This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Just Wondering Who's From Minnesota

linds

Teacher1958 Apprentice
It has been 87 degrees or above for the past 10 days. If you are looking for cool summers, this is not the place!

Good heavens! It's as hot as Ohio! I wonder how far north I'd have to go to escape the hot weather. :o

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
TestyTommy Rookie
Good heavens! It's as hot as Ohio! I wonder how far north I'd have to go to escape the hot weather. :o

There is nothing good to say about the weather out here. It's bitterly cold in the winter and nasy hot and humid in the summer. Spring and fall usually last about 3 days each. It's always either too hot or too cold. I grew up in Detroit, and the weather there is way better than in Minnesohda. And places like North and South Dakota are even worse. It's the 'Great Plains Effect'.

Have you looked into the Pacific NW? It's rainy, but the temperatures on the coast are moderate -- not too hot or cold. My guess is that if you're looking for cool summers, your best bet is going to be something on the ocean.

Let me know if you find someplace --- I may join you!

LisaJ Apprentice
Spring and fall usually last about 3 days each.

That is so true!! haha - I was just complaining about that last week - I love spring and fall, and it seems like we don't get much of either! <_<

• 1 month later...
TestyTommy Rookie

Anyone go to the State Fair? There was a 'Gluten-Free Living' booth at the KARE 11 Health Fair. I also noticed that the beer stands were serving Red Bridge, a gluten-free beer. I had my first beer since going gluten-free, and it was actually pretty good.

I'm going to the Vikes game tomorrow. Anyone wanna bet there's no gluten-free beer at the Dome?

Cheri A Contributor

That's so GREAT that they had Redbridge @ State Fair!

We did not go this year, maybe next year we will.

Great game on Sunday! Hope you found some beer!

skyepie Newbie

Hi,

Checking in from Rochester, MN, though have only lived here or in this area for the past 5 years. I'm from Mankato, MN originally. For those non-MN readers, that's where Laura Ingalls and her family would frequently travel to on the Little House series. :) I work at the WFMC (World Famous Mayo Clinic), am 35, married and a mother of 2. Though I've only been gluten-free for 2 full months, I have to say that I appreciate all that Rochester has to offer to the gluten-free community. Many restaurants here (even local joints) have gluten-free menus, and we have speciality stores that cater to the gluten-free lifestyle. I had the best gluten-free delivery pizza on Sunday night. (I refuse to cook on Sundays once football starts!) I recently traveled for work and spent most of the week with fun gastroenterological symptoms of glutening due to having to eat all of my meals out. I was proactive, took dining out cards with me, talked with waitstaff and kitchen staff, but it still happened.

Anyway, I've enjoyed reading posts on these boards and have found a lot of useful information.

Thanks!

Skyepie

TestyTommy Rookie

Hi Skyepie!

Can you give us some recommendations for restaurants and/or gluten-free stores in Rochester? I'd like to check them out when I'm in Rochester.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Cheri A Contributor

Hi Skypie!

Yes, I'd love to know where you like to eat too. We go through Rochester to go to the allergist. It would be great to know the places to eat other than Wendys. I had the best Italian food at Victorias a few years ago (before gluten-free).

skyepie Newbie

Rochester has some awesome restaurants!

Cheri mentioned Victoria's which is downtown by the Clinic. They advertise on their menu that they can make virtually any dish gluten-free. I eat lunch there every other week or so, and they can substitute gluten-free pasta and you woudn't even know it! Michaels (also downtown) has a special gluten-free menu that they bring out, though both times I've eaten there, I've not felt good afterward. But it may not have been related to eating there. Hard to tell. Valentino's has AWESOME gluten-free pizza, and it is not outrageously expensive compared to other pizza parlours. I love Dos Amigos Mexican food, and eat their enchilada platters, nachos, and cheese dip without any problems. I've never asked about gluten there, but I'm a girl who can get sick for 4 days after eating 1 cheerio. The Jenpachi Japanese Steakhouse has a gluten-free menu and they cook the food right in front of you, it's like a Benihana type of restaurant.

