This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Just Wondering Who's From Minnesota

linds

Ahorsesoul Enthusiast

I'm in western WI but shop a lot in the Twin Cities. I love Fresh and Natural in Hudson for my gluten-free groceries.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
celiac-charmer Newbie
Hey, everyone. It's nice to see some posts here again. :)

We just got back from a great trip to Florida for the kids' break. We visited Orlando and went to SeaWorld parks. I mostly packed snacks for us, but we were able to get a couple of great meals there that were safe. At Aquatica, there was not really anything good, but we did find some packaged brownies from a company here that I had never heard of before. She loved them. The company is called French Meadow Bakery and when we came back, I saw that they are even at the airport. I checked out their site and am going to try a few other things. Their brownies tasted just like the ones I make for her. Has anyone else tried their stuff?

www.frenchmeadow.com

Hi!

I have never been to French Meadow but I have had the frozen cookies and brownies that Target now carries in their frozen foods section. Very tasty!! I'm not sure about the price though as my boyfriends son bought them for me (wasn't that sweet of him?).

Glad you had a good trip!

Heather

• 3 months later...
TestyTommy Rookie

French Meadow is a bakery on Lyndale, just south of downtown. It's been there for at least 20 years. I haven't seen any of their gluten-free products at Target, but I'm going to take a look.

Not to be a downer, but. . . remember that this is the company that was raided by the FBI a year or two ago for mislabeling products as gluten-free when they really weren't.

• 6 months later...
heather201 Newbie

Gluten-free Pizza

Leonardo's Pizzeria in Mahtomedi has started offering gluten-free pizza. I haven't tried it myself, but a celiac friend of mine said it was excellent. www.leonardospizzeria.net

Park Tavern in St. Louis Park (Hwy 5 and Louisiana) has offered gluten-free pizza for a while. I've tried it and it's very good.

Has anyone else found any gluten-free pizza in the Cities? Pizza is probably the thing I miss the most since going gluten-free.

Godfathers has a new gluten free pizza. Check website for stores that offer it. not all do yet.

heather201 Newbie

Hi, My name is Heather and I just found out I have celiac's disease. I live in monticello not to far from the cities. I just wanted to say hi and if anyone else lives near by. Do you know of any good support groups? Thanks.

jackay Enthusiast

Hi,

I'm from New Ulm, MN which is less than 30 miles SW of Mankato. I don't know of anyone in the area that is gluten intolerant and sure would like to me someone who is.

I went gluten free about six months ago and didn't note any changes. I first became aware of cross contamination about six weeks ago. Since then I have been very careful and had been feeling much better. Today things aren't looking so good. I have many other food intolerances so don't know if it is the gluten or something else.

Jackay

rebe09 Contributor

I live in the southwestern part of Minnesota in a small town. I have lived and grown up in the Twin Cities and moved here at the end of the summer. It's been a transition to adapt to small life as it relates to being on a gluten-free diet. You are definitely not alone. :)

Just wandering who is all from Minnesota. I live in northern MN in a small town and feel like no one arround is like me.

Hope to hear from all you minnesotans!!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• 2 weeks later...
Tammy Dudley Newbie

I am from a small town in Northern Minnesota also. I recently was tested for celiac and the doctor said no. I had been having all of these symtoms for quite some time. A nurse asked me if I was tested because she suffers from this. So, I went gluten free for 2 weeks and all the symtoms went away. I realized that the doctors aren't always right. I may not have celiac diseas, but I am most definately gluten sensative. Then I fell off the wagon. I am a carb addict and living with 2 other family members that eat everything is hard. How does a person do it. I am really trying hard to work out the gluten free diet.

jackay Enthusiast

I am from a small town in Northern Minnesota also. I recently was tested for celiac and the doctor said no. I had been having all of these symtoms for quite some time. A nurse asked me if I was tested because she suffers from this. So, I went gluten free for 2 weeks and all the symtoms went away. I realized that the doctors aren't always right. I may not have celiac diseas, but I am most definately gluten sensative. Then I fell off the wagon. I am a carb addict and living with 2 other family members that eat everything is hard. How does a person do it. I am really trying hard to work out the gluten free diet.

Tammy,

My husband eats gluten all day long. I'm not too tempted as I know what it does to me. However, it is hard not getting cross contaminated. There are always some crumbs around. I don't expect him to be as careful as I have to be so I am very, very careful about always washing my dishes and hands. It seems to be working O.K.

I leave the room when he eats pizza as that was the hardest thing for me to give up. I've got so many other food intolerances that I can't make a pizza that I can eat.

I may at one point allow my husband to bake cookies. I'm concerned about getting cross contaminated with the flour getting all over. When it warms up in MN, if that will ever happen, he can mix the ingredients out on the picnic table.

Good luck with your gluten free diet.

Sharon Marie Apprentice

Hi

I am from the little town of Blooming Prairie, Mn. One great thing about this forum is that it makes one realize they are not alone with any of their strange symptoms.

I appreciate you all!

• 4 weeks later...
New-To-This Rookie

Hi there! We're from Milaca. I do enjoy the posts and seeing we Minnesotans aren't as few as it feels like. To bad we don't all live close by, lol! I live in the country and raise a huge garden, chickens for eggs, and some for butchering too. But when it comes to stuff you can't grow on your own I get frustrated sometimes because of the limited resources and expense from living in a small town.

I have gone to St. Cloud to try the Godfathers gluten free pizza and was not impressed. Oh the things we miss out on, lol!

Sun is shining so I need to get outside and enjoy it!

• 6 months later...
mweinand Newbie

Central MN - Rice area.

• 1 month later...
GFJackie Newbie

hey all!

I'm from Woodbury! College student, working in downtown Minneapolis, just moved in with my non-celiac boyfriend.

anyone else in a similar situation? Or knows of anywhere to eat in the Skyways of Minneapolis??

• 11 months later...
TestyTommy Rookie

Wow, I knew I hadn't been to this forum in a long time, but it looks like I haven't been here for TWO YEARS! Yikes!

I've been looking for someplace to get my sweet-tooth fix since Cooqi and Madwoman closed, and last week I was surprised (and happy) to find that Cub carries a big selection of fresh baked goods from French Meadow. They had bread, raisin bread, brownies, chocolate chip cookies and little (5"?) chocolate cakes. They also had tortillas and cupcakes in the freezer case.

I thought the prices were very reasonable, too: cookies and brownies were $1.29 each, four (small) cupcakes were $3.79 and a little chocolate cake was $3.99.

Very convenient and it's nice to find baked goods that aren't frozen!

• 7 months later...
1desperateladysaved Proficient

Hi,

I love carbs too. I am enjoying crackers made of almonds and sesame seeds. So do my picky family. I was found to be genitically gluten intolerant. My family is not interested in the diet.

Newings Newbie

I'm in the NW suburbs and work downtown. I've had great luck eating at Chipotle, LeeAnn Chin's, Jimmy Johns (Unwich) and Good to go. I know I need to get better at bringing my lunch, which I do frequently, but it is nice to know there are good places to walk to eat.

I have lots of food allergies, so eating out is an eternal mindfield.

Archived