This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

How Quickly After And For How Long Do You Get Sick?

azmom3

azmom3 Contributor

I'm just curious how it hits everyone. Also, does it make a difference in how you feel depending on how much you had and/or what it was in?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

tarnalberry Community Regular

This question gets asked a lot, and the answer seems to vary greatly person to person, as well as depending on how healthy the person has been eating, the particular gluten they get (varies from person to person what causes the worst reaction), how long that person has been gluten free, and what other allergies they have.

For me, I can tell if I've been glutened sometime within 30 minutes to 4 hours, and the reactions last up to 6 days or so.

lonewolf Collaborator

I can tell 30 minutes to an hour. The past two times (once in a restaurant, once at a relative's house) I felt sick before I got up from the table. But it can change. A few months ago I thought for sure I'd accidentally eaten something and was ready for a reaction - nothing happened. I've only been glutened a few times in the past year though. Each time I get the big D for about 3 days and then get back to normal. (Brain fog too and just feel yucky.)

codetalker Contributor

I start feeling the symptoms within 3 to 5 minutes. The worse of the physical symptoms last up to 3 days with all of them usually gone after a week. The emotional component lasts about 2 weeks. It is usually marked by a very brief rush of euphoria. That may sound weird but a long time ago some other posters mentioned the same. No explanation why that happens.

Since I can normally tell within minutes that I am consuming gluten, I only experience slight glutenings.

blueeyedmanda Community Regular

I usually am sick within in the hour, very bad D and stomach cramps. I sometimes get very "foggy and sleepy" My head will get heavy and I feel like I am in a zone. I recover from the D within a few hours after taking the Immodium pill. The rest of me feels better anywhere from a few hours to a day or two, depending.

It really can vary, if you are very healthy I hear it can be worse symptoms and may take longer to heal. It all depends.

jerseyangel Proficient

For me, it takes about 2 hours for symptoms to begin.

My reactions used to last more than a week. The last couple of times (from CC, so a minute amount), it didn't last as long--a few days and I don't seem to get D nearly as bad, either. Now, my main symptoms tend to be nausea and anxiety/moodiness.

I've been gluten-free about a year and a half.

zansu Rookie

About 2 hours for me, but it can be longer. My reaction tends to be commensurate with the amount I ingest and whether I've been glutened recently (makes it worse). I'll have abdominal cramping (bad means I'll be doubled over and can't walk, nominal means pain but liveable) and D until my body feels it's gotten rid of the gluten. 3-4 hours or 3-4 days. Sometimes the next meal will set it off again (I guess the remaining gluten is floating around again setting off the autoimmune response). I just try to flush the system with safe food.

In the past, I know some rulers used to take small amounts of poison to make them more immune should someone try to poison them. I figure it's like that. When we ate gluten regularly, we had low(wer) key chronic problems. Now our body is purified, the poison yeilds a stronger, more acute reaction. That's my theory anyway.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived