foods retail store in Mpls? It is on 47th and Nicollet. It is so good! They have great cakes and I ordered one for my daughters b-day. They also have great rolls and hamburger buns, muffins, cupcakes, quiche, swedish meatballs and their pizzas. You really have to check it out. Anyone going to the making tracks for Celiacs walk on saturday? It will be in victoria.

kbtoyssni Contributor

Becky - I was at the Celiac Walk. I was the one cutting all the doughnuts and bagels in quarters all morning. Did you try the gluten free pizza??? Delicious - just like the greasy, fresh out of the oven pizzas you get from any other pizza place.

Take-out pizza is the one thing I miss so I'm very sad that the pizza place is in Victoria and not closer to me in Shoreview.

Cheri A Contributor

I didn't know there was a Celiac walk yesterday. That would have been fun!

What was the pizza place called in Victoria? I don't live near there either, but might take a drive there one Saturday to let Carleigh eat pizza out. When we were on vacation in FL, there is a place that she was able to eat pizza at and she thought that was the coolest thing. Expensive, but totally worth it!

I finally went to the new Fresh and Natural store in Bloomington this week. I think their prices were about the same as the co-op I go to in Burnsville. I did buy some awesome produce that was very reasonably priced though!

kbtoyssni Contributor

The pizza place is

Roulette's Pizza

952-443-4644

1550 Arboretum

Victoria, MN 55386

kramster Newbie

Hi,

I'm new here & am from north central MN. I'm doing some research on all this gluten free stuff. I have lots of questions & very interested in giving it a try!! Nice to see the websites for places close to home too.....Thanks!

Kathy

Becky6 Enthusiast

I am sure I saw you there then! I was the one with a little wild red head in pig tails! She had a blast and ran the whole way during the walk!

• 1 month later...
Shari K Newbie

Hi,

I live in the southern suburbs of Minneapolis and was diagnosed about 8 months ago with Celiac Disease. Thanks for all the great places to go to eat. I highly recommend Chianti Grill in Burnsville. They have a gluten free menu that includes gluten free pasta. They are an italian restaurant, but their steaks are also great!

I'm wondering if anyone knows of a good Gastroenterologists in the southern suburbs? I've been to two different ones, and haven't liked either of them. I've read of a good one at Mayo in Rochester, but would prefer to stay closer to home near the Twin Cities area.

• 3 weeks later...
TestyTommy Rookie
Thanks Cheri. I was hoping they'd be more well staffed/stocked so I wouldn't have to call and reserve anymore - darn. Oh well, that "works" bread is so good, it's worth it!

I thought I'd give a Cooqi update, since I go there at least twice a week now.

The store is still open four days a week -- Wednesday til 6:00. Thursday til 8:00, Friday til 6:00 and Saturday til 4:00.

They have a lot more people working there (I counted six last Friday afternoon), and every time I go there now, there is a big selection. There are usually a few kinds of breads, foccacia, rolls, buns, etc., 2-3 kinds of brownies and 2-3 kinds of muffins, plus cookies and cupcakes and sometimes fruit bars. They always have frozen bread and frozen pizza crust, and are working with a local pizza shop on making gluten-free pizzas. Doughnuts are supposedly coming soon, too. They also sell some of their gluten-free baking mix in little bag if you're a do-it-yourselfer, but I have not tried it.

They can also make gluten-free cakes if you order them. I bought a gluten-free carrot cake a few days ago. The person who ordered it cancelled the order, so they had it in the display case and I couldn't pass it up. I'm a carrot cake lover from my pre-Celiac days, and this cake was phenomenal!

Also, most of the people who work there are celiacs or have celiac in their families, so they are very knowledgeable and very nice. Pretty much everything I've had tastes great. I especially love the brownies and muffins, but that's because I've always liked brownies and muffins!

It's probably still a good idea to call ahead if you're coming from outstate, and the pickings can get slim at the end of the day on Saturday. But it's definitely improved from a few months ago, when I would sometimes drive over there and then be disappointed because there was nothing but cookies available.

Cheri A Contributor

Hi Shari :)

Thanks for the info on Chianti Grill. I live very close to Burnsville. We'll have to give it a try.

Sorry, I don't have any gastro info for you. I hope that someone else does.

TT ~ thanks for the Cooqi update too. I'm glad that they are doing well! :) I'll have to call and ask what is safe now for my dd.

Cheri A Contributor

Hoping and praying that everyone that posts here is safe and sound and not missing anyone from the bridge collapse last night. :(

Teacher1958 Apprentice
Just wandering who is all from Minnesota. I live in northern MN in a small town and feel like no one arround is like me.

Hope to hear from all you minnesotans!!

I'm from Ohio, but am curious: Do you have cool summers there or do the temperatures get into the 90's sometimes? I'd like to find somewhere to retire where the summer are cool. I'm about ready to move to Siberia.

LisaJ Apprentice
I'm from Ohio, but am curious: Do you have cool summers there or do the temperatures get into the 90's sometimes? I'd like to find somewhere to retire where the summer are cool. I'm about ready to move to Siberia.

It has been 87 degrees or above for the past 10 days. If you are looking for cool summers, this is not the place!

little d Enthusiast
Hoping and praying that everyone that posts here is safe and sound and not missing anyone from the bridge collapse last night. :(

Yes I hope and pray for the families who may have lost someone, My husband said that a woman drowned and no one was able to get to her and died with recuers not able to get to her, I feel for them too. But with the lose of this woman a bus full of children were saved. The people and families will be in our prayers.

donna

michiamojersey Rookie

I was born in central MN, (near Alexandria) but I have lived in Minnetonka for a couple years. My thoughts and prayers are with all of you if you know anyone that was on 35 yesterday!

Archived