This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Igg Positive

dmbaird1230

dmbaird1230 Apprentice

Back in 1998 I had bloodwork taken and my IGg antibodies were 17.1 (they should be <7) so I've been gluten free since then. I wanted to be 100% sure I have celiac so recently I went for bloodwork and it came back negative. I'm thinking of going for an endoscopy, but I wasn't sure if the positive IGg antibodies and the fact that the gluten free diet helps me is enough to diagnose me. The doctor doesn't seem to think that that's enough to diagnose, what does anyone else think?

Thank you.

~Denise

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

GEF Explorer

Denise,

Probably not... but, you never know. The fact that you're on a gluten-free diet can alter your biospy and blood tests. Many here will tell you that your improvement on the gluten-free diet is enough proof that your body is intolerant and some doctors will accept that as diagnosis in itself.

But, if you feel you need that diagnosis you might need to go back on gluten for a while (the gluten challenge) for more accurate results.

Good luck!

Gretchen

dmbaird1230 Apprentice

Another factor is that back in 1998 when I got that bloodwork done I also went to an allergist and they did a skin test and found out that I'm allergic to wheat.

GEF Explorer

An allergic reaction typically shows an IGE reaction, wheras intolerance.. the IGG & IGA. There are other's too, but I can't remember.

dmbaird1230 Apprentice

what does that all mean then?

dmbaird1230 Apprentice

what does that all mean then?

Guest gillian502

Elevated Igg levels can mean a variety of illnesses, not just Celiac Disease. celiac disease usually shows itself in elevated IgA and Ttg antibodies, as well as a few lesser known tests. If you are allergic to wheat, and feel better on this diet anyway, then stick with it. Couldn't hurt. If you were gluten-free for a long time before your test, though, your results are not going to be accurate, you 'd have to ingest gluten before the test to be sure of a reliable result.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

gf4life Enthusiast

You can be allergic to wheat AND be gluten intolerant. They are different reactions in your body, one in the immune system and one in the digestive system. But regardless, if you tested positive in the past, and improved on the diet, then you are most likely gluten intolerant. Whether it is severe enough to be called Celiac disease doesn't really matter, unless you have to have an actual doctors diagnosis. For that you would have to go back on gluten for at least 3-6 months and hope there has been enough damage done to your intestines to give accurate results. If you are gluten intolerant then going back on gluten will be torture for most people. Trust me, I had to do it and after two months I was so sick and the biopsy was still negative. I won't be doing that again! :blink: It was awful. Trust your instincts, and if you need to know if you have a genetic predisposition to gluten sensitivity you can get tested relatively inexpensively through Enterolab or ask a doctor for a gene test. Enterolab also tests for the lesser genes that are not considered Celiac genes, but cause gluten intolerance also. In my family we have both Celiac and non-celiac gluten intolerance. You can learn more about the gene test (that does not require you to go back on gluten) at Open Original Shared Link

God bless,

Mariann

Guest ~wAvE WeT sAnD~

It's up to you...I tested positive for IgG antibodies and my scope was negative...my GI said that I still have the disease, but I realize not all doctors are that open-minded.

Good Luck,

dmbaird1230 Apprentice

well, I've tried to do my own "gluten challenge" and yesterday and today I've eaten some wheat and yesterday I had lots of gas and today I have integestion pretty bad. My husband just thinks it's b/c I'm introducing something new to my diet, but I'm pretty sure it's from the wheat.

It's just hard b/c I'd like to get some answers but I don't have an appt. w/ a GI until Oct. 4th.

dmbaird1230 Apprentice

Marianne,

What's the difference btwn. being gluten intolerant and celiac?

~Denise

Alexolua Explorer
What's the difference btwn. being gluten intolerant and celiac?

Not much. Celiac Disease is just a gluten intolerance that has lead to damage of the lining of your small intestines. Both reguire you to do the same thing, aviod gluten. And some people, me included, can refer to a gluten intolerance, as Celiac Disease.

It's just hard b/c I'd like to get some answers but I don't have an appt. w/ a GI until Oct. 4th.

You can always call him to ask questions. Or more likely, leave a message with questions for him. And on another note, Oct 4th is my Birthday! =D

gf4life Enthusiast

Alexolua is correct. There is not much difference at all between the two. They both require lifelong adherence to the gluten free diet, and really the only medically recognised difference is that Celiac damages the intestines rather severely and is caused by different genes than those that have non-celiac gluten intolerance. Most doctors don't diagnose gluten intolerance, they wait until it is severe Celiac and then barely notice unless you are half dead! My doctor even admited that the only people she diagnoses with Celiac are the ones who have total villous atrophy (that is visable with the naked eye during the endoscopy) and are so thin from chronic diarrhea that they can barely function. I prefered to get on the diet in the earlier stages and never get to the point of being that severely ill. And if you don't have either of the main genes for Celiac then you might be told that you will never be Celiac, but that doesn't rule out gluten intolerance and the treatment is the same.

It is a bit confusing and most American doctors are decades behind the times.

God bless,

Mariann

dmbaird1230 Apprentice

Well, this past weekend I did my own "gluten challenge", I ate some stuff like pizza and wheat bread and I got my answer b/c both Sat. and Sunday I had gas and integestion/acid reflux, basically I felt the way I did before I went on the gluten free diet. So my husband and I just decided that I'll stay on the gluten free diet and forget about doing the endoscopy again. If I felt this bad eating gluten for 2 days I don't want to have to eat it for 3 months before the endoscopy!

So...on with the gluten-free diet!

GEF Explorer
So...on with the gluten-free diet!

Good for you, Denise! Hey, my Igg was the only thing elevated for a while (it was only 33 and normal was under 20) and I felt miserable and knew my body was telling me something was definitely wrong. I didn't do anything about it then, because well... because of lack of suport from my doctor(s) and because I was told not to worry. Let's see... a year later and the Igg is up and now I have a positive Iga. I think sometimes we've just got to do what we feel is best for our own body.

With no offense to the (3) doctors I've seen that think it's IBS.... I guess I can't expect them to do as much research as I do about it! :o

Good luck with everything and keep in touch!

Gretchen

Archived