Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ricotta Cheese

4 posts in this topic

I keep forgetting if ricotta cheese is safe or not. The only brands I can find in our Stop & Shop is Dragone and Stop & Shop brand. Could someone refresh my memory please?!!!

Thanks

Cali

Ads by Google:

I don't know if the stop & shop brand is safe, but ricotta cheese in general should be fine. Obviously, you need to check each brand because sometimes funny things get added where they shouldn't be.

Does s&s have a gluten free list? I go to Publix and they sent me a list of all their store brands that are gluten-free. It saves a lot of money when I can buy those things.

The only thing I wonder about in ricotta is the vinegar they use to curdle it, because it usually doesn't say distilled vinegar. After pondering numerous threads about vinegar on this website I decided to chance the major brands that list vinegar as an ingredient, and so far so good. I think I used Sorrento and maybe Shop Rite brands. You can look up the website for the makers and see if they will tell you, but I haven't had much luck with that. I did find some ricotta at Whole Foods that said gluten-free on the label, but it was about $6/pound (good old Whole Foods) so I don't think I'm going to be using that for lasagna and gnocchi at my house.

Good ideas-Thanks! I'm going to try the stop & shop website and Dragone. I'll let you know what I find.

Cali