4 replies to this topic

#1 Delta32

Delta32

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 22 January 2004 - 02:51 PM

I've been having some problems with augmentin, althoough i've never been allergic to it before.. I have a cold and a sinus infection, and have been shakey, nausious, stomache crampy, along with alot of other muscles, and difficulty breathing... similar symptoms of mine after eating gluten... does any one know if it is gluten free? i noticed it's not on the list of gluten free medications, but i don't know that list is a complete and final list... thanks for the help...
~erich

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 judy04

judy04

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 22 January 2004 - 09:40 PM

As a nurse, I would advise you to report this to your doctor right away.
Augmentin is penicillin and you could be developing an allergy, each time you take it could get worse, so please report this soon......like right now!!!
Take care..Judy
judy

gluten-free since 11/03, neg biopsy, IGA elevated

#3 shanmac

shanmac

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 30 January 2004 - 07:36 PM

Yes, Augmentin is gluten free. I too have sinus problems, and I called the company and they assured me that people call about that very often and that there is no gluten in it. I also sometimes take the antibiotic Cefzil, which is also gluten free, in case it ever comes up.

#4 Loey

Loey

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 06:48 AM

Yes, Augmentin is gluten free. I too have sinus problems, and I called the company and they assured me that people call about that very often and that there is no gluten in it. I also sometimes take the antibiotic Cefzil, which is also gluten free, in case it ever comes up.

I had never had a problem taking Augmentin until the spring. It triggered the illness (later diagnosed as Celiac) that kept me bedridden for 6 weeks. I agree that you should get in touch with your doctor right away. You can take an antibiotics for many years before ever having a problem with it. It is gluten free but I'm personally stearin clear of it. I hope you feel better soon!

Loey

#5 ksymonds84

ksymonds84

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 09:23 AM

I took Augmentin for a sinus infection 3 years ago, 2 months before diagnosed with gluten intolerance. I had horrible diarrhea, burning skin rash on my face and my fingers swelled up. It was the weekend and pharmacist said to stop taking them immediately. I always have wondered if my allergic reaction to the Augmentin escalated the gluten intolerance to where I was super sick a month later with the big D everyday?? I'm rambling...seems like an allergic reaction to me as well.
Kathy

Gluten free 3/08
Negative blood work/positive endoscopy
Fructose Malabsorption
Soy free

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: