6 replies to this topic

#1 MySuicidalTurtle

MySuicidalTurtle

"Like a rolling stone?"

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,663 posts

Posted 23 November 2006 - 06:37 PM

Hello, I got a recipe for Hushpuppies here http://www.foodnetwo...tml?rsrc=search and made them. They came out great and were easy. I added a little bit of xanthum gum and made a few without onions and pepper for my Mom and the rest with. I think they taste good heated up the next day, too. If you make them remember to cut some in half to check and see if they are done in the middle before taking them all out. Oh, I didn't use any Essence and subsituted all-purpose flour with brown rice flour.

Cornmeal-Green Onion Hushpuppies Recipe courtesy Emeril Lagasse, 2005
Show: Emeril Live
Episode: Deep Fried Southern

Vegetable oil, for frying
1 1/2 cups yellow cornmeal
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 3/4 teaspoons salt
1/8 teaspoon cayenne
3 eggs, lightly beaten
1/3 cup minced green onions
1 cup milk
1/4 cup vegetable oil
Essence, for seasoning, recipe follows

Pour oil to a depth of 3 to 4 inches and preheat to 370 degrees F.
In a mixing bowl, combine the cornmeal, flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cayenne. Whisk together the eggs, green onions, milk, and 1/4 cup of the vegetable oil. Add the egg mixture to the flour mixture, stirring just until combined.

Carefully spoon 6 or 7 rounded tablespoonfuls of the batter into the preheated oil. Fry the hushpuppies, in batches, until golden brown, stirring constantly for overall browning, 2 to 3 minutes per batch.

Remove the hushpuppies and drain on a paper towel-lined plate. Season with additional salt and Essence, if desired. Serve immediately.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Justin087

Justin087

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 24 November 2006 - 12:23 PM

I might be wrong, but dosen't Cornmeal contain wheat flour?

Hello, I got a recipe for Hushpuppies here http://www.foodnetwo...tml?rsrc=search and made them. They came out great and were easy. I added a little bit of xanthum gum and made a few without onions and pepper for my Mom and the rest with. I think they taste good heated up the next day, too. If you make them remember to cut some in half to check and see if they are done in the middle before taking them all out. Oh, I didn't use any Essence and subsituted all-purpose flour with brown rice flour.
Cornmeal-Green Onion Hushpuppies Recipe courtesy Emeril Lagasse, 2005
Show: Emeril Live
Episode: Deep Fried Southern

Vegetable oil, for frying
1 1/2 cups yellow cornmeal
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 3/4 teaspoons salt
1/8 teaspoon cayenne
3 eggs, lightly beaten
1/3 cup minced green onions
1 cup milk
1/4 cup vegetable oil
Essence, for seasoning, recipe follows

Pour oil to a depth of 3 to 4 inches and preheat to 370 degrees F.
In a mixing bowl, combine the cornmeal, flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cayenne. Whisk together the eggs, green onions, milk, and 1/4 cup of the vegetable oil. Add the egg mixture to the flour mixture, stirring just until combined.

Carefully spoon 6 or 7 rounded tablespoonfuls of the batter into the preheated oil. Fry the hushpuppies, in batches, until golden brown, stirring constantly for overall browning, 2 to 3 minutes per batch.

Remove the hushpuppies and drain on a paper towel-lined plate. Season with additional salt and Essence, if desired. Serve immediately.

#3 MySuicidalTurtle

MySuicidalTurtle

"Like a rolling stone?"

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,663 posts

Posted 24 November 2006 - 07:10 PM

No, it's made from corn and I called the company to ask and make sure they were gluten0free even though I read the product was so on their website. Thanks for the concern though.

http://www.hodgsonmill.com/

#4 Ellen

Ellen

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 25 November 2006 - 12:43 AM

Oh, I didn't use any Essence and subsituted all-purpose flour with brown rice flour.

Bob's Red Mill makes a gluten-free all purpose flour that is fabulous! I'm using it in all my old recipies now to make them gluten-free. Thought this would help, since I know alot of the plain grain flours don't always work in substitutions.
Ellen
Diabetic for 30 years, Celiac for 1.5 years
Mom of one daughter on Gluten-free/Caisen-free diet, and another "normal" non-food allergied daughter
Wife to a husband of allergy to ALL antibiotics, to the point of where he cna't eat poultry or fish because they absorbe it in their meat when slaughtered.
Basically a family that eats NOTHING without a reaction.

#5 almostnrn

almostnrn

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 25 November 2006 - 09:03 AM

I have been dying for hushpuppies I can't wait to try these! Thanks so much for not only finding the recipe but trying it out first!

Edit: I made these over the weekend and they were a huge hit!
Amy

Diagnosed by biopsy with DH August 2005
Diagnosed with hypo-thyroidism December 2005
Diagnosed by biopsy with Celiac July 2006

#6 daffadilly

daffadilly

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Posted 26 November 2006 - 01:32 PM

For people that cannot have dairy there are a lot of hush puppy recipes that do not contain milk, I have never used milk in hush puppies, also no flour, just corn meal, and there is no need for xantham gum. Hush puppies are just an old Southern food that used to be made on the river banks at fish frys, orginally to feed the hound dogs (& the kids)... So if you cannot have the above things just check the mainstream recipes for Hush Puppies until you find one that does not use milk or flour.

#7 clbevilacqua

clbevilacqua

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 27 November 2006 - 03:20 PM

There is a good recipe on the Clabber Girl Baking Powder can & website. It does have milk though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: