- - - - -

For Women Only (please)

• Please log in to reply

20 replies to this topic

#16 Guest_Nukapai_*

Guest_Nukapai_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 August 2004 - 04:09 PM

I had terrible problems with heavy flow, lots of pain, dizzyness, mood swings, you name it - and for a few months I was getting my period every two weeks and was put on hormone therapy.

Someone suggested a hormone IUD (Mirena) and although it is fairly painful to insert and you can have continuous spotting for weeks after insertion, the end result is usually period-free 5 years! I certainly haven't had periods since it was put in and although I still get some of the hormonal cycle symptoms, they are a mere fraction of what I used to go through and there is no pain.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 Kathy_W

Kathy_W

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 30 August 2004 - 05:15 AM

Hi my name is Kathleen. I don't know if I am in the right area of the forum, but I need to find out some information. I too have mentrual problems. I have heavy bleeding and always have and they last 5 to 7 days. I am 45 now and going through menopause, I think. I get the the hot flashes from hell. I get a severe headache the first day of every period. I mean the put you to bed for the day type of headache. I have never had menstrual cramps or back aches, but have severe PMS. You can not live with me for the first day or so. I also have been diagnosed with SLE (Systemic Lupus Erythmetosis) in 1997. My Lupus doctor told me that Hormones are definitely out of the question. They could send me into a severe Lupus Flare. What I am wondering is do Lupus and celiac disease ever go hand in hand? I am being tested for celiac disease, because my twin sister has celiac disease and I have a lot of the symptoms of it. If anyone has any answers could they please post and talk with me about this?

Thanks
Kathleen W.

#18 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 30 August 2004 - 06:28 AM

Yes, celiac disease and most other autoimmune diseases are connected. I can't say if going gluten-free will relieve symptoms either from the lupus or the menopause, but there's certainly a chance of it.
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#19 Queen Serenity

Queen Serenity

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 31 August 2004 - 03:21 PM

Hi, all!
I am cursed, too, with a very heavy period, that lasts about 5-6 days on average. I have had Celiac's since 1995. I also get the mood swings, but I don't suffer from the bad cramping anymore. I think this occured, because I just gave birth to my 3rd child in May. I thought I was alone with the agony, but I guess I'm not. Do the hormones or birth control really work? Let me know.
Vicki :)

#20 Kathy_W

Kathy_W

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 31 August 2004 - 08:59 PM

Hi Vicki,
Thanks for your reply. I have heard that hormone pills do work, but they are not an option for me at all. I asked my Rheumatologist if I could try them, because my Sister-in-law is using them and they help with the hot flashes and he said absolutely not. He shot it down quick, fast, and in a hurry like, because he told me it will put me into a severe Lupus Flare. Oh well. If you don't have Lupus, ask your doctor about it.

Kathleen

#21 rgeelan

rgeelan

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 04 September 2004 - 02:04 PM

WOW! That is interesting to read because I haven't been diagnosed with celiac disease yet but we are testing our son and will get the biopsy back on Tues, he had + TTG blood tests.

I have always had horrible periods. I get sick as a dog, migrains, diarhea, vomiting sometimes... Heavy bleeding and cramps... I have been diagnosed with endometriosis and uterine fibroids and ovarian cysts... all have been diagnosed by surgery or mri/ultrasound. I just figured it was my luck, but since we have been reading and learning about celiac disease I have wondered if all my problems are related to it and I am a carrieer...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: