Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

• Announcements

• admin

Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease   09/30/2015

This Celiac.com FAQ on celiac disease will guide you to all of the basic information you will need to know about the disease, its diagnosis, testing methods, a gluten-free diet, etc.   Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts What are the major symptoms of celiac disease? Celiac Disease Symptoms What testing is available for celiac disease? - list blood tests, endo with biopsy, genetic test and enterolab (not diagnostic) Celiac Disease Screening Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results Can I be tested even though I am eating gluten free? How long must gluten be taken for the serological tests to be meaningful? The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free Is celiac inherited? Should my children be tested? Ten Facts About Celiac Disease Genetic Testing Is there a link between celiac and other autoimmune diseases? Celiac Disease Research: Associated Diseases and Disorders Is there a list of gluten foods to avoid? Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients) Is there a list of gluten free foods? Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients) Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages Distilled Spirits (Grain Alcohols) and Vinegar: Are they Gluten-Free? Where does gluten hide? Additional Things to Beware of to Maintain a 100% Gluten-Free Diet Free recipes: Gluten-Free Recipes Where can I buy gluten-free stuff? Support this site by shopping at The Celiac.com Store.

I Was In Heaven Today....

3 posts in this topic

I picked up my eldest daughter today at a friends place down in the Beaches. On our way home, I stopped off at the Loblaws at Victoria Park/Danforth... I was in gluten free heaven!! They had two isles of gluten free stuff! It was the most extensive selection I have seen so far.... and the products I usually buy at the health food store were also there and they were much cheaper! I guess I know where I will be shopping from now on!!!

Have a great day!

Karen

Ads by Google:

That's terrific.........I feel that way about the second floor of Fairways! :D Happy shopping!

AWESOME! too bad i live in california

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Topics

• How do you know what's causing what?
      Hi Kam,  I second everything that Cyclinglady has told you, but just to let you know that I be me intolerant to dairy before my diagnosis for coeliac disease. The 2npositive tests, were they both blood tests or one blood test and one endoscopy? If you are waiting to see them in the Endocsopy department, I think they will want to do one if you haven't had one already and in order to do this and get the correct result, you must eat gluten for at least 6 weeks before you can have the test done, because it is the gluten that causes the auto-immune result.  I too have a thyroid disorder, which was diagnosed long before I had been diagnosed with coeliacs disease. Also a couple of years after diagnosis I became intolerant to soya and xanthan gum and E464 (hydroxypropl methyl cellulose) which is quite often found in gluten free baking produce, including bread. A food diary is a good start, which has also been suggested, but don't jump the gun if you haven't had an endoscopy with biopsies yet. It is still possible to carry on with gluten free and dairy free diet if you are vegetarian, but it makes it a little harder and don't forget dairy free milk is usually fortified with vitamins and minerals.
    • Are The Following Gluten-free?
      You might have a corn intolerance or reacting to something else like gums or preservatives.   Just something to consider.  
    • Blood results - odd
      The OP's hemoglobin levels are below range indicating anemia.  Her ferrtin levels (iron storage) is very low.  Like you, my body processes iron just fine.  It was absorbing it that was my issue due to celiac disease.   This explains it better. http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/anemia/symptoms-causes/dxc-20183157 Excellent recommendation regarding the Vitamin D.  Other vitamins and minerals should be checked too.  What was odd, and perhaps you can clarify since you are in GB, can you not purchase iron supplements in a drugstore like Boots?    
    • A good diet for avoiding type 2 diabetes
      Fat.  Seriously.  It is what keeps you satiated and does NOT raise blood sugar.  I have been on a Low Carb, High Fat diet for 2-1/2 years.  I eat to my "meter".  I did a lot of testing the first month to see which foods raise my blood glucose levels (no surprise, everyone is different).  Buy a cheap meter and strips at Walmart and test it yourself.   I eat protein in normal amounts (too much and the blood can convert it to glucose), veggies, nuts, dairy, and some fruit.  I do cheat on this diet, but NEVER on the gluten-free diet.  My blood sugar has been close to normal ever since.   Butter melted on my veggies.  Heavy cream.  Avocados, olive oil, meat drippings, bacon.    Yum!   Finally, the American Diabetic Association is recommending this diet for some people.  Why not for all?  They thinks it is too hard to maintain it (they should try maintaining a gluten-free diet!) and to be honest, there is not a one size fits all for diabetics just like celiac disease (we all have our various tolerances beside the need to be gluten-free).   My GP disapproved at first.  Now, he says to keep doing what I am doing.  My cholesterol levels are terrific!  (Normal compared to being super low before I was diagnosed).   I started this LCHF diet because I know that I want to avoid medications for diabetes (insulin excluded).    My gut just can not take it.   I have been weaning my family off all the excess sugar that is so prominent in the Standard American..British..you name it .... diet.  I felt best when I went on this diet after being gluten-free for a year.   So, do your research.  Do what is best for you -- not for the herd!    
    • A good diet for avoiding type 2 diabetes
      Hi cristiana, The paleo diet and the ketogenic diet would probably be helpful to read up on.  Snack on protein, not sugar and carbs.  You should have protein with every meal.  Protein reduces the meal total glycemic index and lengthens the time before you feel hungry again.   Sugar and carbs shorten the time to feeling hungry again. Or you could just ignore the whole thing and eat lots of sugary foods and carbs like my brother does.  And go half blind and have joint pain and nerve pain.  Those sugary snacks are a poor trade for your health.  
  • Upcoming Events

• Blog Entries

• Recent Status Updates

• celiac sharon  »  cyclinglady

Hello cycling lady, have you noticed my picture is showing up as you?  Have no idea why but it's rather disconcerting to see my picture and your words 😉  Do you know how to fix it?  You seem to have far more experience with this board than I do
      · 1 reply
    • Larry Gessner  »  cyclinglady

Hi There, I don't know if there is a place for videos in the forum. I just watched "The Truth About Gluten" I think it is a good video. I would like to share it somewhere but don't know where it should go. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
      Here is the link if you have never watched it.
      https://youtu.be/IU6jVEwpjnE Thank You,
      Larry
      · 2 replies
    • ChiaChick  »  Peaceflower

Hi Peaceflower, Just wanted to say thank you for the chat.
      · 0 replies
  • Who's Online (See full list)

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    Ree8080