We have a store called the Gluten Free Cupboard and the Good Food Store Co-Op, both of which have websites if you Google them. I get a lot of groceries at both. Our local Hy-Vee stores have great organic and gluten-free sections too. They also put out a list of their store-brand foods that are gluten-free.

There's also tons of chain restaurants who will accomodate those requiring gluten-free food - Panera, Chipotle, Noodles & Co., Applebees, Timberlodge, Outback, etc.

I hope that helps!

Skyepie

mccargar Newbie

Hello from Rochester!

I've been on a gluten-free diet for about a year now. I was having problems with chest pain, gut pain and anxiety and based on the fact both parents and a brother have celiac symptoms decided to try gluten free. It was pretty tough at first but much easier now to adapt to the lifestyle. Oh and my wife and I couldn't get pregnant for years until a couple months after I went gluten-free!

The Gluten Free Cupboard is a great store here in Rochester. Hy-vee south has a decent selection of items as well. I love those Kinnicknik english muffins.

For lunch I sometimes get a Chicken Cashew Salad from Culver's. The vanilla/chocolate custard is also gluten-free.

I sometimes get tacos from Chipotle which are decent but some risk of CC when going there.

Outback Steakhouse and Timberlodge have gluten-free menus and several good options. I've never had a reaction from either restaurant.

I'm going to have to try a pizza from Valentinos sometime.

Cheri A Contributor

Thanks so much for that information!!

We will be heading through there next month ~ we go to LaCrosse and back in the same day. So we end up eating dinner in Rochester on our way home usually. Carleigh would flip for some gluten-free pizza at a real restaurant! I am also thrilled to hear about Victoria's!! We'll have to try it sometime!!

Kelli Newbie

Hello all, it's great to see so many from Minnesota...I'm from Winsted, MN which is about one hour west of the t.c. I've heard of the Mad Woman Bakery as well as Cooqi's but haven't been there yet. In Minnetonka there is the Lakewinds Store that I have found alot at. I also found a place near Cokato, MN. I work in Wayzata so I can do most of my shopping out that way -the small town I live in has a Super Valu with NOTHING that's gluten free! I've been gluten-free now for 3 weeks and doing great. I've gotten my energy back, though still working on the memory loss and focus thing. I had never heard of Celiac Disease until I was told I had it now every other person I talk to about it knows someone who has it!

I recv'd a flyer about a convention type of thing in St. Paul coming up for Celiacs and they'll have lots of free samples!

Just wondering if anyone has tried Sorghum Syrup yet? I was going to buy it but thought I'd ask first. Also, is there a better "textured" bread than Tapioca? And where the heck do you find hamburger buns that don't crumble?

TestyTommy Rookie

Hi Kelli!

Are you talking about the ROCKfest on Saturday? I'm planning on going.

Most gluten-free bread is nasty. The only gluten-free bread I'll eat is from Cooqi. They also make hamburger buns that are awesome -- I especially like the onion buns.

Kelli Newbie

I'm planning on going to the Rock fest if I can manage on finding my way through St. Paul!-I come from a hick town with no stop lilghts so whenever I have to travel to St. Paul or Mpls. I get alittle nervous!! I have been eating the Tapioca Bread-I have to toast it for it to resemble normal bread at all and the stuff stinks like its old! Not to mention how incredibly small the slices are.

Kelli Newbie

HERE'S THAT INFO FOR ROCKFEST/FOOD FAIR GLUTEN AND WHEAT FREE!!!!!

ROCKfest-A Celebration of a Gluten-Free (Raising Our Celiac Kids)/Gluten-Free Food Fair

Oct. 6th, 2007

9-10am-Donna Korn presents "Living Gluten-Free and Loving It"

10:30-12:30pm GLUTEN-FREE FOOD FAIR

Admission is free but you might want to bring some moola to purchase any items at the food fair-there should be alot of samples though.

***Danna's presentation is targeted to individuals of any age who are wheat-free or gluten-free

Where: OLSON CAMPUS CENTER

1490 Fulham Street, St. Paul, MN 55108

(East of Hwy 280 and Como Avenue)

driving directions may be found on Luther Seminary's website:www.luthersem.edu/

Virgie Apprentice

Hi, ALL!! I am from MN too. The Southwestern part. Very small town about 50 miles from Mankato. My 13 year old daughter was officially dx with Celiac the beginning of September. First day of school actually. We doctor at the Mayo clinic in Rochester because that is where our 18 year old son has been going for treatment for Ulcerative Colitis.

This board is great. Glad that it is here. Lots of helpful info. :)

Virgie

TestyTommy Rookie

Kelli,

Don't worry about navigating St. Paul -- it's easy.

If you're coming from the west, I'm guessing you'll come into the Cities via 394. Just follow it to I-94 (heading east) and exit onto 280 (about 2 miles after you cross the Mississippi -- it's a LEFT hand exit). Follow 280(a mile or so north of I-94, and then exit onto Como Avenue. The seminary is right there.

280 is the detour road for I-35 since the bridge collapse, so traffic there is a lot heavier than it used to be. But at 9:00 am on Saturday it won't be bad.

If you're coming all that way, you should stop by Cooqui, too. It's about 2 miles from the seminary, just about a mile south of I-94 at Cretin and Marshall. Exit 94 at the "Cretin/Vandalia" exit, turn right (south) and it's at the first big interesection you get to (Marshall Avenue).

Good luck!

Cheri A Contributor

I wish I could go this Saturday. Carleigh has cheerleading and a birthday party to go to. For those of you that attend, please report back all about it, okay?

AFA bread, Carleigh did not like the store-bought bread. She likes the sorghum bread that I found at www.twinvalleymills.com We have to modify it some, but have it down to a science now. It's pictured in my avatar.

I have never heard of sorghum syrup before.

Welcome Virgi and Kelli!

djc5581 Newbie

Greetings all from Eagan,

I am shocked this many people so close. I have yet to try any bakery as I was just diagnosed less than a month ago. I went to Cub in Apple Valley and bought some items, not impressed. I live 1/8th of a mile from the Bittersweet Bakery but have yet to try it. I will be going to Cooqis ASAP!!!

Dave

LisaJ Apprentice

Dave,

You have got to try the monster cookies from Bittersweet Bakery - YUMMY! I bring them to work once in a while and everyone loves them.

And Cooqi has the BEST bread - and I know I'm not alone in that opinion.

Oh - and in case you haven't heard of it, be sure to eat at Chianti Grill for dinner - gluten free pasta! Open Original Shared Link

• 2 weeks later...
Cheri A Contributor

We took Carleigh to the allergist in LaCrosse on Friday, and we ate pizza at Valentino's in Rochester. She loved it. Thanks, Skypie! I'm hoping that the next visit we can try Victoria's again.

• 3 weeks later...
tee0007 Newbie

Can anyone help me out:

Open Original Shared Link

• 2 months later...
Cheri A Contributor

Just thought I'd bump this thread back up to the top.

How is everyone doing? How 'bout this freezing weather? Geez!!

MN-Newbie Newbie

It is wicked cold!

Madwoman foods (48th & Nicollet) is a great bakery, I love their teacakes (I've only ever had them fresh but I've seen them frozen for sale @ Whole Foods) and cupcakes. I haven't tried Cooqi yet, I will have to asap!

I've been reading a lot of the restaurant threads because I already miss going out and it's week 1 gluten-free for me! Seward Cafe (26th & Franklin, exit 94 @ Riverside/25th, right on Franklin, on the left) has lots of gluten-free options, my favorite so far is the righteous pancake. Meal texture but good old pancake flavor + real maple syrup so no flavorings/caramel color worries!

Does anyone know if Hard Times Cafe does gluten-free at all? I already miss chocolate oat bars.

Anyone in Duluth? I used to live there and still visit, know of any good gluten-free bakeries/restaurants/stores ?

Great to have fellow Minnesotans on this! Thanks!

kbtoyssni Contributor

Yeah, it is cold. I went snowboarding in Lutsen last weekend, and it was the first time I can remember actually being really whiny and miserable about the cold and wind. Normally the cold doesn't bother me at all.

Archived