This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Why Am I Not Getting Better?

SarahTorg

SarahTorg Apprentice

I guess I just need to vent. I've been gluten free for many months now, and I've only cheated ONCE. I am careful, and I bake all my own treats, ect..

I do go out to eat every once in a while, but its rare now. Every time I eat out I get sick now.

My rash is so bad right now. I feel like saying screw it, I'll just eat whatever I want. I'm suffering still anyway. Now that I've been gluten free, I am even more sensitive it seems.

I must be glutening myself somehow, and I don't know how.

Or I remember someone mentioning iodized salt making the dh rash worse.

Could it be the salt? Now I'm starting to rethink my soaps and detergents as well. I'm so itchy right now, and I have some horrible, discusting scabs.

I'm having trouble sleeping too.

should I consider the dapsone drug? I am breastfeeding right now, and worry about that.

I just want to be better.

I think someone needs to invent one of thos magic erasers for dh.

LOL Excuse me. Its late, and I've been an insomniac for 4 days now.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Ursa Major Collaborator

You're right to question Dapsone while you're breastfeeding. First you should try to stop using iodized salt, switch to sea salt. Second, make sure your laundry detergent, fabric softener, soap, lotion, shampoo, conditioner etc. are all gluten-free. Plus, check your vitamins and check with the manufacturer that the vitamin E in your vitamins is not derived from wheat germ oil.

Even if your laundry detergent is gluten-free, it might be too harsh, it is worth a try to switch to something gentler than the regular detergent. I did that before I ever knew about celiac disease, and I stopped having that insane itch that kept me up at night. I am using Lame Advertisement detergent, and it's great.

Make sure you have no cross-contamination issues at home. Try to get a homeopathic eczema cream, it might help (it's helping me).

I hope you figure it out, I know that itching all over can drive you insane! I used to have welts everywhere from scratching so hard (even if no rash was visible).

Unfortunately, it can take anywhere from one to two years for the rashes to disappear. For some people its much faster, and for others it takes a long time.

Archived